***Official Temple vs UNT Game Discussion***

GMG_Dallas

19 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

It was the worst attendance I've seen in several seasons for October on a sunny, pleasant day.  Honestly, it was embarrassing, even for an 11 a.m. kick.

It could have been 3500-4000 easily. I know the truth will upset some. 6000 would have been a very generous count. 

I am not sure who to get mad at; I hope the money is good. Anyone who has gone to the games for the last 20-plus years knows better.

Knowing your audience, customers, and fanbase is essential. Preaching to them won't help. It might be a bit different if the game was for a championship or an undefeated season. If the game had been at 5:00 pm yesterday, there probably would have been another 10-12k there. I have to figure this kind of early game kills the concession stands and others. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Watching UAB vs NutsaK game.  NutsaK looking good as usual.  Is Frank Harris a 10th year Senior or something.  He’s been the QB at NutsaK since forever.

Watched the second half.  If we don't get the blitz blocking corrected, Rogers may not be the QB for the last 3 games as he'll be in the hospital for a month.  Actually, if we don't fix it, he may get killed before the nUTSAck game.

• Puking Eagle 1

17 hours ago, THOR said:

yes, but this band and drumline are not good.  bad hire of a high school director to run the band.  drumline is the worst its been in decades.  they need to get rid of the announcement of the ¨best band in the land and the best drumline in college football¨....that is not true and not even close

I wish I could hear any plausible exclamation of the hiring of the band director.

I hope it turns out, but why did what someone; just called a music school, hire such a non-qualified marching band leader. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

It could have been 3500-4000 easily. I know the truth will upset some. 6000 would have been a very generous count. 

I am not sure who to get mad at; I hope the money is good. Anyone who has gone to the games for the last 20-plus years knows better.

Knowing your audience, customers, and fanbase is essential. Preaching to them won't help. It might be a bit different if the game was for a championship or an undefeated season. If the game had been at 5:00 pm yesterday, there probably would have been another 10-12k there. I have to figure this kind of early game kills the concession stands and others. 

I mean... This is why we have been asking to move conferences for years, right? For better TV money? This is the trade off. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

I mean... This is why we have been asking to move conferences for years, right? For better TV money? This is the trade off. 

Yes.  AAC is a huge step up.  We are on National TV in consecutive weeks.  But I can’t recall the last 11am kickoff in Denton?   Our fans are not programmed to 11am nor not knowing kickoff time until 10 days out.  

Our fans will adjust eventually, and wins certainly help push More positive talk.  Students are the biggest let down in attendance.  Where were they??

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Who are you arguing with? I was there I just know the reality. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, vpackrats said:

I wish I could upvote this post x10.  I saw the beatdown live yesterday and had a great time!  Then I come on the board this morning and thought I was reading a chat thread of a different game.  The tag line for this board should be "Where happiness goes to die" or maybe change the website from "Gomeangreen" to "The Bitching Zone".

You guys are reading the thread in hindsight.  The people are posting in real time. There will always be a big disconnect from post game highs (or lows). 

The discussion thread is a play by play that will see each play as raw as it is.

Should posters predict the future? Or wait until after the game to post? Or just have fun posting good or bad about the game?

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

3 hours ago, Udomann said:

You guys are reading the thread in hindsight.  The people are posting in real time. There will always be a big disconnect from post game highs (or lows). 

The discussion thread is a play by play that will see each play as raw as it is.

Should posters predict the future? Or wait until after the game to post? Or just have fun posting good or bad about the game?

I agree with the “posting in real time when it’s raw” premise, but I’ve checked game threads when I wasn’t able to watch the game and I would have bet good money we were down 21 points only to find out we were tied.  It’s crazy.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I agree with the “posting in real time when it’s raw” premise, but I’ve checked game threads when I wasn’t able to watch the game and I would have bet good money we were down 21 points only to find out we were tied.  It’s crazy.  

The Temple game thread for the NT game had about 50 comments for firing their head coach throughout our game, lol.

https://247sports.com/college/temple/board/104514/Contents/temple-north-texas-predictions-and-game-thread-217996845/?page=1

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, a prior high school director is a great resume for the NT band director.  

Can't tell if sarcasm or not. But what would be the expected prerequisites?

Guyer is a legit program and a great stepping stone to the next level. Maybe a mismatch for them on special interest (low football band iq vs high performance iq).  Nobody is ever going to go from a high level concert director position at the next level to a marching band and low level concert director. 

Qualifications for judgment: got a degree in trombone performance from UNT 

Edited by Udomann

2 hours ago, Udomann said:

Can't tell if sarcasm or not. But what would be the expected prerequisites?

Guyer is a legit program and a great stepping stone to the next level. Maybe a mismatch for them on special interest (low football band iq vs high performance iq).  Nobody is ever going to go from a high level concert director position at the next level to a marching band and low level concert director. 

Qualifications for judgment: got a degree in trombone performance from UNT 

I'm curious as to why there is no internal candidates in place that have a chance to move up. Is there no assistant directors or others that could have taken over? 

30 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I'm curious as to why there is no internal candidates in place that have a chance to move up. Is there no assistant directors or others that could have taken over? 

There really aren't any internal candidates at that level. Athletic band director usually also teaches the lowest tier concert bands. That would be the equivalent of promoting a graduate assistant to a full time coordinator. You want a few years of experience under them. 

On paper the hire looks solid. Sometimes things just need a year or two to work it out (right caponi?)

20 hours ago, Udomann said:

Guyer is a legit program and a great stepping stone to the next level.

I know less than nothing about this, but with the reputation of our band and drumline there should be directors from other FBS schools applying here to move up. We wouldn't need to look to high schools for a new leader any more than we'd do that for a head coach.

That would be insane.

No FBS program would ever do that.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree. Attendance was trash against Temple. But, I think a lot of that has to do with messaging. Morris needs to appeal to the fans to show up and be loud. He needs to implore the fans to be at DATCU and support this team as they grow into the team we expect them to be. Tell the fans how they can help give our team a real home field advantage, and how important that can be to our success.