PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

15 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

John David Wicker is SDSU's AD. 

Which part is fake news?: That SDSU was the ringleader of such a try, or that they tried at all, or that it failed?

Its actually just a smart way by the AD to deflect of what is actually going on and not to have to give any details of what they are trying.

Edited by outoftown

42 minutes ago, rws69 said:

No they haven't. Check out comments on PonyFans.com • View forum - Football

PonyFans is about as irrational a site as there is. If you want to check in on SMU, I would recommend their 247 site.

https://247sports.com/college/smu/board/smu-fan-football-recruiting-message-board-forum-105959/ 

19 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

ACC would be smart to lock up that 209th placed basketball, 7-6 football, and 1/3rd full stadium before someone else does.

SMU’s pitch to the ACC:

“We’re not great at anything we do athletically…and we don’t really have fans…but we have money! How about we pay YOU to be in the ACC? Deal?!”

EDIT: I just saw this and realized my spoof pitch isn’t too far off.

Edited by MeanGreenGlory
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

47 minutes ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

I understand Cal and Stanford wanting to be in the ACC for football, but it'd be a nightmare for all other sports.   Maybe they'd join the ACC for football and the AAC for everything else (with OSU and WSU as full members).   Stanford would be a huge get.

You can't have sports split across conferences. If the conference you are in sponsors that sport, your sport must play there. That's why every football only member has it's olympic sports in a non-fb sponsoring conference. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Green Mean said:

In reality, the remaining PAC 4 teams have no interest at all in being associated with the MWC or AAC. The 4 of them are using both of the conferences to buy them time and see what they can come up with in a short and/or long term plan. I think PAC has gotten hit so bad that I'm not sure the conference survives b/c it's not like they'll be able to command any sort of good TV deal that they've been used to getting. 

Of course if you're commissioners of the MWC and AAC respectively, you at least show that you're trying and make calls but I don't have any reason to think the remaining 4 PAC teams have any interest in being associated with the MWC and AAC.

If somehow they end up in one place or the other, they will bolt the first chance they get to get associated back with the traditional P5 schools.

I think this is true for Stanford and Cal. My guess is OSU and WSU are legitimately open to either the AAC or the MWC but they realize they're worth more to any conference, and media rights renegotiations, as a package of 4 rather than just 2. Why rush joining any conference when their remaining big of Stanford has yet to make a move? If Stanford and Cal don't join the ACC, Stanford probably goes independent and the last 3 join either the MWC or the AAC.

Regarding bolting at the first P5 opportunity that presents itself, any school currently in the MWC or AAC would do the same. I don't fault any of those 4 for doing the same down the road if they end up in the MWC or AAC in the intermediate.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

Looks like SMU is still trying to crawl over glass and shake their money maker to go anywhere with a “power” label.

If SMU goes to the ACC with Stanford and Cal, and the AAC picks up Oregon State and Washington State, I’d consider it a net win for the AAC. 

Yikes, didn't the ACC take note of what happened to the PAC when they considered adding SMU?! That ship sank faster than the Titanic. I'm sure the sequel will be just as entertaining as the original. 🍿🥤

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Aresco doesn't need to wait on cal and stanford. Piss on them. Go snag oregon st and wazzou immediately. This is not about being the best. Sec/big10 have that covered. This is about fielding exciting and competitive athletics that position is to be a part of that next tier. Whoever snags those 2 will be considered better, and rightfully so. It's imperative the AAC is the conference that gets them. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

I also agree to just go full-steam ahead for Oregon State and Washington State. They seem more willing to join a league and seem to favor the AAC over the MWC. Finalize Oregon State and Washington State joining the league, and then if the ACC doesn’t take Cal and Stanford, the AAC has additional leverage to land them. From there, the AAC would have the prestige to add the top couple of schools from the MWC when their exit fees decrease and solidify a position as a top five conference  

Part of the allure of bringing any PAC teams in is to keep the conference name so that you keep the autonomy label (for however long that lasts, but they have it right now), as well as basketball credits, CFP money, bowl ties, withheld conference payouts, etc. Those things are the only things that are giving the PAC schools any leverage, choosing to join the AAC right now would be foolish of them. They will wait and see what happens with Cal/Stanford and after that is resolved they will plan what to do next. 

• Upvote 2

ACC to Clemson and FSU:

"please don't go....tell you what, we'll add Stanford, Cal and another one"

Clemson/FSU: "Stanford, Cal and who?"

ACC: "You know, the school. We'll add them. Stanford, Cal and anther one.

Clemson/FSU: "yeah but who is the 3rd one?"

ACC: "Just...please don't go. Don't worry about it. We're adding some stuff and things. Stanford! We're adding Stanford! Please?! They don't even want any money. They'll pay their way. Plus Stanford!"

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

If government funding pays for everything, why do schools so aggressively seek donations?

Again tons of schools don’t have FBS football, educate thousands of students, and continue to grow.  FBS programs aren’t paying for themselves in increase donations to general scholarships funds and other non athletic funds.  There are far more universities that don’t play FBS than do play FBS.  Even UT could drop FCS tomorrow and it would have NO impact on their academics.  And even though they are rich with state funding and endowments they still ask for donations.  UTSA was a decent, large and growing school my ex girlfriend graduated from there before there was UTSA football.  So let’s stop the nonsense of trying to justify the need for any of these programs to exist. They are EXTRA-curricular to the mission of an institution of higher learning.  I love football.  I love my school. And I love Mean Green football.  But I see what going on and I prepared for the worse.  This is the beginning of the end and a system steeped in such hypocrisy with no commitment than the biggest check is going to crumble when completely exposed to the free market.  This is what happened to the PAC 12.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

SMU’s pitch to the ACC:

“We’re not great at anything we do athletically…and we don’t really have fans…but we have money! How about we pay YOU to be in the ACC? Deal?!”

EDIT: I just saw this and realized my spoof pitch isn’t too far off.

Word is they’ve also thrown out the following to entice the ACC:

- All games declared “road” games for SMU since the opposing teams’ fans will be the only ones in attendance anyway

- SMU administrators will only speak when spoken to during meetings

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Word is they’ve also thrown out the following to entice the ACC:

- All games declared “road” games for SMU since the opposing teams’ fans will be the only ones in attendance anyway

- SMU administrators will only speak when spoken to during meetings

I heard they’ve also agreed to:

- Continue to generate mediocre results while fostering a “fan base” that publicly proclaims they’re superior to everyone else and God’s gift to earth

Edited by MeanGreenGlory
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

If you truly hate SMU……you want to watch them do this.  Really pay their way into the ACC and watch what happens next. 

We’ll be back in the same conference with them in a few year only they’ll have spent all those millions to end up right back where they belong. 

I was thinking the very same thing. Very well might happen. 

• Upvote 2