Stone Earle Named Starter

TheReal_jayD

23 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

UTSA ass-kiss Mike Craven made sure to take a swipe at not only Rogers but Stone, also

No matter why/how it happened, he was never a top 5-7 QB in Texas heading into 2023. If he was, he’d be starting over the ACU transfer who couldn’t factor in last season.

What a pile of 🐔 💩  he can be at times.

He's a UTSA alum, so take that with anything he says.

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

38 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

UTSA ass-kiss Mike Craven made sure to take a swipe at not only Rogers but Stone, also

No matter why/how it happened, he was never a top 5-7 QB in Texas heading into 2023. If he was, he’d be starting over the ACU transfer who couldn’t factor in last season.

What a pile of 🐔 💩  he can be at times.

Mike Craven may have a legit nervous breakdown after Traynor becomes Jimbo’s heir apparent at TAMU.

As it is, I’m not sure the AlamoDome is large enough (as Kyle Field will be) for Traynor’s ego. Just watch & listen to that guy. Would love to play poker with that RR’s face (& the egomaniac attached to it). 

(Hope to see all these guys & more on September 2’nd)  ***That day was a “white out” game hence the white T-shirts. 
IMG_8977.jpeg.48cdd182e17bfdbd65abeea48b9034ef.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I feel like Stone forced their hand but they feel obligated to also play Rogers because they convinced him to transfer here thinking he would win the job easily.

Honestly, should coaches really care so much about the guys emotions? Stone won it, Stone get's 110% of the support. If you have to spend every game looking over your shoulder because they just aren't quite sure, then your focus is divided and you are at a major disadvantage. 

You play Rogers on specific packages that screw with the opponents heads, but you commit everything else to Stone unless he pulls a Greere and has the most epic choke game of all time (looking at you UT game)

• Upvote 6

23 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Honestly, should coaches really care so much about the guys emotions? Stone won it, Stone get's 110% of the support. If you have to spend every game looking over your shoulder because they just aren't quite sure, then your focus is divided and you are at a major disadvantage. 

You play Rogers on specific packages that screw with the opponents heads, but you commit everything else to Stone unless he pulls a Greere and has the most epic choke game of all time (looking at you UT game)

I get that, but sadly you got to think longer term. The moment when they will dip back into the portal will come in a not too distant future; hopefully not for QB, but certainly for a number of other positions. Players talk to each other. You don't want to become the staff with the reputation of making promises they do not keep. It will make life difficult down the road. Managing emotions of the second string to keep them engaged is more necessary now than it was 5 years ago.

p.s. by that I don't mean they should give equal time, just that it is important to manage emotions.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

I get that, but sadly you got to think longer term. The moment when they will dip back into the portal will come in a not too distant future; hopefully not for QB, but certainly for a number of other positions. Players talk to each other. You don't want to become the staff with the reputation of making promises they do not keep. It will make life difficult down the road. Managing emotions of the second string to keep them engaged is more necessary now than it was 5 years ago.

p.s. by that I don't mean they should give equal time, just that it is important to manage emotions.

Plenty of players transfer without starting at their new home. I think it's actually worst to be the staff that just gives starting jobs to whoever they promised it to instead of letting the best man win. Most of these guys have gone their lives competing for and earning everything. No reason that should stop in college.

I'm curious about where this "promise to start" rumor came from, anyways. I'd imagine it was more a promise of a truly wide-open QB competition since the previous starter, Aune, was leaving and there was a new coach. Not everyday that combination happens.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If you look further down on that same page... it was as a QC coach.   
We already had that guy in Quinn Shanbour.  And quite honestly, I wish we still had him around. 

This is Brophy's first job as an actual coach.

Yes, but he played in the system for three years before becoming a coach.  If Morris is willing to put his confidence in Brophy, that’s good enough for me. There’s a lot riding on making the right call here.  And if it’s not the right call, it sounds as like Rogers will get playing time early in the season.   I’d prefer to have one defined QB 1, but they didn’t ask me. 

• Upvote 3

I'm just gonna say I feel vindicated from last year calling for Earle to play more (mostly because I had watched his film from ACU).

We'll see how all this pans out. Still haven't seen the team play under Morris. And I think some (not all, Aune was still a bad decision machine) of the QB trouble for the past few years is receivers coaching, which Morris should be able to help with.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The Green Room (Brune and Collin) really put a negative spin on this (it looks like they checked in with Mike Craven first to maintain the DCTF party line). It seems like a couple of guys who can't understand how the person the anointed (Rogers) was not given the job on a silver platter. I like the guys, but this was one of the worst Pods that have ever done. Both, especially Collin, very negative.

I noticed that as well.  I think they were extremely negative about Stone winning the job.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The Green Room (Brune and Collin) really put a negative spin on this (it looks like they checked in with Mike Craven first to maintain the DCTF party line). It seems like a couple of guys who can't understand how the person the anointed (Rogers) was not given the job on a silver platter. I like the guys, but this was one of the worst Pods that have ever done. Both, especially Collin, very negative.

Of course, when Rogers came in they said he wouldn't actually have to compete for the job "because that's not how real coaching staffs work" (or something to that effect).

EDIT: Okay, I just watched about half of this new Green Room, and it doesn't sound like they wanted Rogers to be handed the job without earning it.  It seems their main concern is with the way Coach Morris framed it--that he wasn't convinced and clear enough that Earle is THE QB this season.  I think they're overreacting, but their concern is understandable.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

8 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

I really feel bad for Rogers as he was promised a starting job and chose us over a CAL offer.  He would have started for them!!  It will sting.

Seriously, are you just making this up or do you know this as a fact?  If so, what/who is your source?

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

There are smart ways to do two quarterbacks and dumb ways to do two quarterbacks. I trust that these coaches have been around enough good quarterbacks that they’ll do it the smart way.  I’m excited to see these guys compete against unfriendly competition!

I would love to hear one good example of a time the two QB system has worked?? It’s notoriously been terrible in almost every instance. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, TheNewEra said:

I would love to hear one good example of a time the two QB system has worked?? It’s notoriously been terrible in almost every instance. 

What do you mean "two QB system"?  Almost every team in the country has more than 1 QB take snaps during the course of a season.  Unless you have some insider information, none of us knows how Coach Morris plans to get Chandler into the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1