***Official Temple vs UNT Game Discussion***

GMG_Dallas

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

Great win by NT, great D today making stops and forcing turnovers. a well balanced offense that could run and throw. There's not much more you could ask for

If there is anything to talk about it is the tackling for extra yards. Lots of time first and even second contact doesn't end the play, and they get a bunch of extra yards. Also the offensive line is letting way too many unblocked rushers in. It may sound like nitpicking, but there is always room for improvement, even with a good showing. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

My take is that some of our fans are so programmed to bitch, piss, and moan that they can’t enjoy ANY win.  

Lose to a superior opponent?  “Why do we play these games?!  We’re so unmatched and the coaches didn’t have us prepared!”  

Lose to an evenly matched opponent?  “Fire the coaches!  Our recruiting is horrible and last year we signed a bunch of kids nobody else wanted…oh, they had some P5 offers?   Well, those offers must have been expired because the P5 coaches know what I know…the kids are terrible”

Win against evenly matched teams?  “They had injuries!  They played horribly!  We didn’t win as much as they lost….and I will conveniently forget that I predicted that same horrible team to run us off the field”  

Not all, not even most. But this describes a small but very vocal group. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

13,678. On a beautiful Fall Day. 
Embarrassing. People don’t care about North Texas Athletics. That’s the truth. 

If there were much over 6000 actual people in the stadium, I would be very surprised. 

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Crazy said:

I'm not going to talk bad about the defense, but I'm not giving them credit either.  That was one of the worse quarterbacks I've seen play college ball.  I give them more credit for last week's game. I'll take the win though....might be the last one we see for a long time.

Defense made plays when the game was still close. End of the first half, we got a 6 yard sack on 1st and 10. They punted a couple plays later to somewhat closeout the half as we didn't do anything with a bit over 1 minute to go. First drive of the second half, 4th and 2, obvious running situation, our weakness, and we stuff them for no gain giving our offense the ball with a short field. Don't give them credit if you don't want to but they had an opportunity to score to close out the first half and start the second half and got absolutely nothing. Instead they gave us a short field where we scored a touchdown.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

My take is that some of our fans are so programmed to bitch, piss, and moan that they can’t enjoy ANY win.  

Lose to a superior opponent?  “Why do we play these games?!  We’re so unmatched and the coaches didn’t have us prepared!”  

Lose to an evenly matched opponent?  “Fire the coaches!  Our recruiting is horrible and last year we signed a bunch of kids nobody else wanted…oh, they had some P5 offers?   Well, those offers must have been expired because the P5 coaches know what I know…the kids are terrible”

Win against evenly matched teams?  “They had injuries!  They played horribly!  We didn’t win as much as they lost….and I will conveniently forget that I predicted that same horrible team to run us off the field”  

But you can’t deny what’s going on with this program. UNT football has been running on a treadmill of mediocrity. What’s  helped was being in a weaker football conference like C-USA, which has kept us amongst the top half and given us bowl eligibility. While I definitely give them credit for doing just enough to achieve bowl births, we all want more. We want consistent good teams that could win these bowl games and even challenge mid to lower p5 teams for now. SL was a great step until the team plateaued after Mason Fine. We couldn’t build anymore afterwards.
This new hire should’ve been the next step up. It’s too early to tell, apparently, but should it really? The timeline should’ve suggested we progress and not regress. So, how many more years will it take to get his “guys” in to properly run his system, to set his culture, to “buy in” to what he’s doing? Will it be another 2-3 years? 
For me, that’s why I bitch. I want them to win. 

Edited by 3_n_out
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Defense made plays when the game was still close. End of the first half, we got a 6 yard sack on 1st and 10. They punted a couple plays later to somewhat closeout the half as we didn't do anything with a bit over 1 minute to go. First drive of the second half, 4th and 2, obvious running situation, our weakness, and we stuff them for no gain giving our offense the ball with a short field. Don't give them credit if you don't want to but they had an opportunity to score to close out the first half and start the second half and got absolutely nothing. Instead they gave us a short field where we scored a touchdown.

I won't. 

That team could move the ball one way...running it. And by the two times you mentioned, everyone in the stadium knew it.  All 600 of us. 😉

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, meangreenbob said:

13,678. On a beautiful Fall Day. 
Embarrassing. People don’t care about North Texas Athletics. That’s the truth. 

Mosley is a heck of a salesman...he had a bunch of folks buying in to Morris. Bill Utter should be ready to offer him a used car sales position. The season didn't start as hoped..people moved on. Those people and a 11:00am start you get 13000. What really is depressing is watching all the Band Parents leave after the halftime show.

WE WON!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

26 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

I won't. 

That team could move the ball one way...running it. And by the two times you mentioned, everyone in the stadium knew it.  All 600 of us. 😉

That's fine but for most of the season, we couldn't stop the run no matter what. Today, we made big stops on run plays. That's progress. I'll give credit for that.

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

That's fine but for most of the season, we couldn't stop the run no matter what. Today, we made big stops on run plays. That's progress. I'll give credit for that.

Absolutely! As I’ve said before…credit where credit is due. No matter what kind of team we play, the job still needs to get done…and by gosh, they did it!
Now, do something similar next week!

I still believe we need to blitz more. That’s gonna be my sticking point…since i’ve lost the will to fight against the 3-man front. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

Mosley is a heck of a salesman...he had a bunch of folks buying in to Morris. Bill Utter should be ready to offer him a used car sales position. The season didn't start as hoped..people moved on. Those people and a 11:00am start you get 13000. What really is depressing is watching all the Band Parents leave after the halftime show.

WE WON!

UNT is a music school…. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

UNT is a music school…. 🤷🏼‍♂️

yes, but this band and drumline are not good.  bad hire of a high school director to run the band.  drumline is the worst its been in decades.  they need to get rid of the announcement of the ¨best band in the land and the best drumline in college football¨....that is not true and not even close

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

It feels like we’re very selective with our blitzing.  Good things have usually happened when we do it, though. 

The one I happened to see was a smallish DB running right into an interior lineman. And, I don’t have to tel you the result of that blitz. 

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

I’m sick of the teases! When is Stone Cold going to come out on his four wheeler flying down the field and span the breaks to smash some bears and throw them down mid field! Enough teasing and make it happen UNT! 

Stone Cold was the toughest SOB in the WWE, but I don't think even he can smash some bears and throw them down field. He better stick to beer.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1