Rough Times in Hattiesburg

golfingomez

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Good. They were some of the chirpiest ones when realignment was first happening. I am personally delighted at their failure. 

I had forgotten about that. If I remember correctly, their fans made quite a few comments when they left and had quite a few choice words to say about the teams from CUSA when they were going to the American.

• Upvote 3

I don't remember them bad-mouthing the teams that were going (maybe Charlotte).  Hattiesburg-Laurel is a small market and you would have to have an extremely good team to hope to advance.  If they could get a president, athletic director and a coach that can turn heads they might return as they had good attendance when they were successful.  They need money support in the worst way.  They're in a decent conference now but that takes money to be competitive.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I don't remember them bad-mouthing the teams that were going (maybe Charlotte).  Hattiesburg-Laurel is a small market and you would have to have an extremely good team to hope to advance.  If they could get a president, athletic director and a coach that can turn heads they might return as they had good attendance when they were successful.  They need money support in the worst way.  They're in a decent conference now but that takes money to be competitive.  

They could always steal more welfare money from the taxpayers.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I had forgotten about that. If I remember correctly, their fans made quite a few comments when they left and had quite a few choice words to say about the teams from CUSA when they were going to the American.

Yup, talked about how they were cutting the deadweight (us), how the Sun Belt was going to be light years ahead of the American (called it CUSA 2.0), etc. Them and Marshall fans talked incessantly on their way out so I don't feel sorry for them in the slightest. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 2

USM was once a Boise-type program back in the day.  They have a 36,000 seat on-campus stadium and have beaten several power programs, including Alabama 4 times, Florida St., Ole Miss, etc.  Southern Miss head coach Jeff Bower had 14 straight winning seasons from 1994-2007 including 6 Bowl wins (one over NT).  But, like mentioned, their football has declined and they are in a small market, thus have been left behind in realignment.  

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

On 10/18/2023 at 4:30 PM, NT80 said:

USM was once a Boise-type program back in the day.  They have a 36,000 seat on-campus stadium and have beaten several power programs, including Alabama 4 times, Florida St., Ole Miss, etc.  Southern Miss head coach Jeff Bower had 14 straight winning seasons from 1994-2007 including 6 Bowl wins (one over NT).  But, like mentioned, their football has declined and they are in a small market, thus have been left behind in realignment.  

Southern Miss's mistake was never capitalizing in their success. They could have potentially parlayed this into joining the Big East before markets became a thing in conference realignment and truly invested in their football program.

According to their fans, they have a history of incompetent admins and a lack of big money donors. Hell, the school endowment is only $100 million.

25 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

Southern Miss's mistake was never capitalizing in their success. They could have potentially parlayed this into joining the Big East before markets became a thing in conference realignment and truly invested in their football program.

According to their fans, they have a history of incompetent admins and a lack of big money donors. Hell, the school endowment is only $100 million.

USM got left behind in CUSA when the AAC formed in 2014 from a combo of Big East football schools and CUSA move-ups.  They were again left behind in this last AAC expansion and have since left CUSA for the SunBelt.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

And that's not a bad move either.  The SunBelt is a pretty good conference.

Absolutely.  All the C-USA teams left behind in the recent realignment to the AAC were all trying to get into the Belt.  LaTech fans were very upset their past shunning of ULM and LaLa kept them from an invite.  And I guarantee that WKU and MUTS would love to get back in it.  C-USA is probably the worst football conference at the present, while the Belt isn't all that far behind the AAC and MWC.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, NT80 said:

USM got left behind in CUSA when the AAC formed in 2014 from a combo of Big East football schools and CUSA move-ups.  They were again left behind in this last AAC expansion and have since left CUSA for the SunBelt.

I said before markets became a thing in realignment. Mid 2000s.