Fire Caponi or Morris

97and03

15 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

Regarding the transfer portal, since NCAA has modified how athletes transfer, will we still have the same number of movement year in and year out? Seems like they are trying to discourage mass migration to major programs. not that we’re a major program, but this may make it a bit more tricky/complicated to gain transfers. 

The NCAA recently made unlimited yearly signings if you don't exceed 85 permanent. If Morris chose, he could clean house as much as he wanted.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

ottom line..2-3 years of so called putting Morris game plan in place which to me looks similar to that of recent coaches we've had. NT never gets out of the rebuilding process.

This is shameful that we are rebuilding when we are not supposed to be. Jared and Neal sold us on Morris would not be a rebuild, but the guy to take us to the next level in the American. After reading Vito's article, apparently Morris himself thinks this is a rebuild or at least that's what I read into it. Here is a quotation from Morris in that article.

“You can tell that the competitiveness and buy-in from this team for four quarters is going up,” first-year coach Eric Morris said. “It will be huge for us as we go forward as we build this program.

That sounds like a rebuild to me, but we are not supposed to be rebuilding.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

As I've asked before please show me one coach from the Mac Leach tree that has ever emphasized defense.

Is there an air raid coach that has won a championship at any level? NFL, FBS, FCS, D3, NAIA, anything? They win games by outscoring their opponents, but can't win championships because those games have great defense played whereas Leach disciples have no defense. I could be wrong though.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, Venson said:

Is there an air raid coach that has won a championship at any level? NFL, FBS, FCS, D3, NAIA, anything? They win games by outscoring their opponents, but can't win championships because those games have great defense played whereas Leach disciples have no defense. I could be wrong though.

I am not anti-Morris, but this is so true. Have AL or GA won recently because of great offenses or defenses?  Would McCarron, Jones or Bennett be considered great QB’s?  Line play and defense wins championships.  We won during the Dickey years because of a kick a$$ defense and a solid offense led by good to great OL’s and a QB that would be considered a great leader and manager of the game. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Venson said:

Bob Stoops comes to mind, but others as well. Saban, Day, Dabo, Briles, Dykes etc.

Plenty of coaches have won at the highest level with high octane offenses. Not pure air raids per se, but nobody really runs a pure air raid anymore. Regardless, all of these teams are running air raid concepts in their offenses. As is the majority of the country.

• Oh Boy! 1

15 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Bob Stoops comes to mind, but others as well. Saban, Day, Dabo, Briles, Dykes etc.

Plenty of coaches have won at the highest level with high octane offenses. Not pure air raids per se, but nobody really runs a pure air raid anymore. Regardless, all of these teams are running air raid concepts in their offenses. As is the majority of the country.

Not sure it's the system or high-octane offenses as much as it is massively out-talenting (is that a phrase) everyone else they play.  These teams (coaches) you mentioned have been able to attract better, bigger, stronger, faster athletes at every position.  There's some coaching involved, sure, but when every guy is better than the one across the line from them, talent usually wins.

• Upvote 1

well if Morris doesn't make a change at DC at the end of the year (doubt he does before the end of the year) then he going to die on that hill.  They both maybe out of job if they dont improve the defense and learn to adjust at half time.  We have a failure to adapt to what is going on the field.  SL had the same problem.  Isn't the air raid offense like 25 years old now?

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Stoops, Saban, & Swinney are not Air Riad coaches, and they have all won at least one National Title. None of these guys came from the Leach coaching tree. But they do/did employ air raid OC's (Stoops/Mike Leach, Saban/Steve Sarkisian (Norm Chow offense), & Swinney/Garrett Riley,). 

Briles and Dykes are from the Leach coaching tree, but they have no national titles. Defense still wins championships.

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

On TV, two backs ran back to the punter at the same time, and the ref called it a motion penalty. Either way, Navy stopped themselves. on that drive. 

They were trying to draw us off sides. I thought it was so obvious, but I guess at least one person was fooled!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Nope…. Just get the penalty to have extra space for the punt. 

If that’s all they were doing, they would have just taken a delay of game.  

Honestly, I thought they were going for it.  The one RB seemed upset that the other one went in motion.  Based on field position and the way they had run the ball all afternoon, wouldn’t have been a bad decision.

Edited by NT93

14 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Jesus Thomas I would hate to see how you react to someone who wasn’t a friend. I have been following this shitty program since 1997. Not sure why I would stop now. 
To the substance of your post: Rogers deserves criticism for not holding on to the ball but man he was left hung out to dry on both those plays with no TE or RB in the backfield to help pick up the defenders that had a free run at him. (On a related note I have us seen a ton of empty backfield sets this season and I am not sure what benefit they bring. We almost never throw to the RB and we lose a man in protection.) The coaches failed to adjust to Navy’s pressure. In fact, they got more pressure in the second half. We have up EIGHT sacks, ffs. So sure Rogers gets criticism for the fumbles but also credit for a 75 yard TD run and completing over 60 percent of his passes. Cleveland catches that pass in the end zone on the second drive and we win. Or if we come away with points on the first drive instead of shotgun runs on the goal line and passing up the easy 3 points and instead doing what? Run from the shotgun on the goal line. And that’s on Morris. 
On the defensive side, we gave up 400 yards with those 27 points. And we were lucky it was only 27 because most of the “stops” we got were from Navy getting in their own way with a penalty or a bad pass. Navy also adjusted better by distributing the ball to the backs after starting out with all QB runs. I will give credit to Craponi for mixing up the front for this game and also doing a good job of rotating players to try to keep guys fresh but they couldn’t keep Navy from long sustained drives in the second half when it mattered. And I guess we should be glad they run a slow ball control offense because as others have noted, they probably only scored 27 because of a limited number of possessions. 
In the end, we got out coached. I think a lot of that is the inexperienced coaches Morris brought in (including himself to a point) and their failure to recruit to the systems they wanted to run. This is especially glaring on defense, where we are undersized at DE and LB. And then they went forward with their plan without the guys to run it. On top of that, the tackling has been atrocious but much of that has looked to me to be partially due to guys in the wrong place or taking the wrong angle. It’s bad however you slice it. 
So that’s where my “vitriol” toward the coaches come from. They have failed to beat the winnable teams at the front of our schedule and it only gets tougher from here. We (rightly) fired a guy who padded his resume beating weak teams and brought in a guy to lose to creampuff FIU because there are no training wheels at this level. Real programs would make a change at DC (or would have already) with these results. Yes, I know we are just “little ole UNT and should just feel lucky we have a team at all” but if we fired a guy who made the conference championship and a bowl, doesn’t that signal that we as a program want more? So eat the overpaid DC’s contract and make a change! Would also be a good idea to have a real OC instead of the Head Coach running the offense. Instead we have a lot of JV assistants.

youre awesome....and i can speak my mind because you are my friend.  sorry if i came off hard, just didnt understand the hatred after a good game by the team.  ya, they lost, ya they gave up 400 yards, ya rogers messed up twice, ya the coaches messed up, but they had a chance to win and held a good offense to just 27.  north texas should win any game they allow 27.  

as somebody said earlier, maybe i should just stick to tailgating.  i saw plenty of good, but i dont pay attention like many of yaĺl do.  

be good, stay safe out in the world, and we will have beer when ya make it back home.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, THOR said:

youre awesome....and i can speak my mind because you are my friend.  sorry if i came off hard, just didnt understand the hatred after a good game by the team.  ya, they lost, ya they gave up 400 yards, ya rogers messed up twice, ya the coaches messed up, but they had a chance to win and held a good offense to just 27.  north texas should win any game they allow 27.  

as somebody said earlier, maybe i should just stick to tailgating.  i saw plenty of good, but i dont pay attention like many of yaĺl do.  

be good, stay safe out in the world, and we will have beer when ya make it back home.

Good effort, but it's not something we can be content with if we want to improve. All of those things don't matter if you can't get the +1 in the W column. If this is the start of some improvement that leads to wins it will be a good sign of growth, but if we flounder in the same way the rest of the season we will have shown a stagnant team that is not fundamentally working. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am not anti-Morris, but this is so true. Have AL or GA won recently because of great offenses or defenses?  Would McCarron, Jones or Bennett be considered great QB’s?  Line play and defense wins championships.  We won during the Dickey years because of a kick a$$ defense and a solid offense led by good to great OL’s and a QB that would be considered a great leader and manager of the game. 

I wouldn’t describe our Dickey offense as solid by any stretch of the imagination. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Travis said:

I wouldn’t describe our Dickey offense as solid by any stretch of the imagination. 

Had back to back leading rushers in the nation. It wasn’t exciting, but it was consistent and produced wins in conference. I didn’t like that DD seemed to not really try for upsets. 

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, THOR said:

north texas should win any game they allow 27.  

I agree.  I think any Air Raid offense has that philosophy.  I said during the Briles years at Baylor that you had to recalibrate what was considered “good” defense.  For those Baylor teams and for several OU teams (and maybe for USC this year), give up 35 points and there’s a very good chance you’re winning the game.

That being said, I realize this game was a little different with Navy’s ball control offense…but we still should have won.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Had back to back leading rushers in the nation. It wasn’t exciting, but it was consistent and produced wins in conference. I didn’t like that DD seemed to not really try for upsets. 

It did produce wins against a conference full of teams that should have likely been in a lower division.  I did love the solid RB's that we always have here.  But his offense was consistently out-coached and massively imbalanced outside of the mcneese states of our conference. Our offense, while good in running, still was quite poor overall save for a few years we had mediocre output.

2000: 111
2001: 81
2002: 101 total offense
2003: 54
2004: 53
2005: 113
2006: 115 

I wouldn't describe that as solid by any stretch. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 10/8/2023 at 9:59 AM, Venson said:

This is shameful that we are rebuilding when we are not supposed to be. Jared and Neal sold us on Morris would not be a rebuild, but the guy to take us to the next level in the American. After reading Vito's article, apparently Morris himself thinks this is a rebuild or at least that's what I read into it. Here is a quotation from Morris in that article.

“You can tell that the competitiveness and buy-in from this team for four quarters is going up,” first-year coach Eric Morris said. “It will be huge for us as we go forward as we build this program.

That sounds like a rebuild to me, but we are not supposed to be rebuilding.

"Build this program" that went to a conference championship last year as well as a bowl game... Both of which we have a next to zero chance of qualifying for this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

"Build this program" that went to a conference championship last year as well as a bowl game... Both of which we have a next to zero chance of qualifying for this year.

A conference championship and bowl game program that everyone was so proud of that we fired the coach? In all the SL conversations no one was near this proud of that program that had been built. But the second anyone suggests it might take a little time to elevate the program, everyone loves to point out how great this program was doing under SL...I truly don’t get it: This may not have been a down to the studs rebuild, but it certainly wasn’t move-in ready.

• Upvote 4

On 10/9/2023 at 1:38 AM, THOR said:

Passion is better than apathy! All good. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

A conference championship and bowl game program that everyone was so proud of that we fired the coach? In all the SL conversations no one was near this proud of that program that had been built. But the second anyone suggests it might take a little time to elevate the program, everyone loves to point out how great this program was doing under SL...I truly don’t get it: This may not have been a down to the studs rebuild, but it certainly wasn’t move-in ready.

I was far from proud when Seth was promoted to fan from coach.  May have been necessary, but it wasn't a proud moment.

Fans were sold an oceanfront property in Arizona by the new AD and a new coach on how we could springboard up from the point we were at.  At this time, we are diving down into an empty pool.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1