Breaking: North Texas lands QB Cash McCollum

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

Why are his offers not great? Us, tulsa who is down and Arkansas state,  the rest lower level. I was hoping we could win a sought after qb recruit.  This looks like the same gets that Seth would pick up

I think this is a fair concern. Especially because he has the prototypical height. Bean’s offer list looked better, but pretty comparable to Bryce Drummond and Cade Pearson, better than Kason Martin’s and Fine’s. 

Will definitely give Morris the benefit of the doubt. QB is one of the positions I probably care the least about offer lists, surprisingly. Get a guy you like and develop them. In a  year it doesn’t matter if your offer list looks like Jace Ruder’s, Stone Earle’s, or Chandler Rogers’.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

You cannot teach 6-4 with big arm out of high school.  Good pickup.

Then why isn't everyone already on him?  No red flags right now - too soon - but a kid that size with that arm should have some people's attention already, right?

Just playing some devil's advocate on here.  His film looks good, and better that he is outta HS than some portal xfer that would be loaded with questions.  I think if he has a big fall then it is going to be hard to keep him.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Then why isn't everyone already on him?  No red flags right now - too soon - but a kid that size with that arm should have some people's attention already, right?

Just playing some devil's advocate on here.  His film looks good, and better that he is outta HS than some portal xfer that would be loaded with questions.  I think if he has a big fall then it is going to be hard to keep him.

From what I've heard he has had camp invites from SMU, TAMU, TCU, and others. You can expect his offer list to grow. Since he isn't from a 6A or 5A school, it may take a little longer for him to get on the radar compared to others. At the moment, his recruiting is starting to heat up and is only going to keep going upward throughout his senior year. He has the skills, stats, and size to tear it up anywhere. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, p_phelps said:

Why are his offers not great? Us, tulsa who is down and Arkansas state,  the rest lower level. I was hoping we could win a sought after qb recruit.  This looks like the same gets that Seth would pick up

ULL, Tulsa, UNT and ArkState are his bigger offers. As to why, I have no idea. Kid can play the game at a very high level. He's the kind of kid that can come in and be a freshman starter, granted with bumps along the way, to a very productive upperclassmen years. 

Oh, and middling "P5" programs will sniff around. It's inevitable. Glad to have him on our side and here's to hanging onto him. 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Coach is a proven evaluator and developer of qb talent. Congrats to all. GMG

I don't know if you're seen this interview Sanoe did with Brophy, but I was quite impressed with this guy. I think Morris has a real gem here, and I think this coach will do wonders with a QB like Cash. Personally, between the WR's we've got committed and Cash, I'm very excited about the future of our offense. 

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, p_phelps said:

I'm not saying he can't be good.  I'm just going off offers compared to our conference mates. 

Smu QB commit has offers: MIAMI,  VIRGINIA TECH, MARSHALL,FAU, GA TECH 

Uab commit: auburn, Arkansas,  app state,Florida,  Georgia, Miami 

Utsa conmut offers: us, byu,army, Indiana

Memphis QB commit: us, utsa,  Utah St, Tulane

Tulane commit: airzona, utsa, Memphis, 

ECU commit: central Michigan, app state, uab, Memphis,  Marshall, liberty 

Tell me Cam Wards offer list. Tell me Mason Fine offer list. Hell Pat Mahomes only had 3 offers. I still think it is a while to December. We will see how it playes out 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Tell me Cam Wards offer list. Tell me Mason Fine offer list. Hell Pat Mahomes only had 3 offers. I still think it is a while to December. We will see how it playes out 

There's maybe 60-70 schools with at least 1 QB commit for the 2024 class. In my short 10 years of following this nonsense, it appears most schools don't bring in more than 1 HS scholarship QB in each class. After all, you only really get to play 1 QB on the field at a time save for the occasional wildcat stuff. Not like a lineman or skill position player where you need several on the field at once.

Do you foresee his offer list really growing that much in terms of lower tier P5s snooping around or will that really just depend on how many schools lose their early commits as we approach signing day? Tends to be a domino affect of one desperate P5 gets a lower tier P5's commit who then goes after a G5's commit. Outside of that scenario, how much attention do you really see him getting unless he goes berserk his senior year?

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

There's maybe 60-70 schools with at least 1 QB commit for the 2024 class. In my short 10 years of following this nonsense, it appears most schools don't bring in more than 1 HS scholarship QB in each class. After all, you only really get to play 1 QB on the field at a time save for the occasional wildcat stuff. Not like a lineman or skill position player where you need several on the field at once.

Do you foresee his offer list really growing that much in terms of lower tier P5s snooping around or will that really just depend on how many schools lose their early commits as we approach signing day? Tends to be a domino affect of one desperate P5 gets a lower tier P5's commit who then goes after a G5's commit. Outside of that scenario, how much attention do you really see him getting unless he goes berserk his senior year?

I think it is mainly the domino effect. But there is many factors. 10 years ago it was just the coach leaving. new coach gets hired. Now there is portal as well. depending how his senior year goes I dont imagine him getting many more. Like you said most teams just take one QB.. if they even take one. But I don't understand the freaking out of just "10 offers". Morris and Brophy identified a QB that ran the triple option in HS. He has turned out to be one of the best QB in the PAC-12. This staff has been extremely picky on QB they have offered and targeted. I think they liked Arrington Maiden that went to Memphis. I am not sure they were super high on the QB that went to UTSA. They were high on Cash for a while. I am excited about his size and potential. He is also the son of a coach as well as a winner. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

He will get more offers. That is a matter of fact. Kid can ball. Really, really ball. I am genuinely surprised the likes of Tech, Okie State, KState, Mizzou, etc aren't sniffing around already. And, sure, they might have their QB situation already settled in with their guy. I have no idea. But he is a day 1 competitor for QB1 at UNT. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

He will get more offers. That is a matter of fact. Kid can ball. Really, really ball. I am genuinely surprised the likes of Tech, Okie State, KState, Mizzou, etc aren't sniffing around already. And, sure, they might have their QB situation already settled in with their guy. I have no idea. But he is a day 1 competitor for QB1 at UNT. 

The Positivity

I Like It Reaction GIF by CBC

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

The Positivity

I Like It Reaction GIF by CBC

It's just realism. And with realism, there are negative and positive parts to it. This just happens to be a positive part of that realism. I have been around TXHSfootball a time or two and I am very familiar with this QB. This is a big time grab. People need to get excited about this. I suspect no more peer type G5 type offers given that he is committed to us, but I do suspect the typical middle of the pack P5 regional programs to give him a sniff. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I think it is mainly the domino effect. But there is many factors. 10 years ago it was just the coach leaving. new coach gets hired. Now there is portal as well. depending how his senior year goes I dont imagine him getting many more. Like you said most teams just take one QB.. if they even take one. But I don't understand the freaking out of just "10 offers". Morris and Brophy identified a QB that ran the triple option in HS. He has turned out to be one of the best QB in the PAC-12. This staff has been extremely picky on QB they have offered and targeted. I think they liked Arrington Maiden that went to Memphis. I am not sure they were super high on the QB that went to UTSA. They were high on Cash for a while. I am excited about his size and potential. He is also the son of a coach as well as a winner. 

Yeah I really don't care much about the offers with exception of the top P5s and Ivy league offers. I love having a smart player behind center. Being a great athlete is fine but if I have to worry about you constantly making dumb mistakes then that's a problem. Being a winner is a big deal too. It's not always about talent. You have to learn how to turn that talent into success, what that feels like, and then how to replicate it repeatedly through pressure and adversity. I'm hopeful.