Something To Keep In Mind With Transfers

BillySee58

With Colorado, there was no question of the talent level bought in. Texas State seems to have done something right. I have heard there is a bit of a not-so-friendly competitive relationship between Morris and Kinne. There seem to be a lot of similarities between the two. It will be interesting to see how they fare against each other.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, greenminer said:

@BillySee58 what are your thoughts on how/why Colorado and TxState saw success in year 1 with so much portal turnover?  Are they exceptions to a rule? Have they figured out a formula? Do they like pie?

Texas State has such a quick rise because Kinne was able to bring over essentially the whole Incarnate Word team. The team was the number 2 team in all FCS last year. I honestly believe that team would have beaten North Texas last year. The Irony of that is Eric Morris recruited virtually every one of the kids to Incarnate Word. Now Tx State also added some P5 talent as well. But there are also some kids from Utah State and Utah Tech as well. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

48 minutes ago, greenminer said:

@BillySee58 what are your thoughts on how/why Colorado and TxState saw success in year 1 with so much portal turnover?  Are they exceptions to a rule? Have they figured out a formula? Do they like pie?

JayD hit the nail on the head. A lot of guys playing in the same system they were in the year before. The day we bring in a Head Coach/OC/DC who brings players with him, then I’ll expect those guys to be ready to go from day one. Otherwise I expect a year of growing pains.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Texas State has such a quick rise because Kinne was able to bring over essentially the whole Incarnate Word team. The team was the number 2 team in all FCS last year. I honestly believe that team would have beaten North Texas last year. The Irony of that is Eric Morris recruited virtually every one of the kids to Incarnate Word. Now Tx State also added some P5 talent as well. But there are also some kids from Utah State and Utah Tech as well. 

Why didn't Morris get some of those ICW kids or even Washington state? 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

He took the QB and the best WR to WSU. I don’t know why they didn’t more. Kinne came in at Incarnate Word and I am sure built relationships. 

UIW was coming off a good playoff run, and they were pumped up. It was not a question of if Kinne was leaving but where he was going. He had probably been setting the stage for several weeks.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Look at the game Maclin had. 122 yards and 2 scores. He averaged 27 yards per game last season. It usually takes these guys a season before they really start impacting the game.

We have seen this historically here. Texada was decent in 2021 but he really became a top defender in 2022. Marcus Trice was not even honorable mention all conference his first season in 2012, then was 1st team all CUSA the next season. 

We can go on down the list but this is generally pretty true for the FBS transfers we have brought in over the years. It usually takes a season. I know we all want a quick fix but the irony is you still have to be patient with guys from the portal too. 

My bigger concerns are
1) the number of incoming vs outgoing (we need much larger incoming numbers)
and (related)
2) losing the majority of HS recruits that do become good players to other teams

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, DentonStang said:

We have found transfers that are making an impact on their current team make an immediate impact.  Players that are riding the bench transferring to get their opportunity usually need some time to adjust.

Implied, players that are making an impact on their team BEFORE transferring to a new team.  UNT has historically gotten only a few of those guys. 

My question is WHY would a kid transfer if he's already an impact player on a team?  That doesn't make sense, and the first conclusion that most would draw is that he's being recruited away from that team.  

I get that there are exceptions, kids come back closer to home to be near sick family, etc.  That just seems to be the outlier now.

This new transfer portal world is being portrayed as teams actively recruiting players off of other team's rosters.  Something has to be done to correct this, if it truly is the case.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I want to see us continue to go after FCS and D2 players standing out for their teams. Also, just like in Basketball, I believe a lot of good JUCO talent is being missed out on as teams are now using the portal more. 

I can say yes to JUCO. There are studs out there that were just too immature in HS. But they're out there. 

Not sure if going D2 or FCS with consistency is a sword I would want to fall on. Sure, some are out there, but in many to most cases they are there because they are meant to be there. 

But in this age of all things go, I would have my recruiting staff on every Sunbelt program, CUSA program and G5 and under collegiate program in Texas and states that border Texas. Then... start poachin.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

My question is WHY would a kid transfer if he's already an impact player on a team?  That doesn't make sense, and the first conclusion that most would draw is that he's being recruited away from that team.  

All kinds of reasons.  Homesick. Change in family situation. Change in position or head coaches. Just doesn't like position coach. Doesn't like the offense/defense.  Grad transfer. Change in destination schools coaches and want to play for them.  Current team is not good and wants to win.  Contributing now but recruited over with someone even better.  Personal beef with teammates (imagine WR and doesn't get a long with QB thus never gets targeted)

And yes, direct tampering

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I want to see us continue to go after FCS and D2 players standing out for their teams. Also, just like in Basketball, I believe a lot of good JUCO talent is being missed out on as teams are now using the portal more. 

You can do better.  Look at Texas State.  No way they are money whipping people. You could do the same. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas-state/Season/2022-football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24240

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

All kinds of reasons.  Homesick. Change is family situation. Change in position or head coaches. Just doesn't like position coach. Doesn't like the offense/defense.  Grad transfer. Change in destination schools coaches and want to play for them.  Current team is not good and wants to win.  Contributing now but recruited over with someone even better.  Personal beef with teammates (imagine WR and doesn't get a long with QB thus never gets targeted)

And yes, direct tampering

Also girls .

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, keith said:

I hear a lot of excuses.

This is an odd interpretation. The post isn’t even about the Cal loss. It’s simply a reality check for impatient fans who are hoping portal additions are going to come in and save the day on day one next season. The guys we get in the portal this upcoming offseason are more likely to make a difference in 2025 after going through some growing pains in 2024, based on our operating information.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

My bigger concerns are
1) the number of incoming vs outgoing (we need much larger incoming numbers)
and (related)
2) losing the majority of HS recruits that do become good players to other teams

We had a coaching change. I don’t understand how this continually gets overlooked. Guys are going to transfer when the coach who signed them gets fired. If this deficit exists because of Morris’ signees leaving then the concern will be valid.

As for losing the majority of HS recruits that become good players, the players who have left have almost all been guys who left during the coaching change or guys who played 4 seasons here then took that extra season because of COVID elsewhere.

Again, if we see guys who were actually signed by Morris leaving, I’d be concerned but that wasn’t happening under Littrell. Guys he signed were playing 4 years for him, and only were really leaving for that extra COVID season.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I agree with this. Give me these type of dudes over P5 guys who don’t even show up on their two deep.

• Upvote 2