Something To Keep In Mind With Transfers

BillySee58

On 9/4/2023 at 1:20 PM, BillySee58 said:

Look at the game Maclin had. 122 yards and 2 scores. He averaged 27 yards per game last season. It usually takes these guys a season before they really start impacting the game.

We have seen this historically here. Texada was decent in 2021 but he really became a top defender in 2022. Marcus Trice was not even honorable mention all conference his first season in 2012, then was 1st team all CUSA the next season. 

We can go on down the list but this is generally pretty true for the FBS transfers we have brought in over the years. It usually takes a season. I know we all want a quick fix but the irony is you still have to be patient with guys from the portal too. 

So what you are saying again is the administration set the new coach up for this by retaining an essentially lame duck due to past performance Seth Littrell in 2022?  Without the conference upgrade and big realignment looming, I would have understood holding on to Littrell.  Because the job wasn't going to get harder with better conference competition.  If you were staying in CUSA with same competition, you could sit back and say "hey all we have to do is beat UTSA to get over the hump".   But thinking Seth was going to put together a team to beat SMU (we didn't know they were leaving so soon back then), UTSA, Memphis, Tulsa, and Tulane (or at least 3 of these 5) in one season in the near future to win the AAC was insane, if they actually believed that. 

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

So what you are saying again is the administration set the new coach up for this by retaining an essentially lame duck due to past performance Seth Littrell in 2022?  Without the conference upgrade and big realignment looming, I would have understood holding on to Littrell.  Because the job wasn't going to get harder with better conference competition.  If you were staying in CUSA with same competition, you could sit back and say "hey all we have to do is beat UTSA to get over the hump".   But thinking Seth was going to put together a team to beat SMU (we didn't know they were leaving so soon back then), UTSA, Memphis, Tulsa, and Tulane (or at least 3 of these 5) in one season in the near future to win the AAC was insane, if they actually believed that. 

There is no way they believed that. Seth was fired begrudgingly. Donors, the ones that mattered, wanted him. I think the administrators were looking for an eject strategy. I think the two parties set parameters with each other in that final year. IOW, we are a horribly ran and led athletic department. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1