North Texas helmet script hate

eternalmtg

I know we HAAATE the North Texas script around here but I saw this tweet about best SEC helmets and most of the votes went to helmets with scripts (Ole Miss). So I wanted to dig deeper into why we hate OUR version SO much, maybe I'm missing something. #GMG 🟢

Screenshot_20230719_175243_Twitter.jpg.8a229595fd7121db74deacea648bcb38.jpg

• Puking Eagle 2

A.  The only thing this poll shows is which fanbase has been the most active on the poll.

B.  Our script helmets looked very amateurish.

C.  Plenty of folks around here liked the script helmets.  I wasn't one of them, but they were probably the majority ca. 2006 until we got the SOW on the helmet.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

A.  The only thing this poll shows is which fanbase has been the most active on the poll.

B.  Our script helmets looked very amateurish.

C.  Plenty of folks around here liked the script helmets.  I wasn't one of them, but they were probably the majority ca. 2006 until we got the SOW on the helmet.

A. Those fans message boards don't complain about the script like we did.

B. its just script, only difference is they have it outlined in white.

C. I just don't remember most wanting anything to do with it. Many seem to think it was our absolute worst helmet.

Again, I'm just trying to make sure I'm not missing anything, it just never fully added up to me.

Anything that looks like it was just printed off from MS-Word just isnt trying.    Looked to me like someone forgot to design a helmet decal and the night before the game, RV printed this off, and ran to Joe's Copies (if youre old enough, you get that joke...) and made a bunch of stickers...

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

I think for me it was just that it, and later the other font NORTH TEXAS, wasn’t complimented by a decent uniform, and we used those logos on everything.  We abandoned any Eagle related graphics entirely and just used text which just all looked and felt pretty meh.  
That said, I wouldn’t hate to see it incorporated in things on occasion with better branding around it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

43 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

Anything that looks like it was just printed off from MS-Word just isnt trying.    Looked to me like someone forgot to design a helmet decal and the night before the game, RV printed this off, and ran to Joe's Copies (if youre old enough, you get that joke...) and made a bunch of stickers...

That's exactly what the helmets looked like.  Not a classic script, like the Florida helmets, but like a font off MS Word.

And your post reminds me of the first time I saw those helmets.  I had not been able to make it to a game that season (or the previous season, for that matter), and a Tennessee fan had us over to watch the New Orleans Bowl at his and his wife's place.  And he was laughing at the helmets, imitating an announcer saying, "We'd like to thank Bob for the helmets."  I liked them less than he did.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

8 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

That's exactly what the helmets looked like.  Not a classic script, like the Florida helmets, but like a font off MS Word.

And your post reminds me of the first time I saw those helmets.  I had not been able to make it to a game that season (or the previous season, for that matter), and a Tennessee fan had us over to watch the New Orleans Bowl at his and his wife's place.  And he was laughing at the helmets, imitating an announcer saying, "We'd like to thank Bob for the helmets."  I liked them less than he did.

It was poor Administration confidence.  How would viewers know who we were? (without having to spell it out)  

We were starting to get more TV exposure, with the Bowls, and Cable channels picking up some Big West and Sun Belt games.   RV thought we needed "North Texas" on everything, especially helmets.

It was also a transition away from the Helwig mid-1990's era of green, navy, and burnt orange Eagle logos (likewise awful)...

UNT Mean Green Logo PNG Transparent & SVG Vector - Freebie Supply

UNT Mean Green – Logos Download

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

On 7/19/2023 at 11:47 PM, meanrob said:

I didn’t hate it but like other things in the RV era, it was taken from somewhere else. 

Yeah I didn’t hate it when we started using it but we had several other designs from our history that are just better.  I kind of wish they would have stuck with the flying worm.  It was singularly unique and if we had stuck with it would be instantly recognizable as UNT more so than the newer swooping eagle wing helmets confused with Oregon often.  To me what separates NFL and college is tradition, school spirit and rivalries.  You can see a grainy photo with no context of Alabama vs Tennessee from over 60 years ago and instantly know who is playing.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

You can see a grainy photo with no context of Alabama vs Tennessee from over 60 years ago and instantly know who is playing.  

As opposed to today when you might have to watch a game for a few minutes to figure out who’s playing.

• Upvote 1

The scripted North Texas seemed out of place to me because everything else on the uniform is in block letters and numbers.  Also, the current trend is to go with UNT so I'd be inclined to go with UNT on the helmet with the diving eagle rather than the feathers that we now have.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 5

17 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

The scripted North Texas seemed out of place to me because everything else on the uniform is in block letters and numbers.  Also, the current trend is to go with UNT so I'd be inclined to go with UNT on the helmet with the diving eagle rather than the feathers that we now have.

I am not a fan of the Oregon feathers on our helmets.  I am also not a fan of putting UNT on the helmet.  

We need a logo that fits well on the helmet and is ours alone.  Hummm......

Visual History of the Flying Worm - University of North Texas Athletics

• Downvote 1

On 7/20/2023 at 6:20 PM, tmjerm said:

I think for me it was just that it, and later the other font NORTH TEXAS, wasn’t complimented by a decent uniform, and we used those logos on everything.  We abandoned any Eagle related graphics entirely and just used text which just all looked and felt pretty meh.  
That said, I wouldn’t hate to see it incorporated in things on occasion with better branding around it. 

I think there is some revisionist history is going on here. Not only did we still use eagle logos during the script days, it even still had EAGLES spelled out in the end zones at Fouts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 7/20/2023 at 7:52 PM, NT80 said:

It was poor Administration confidence.  How would viewers know who we were? (without having to spell it out)  

We were starting to get more TV exposure, with the Bowls, and Cable channels picking up some Big West and Sun Belt games.   RV thought we needed "North Texas" on everything, especially helmets.

It was also a transition away from the Helwig mid-1990's era of green, navy, and burnt orange Eagle logos (likewise awful)...

UNT Mean Green Logo PNG Transparent & SVG Vector - Freebie Supply

UNT Mean Green – Logos Download

Will Smith No GIF

• Eye Roll 1

On 7/23/2023 at 7:14 AM, UNT 90 Grad said:

I think there is some revisionist history is going on here. Not only did we still use eagle logos during the script days, it even still had EAGLES spelled out in the end zones at Fouts. 

I guess I’m referencing the period immediately following that when we switched to black face masks 03-04ish.

Edited by tmjerm