Breaking: North Texas lands QB Cash McCollum

• Coach Andy Mac changed the title to Breaking: North Texas lands QB Cash McCollum
7 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Why are his offers not great? Us, tulsa who is down and Arkansas state,  the rest lower level. I was hoping we could win a sought after qb recruit.  This looks like the same gets that Seth would pick up

You don't understand recruiting.  This kid is heating up meaning he is getting invites to Texas A&M camps by Bobby Petrino and other big schools are starting to take interest.  He is about to blow up and we may be luck to hold onto him.   Recruiting is all about timing.  You cannot teach 6-4 with big arm out of high school.  Good pickup.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

When Lugo committed to UTSA I was mad. At the time, I said we had to land McCollum, who I think is actually better than Lugo. McCollum has it all. This guy reminds me of Jackson Arnold. This is a great day to be a Meean Green fan. Welcome aboard Cash!

Now let's go get some linemen to protect him.

Bingo and for the record they wanted McCollum way more than Lugo.  Much bigger upside.  The only downside to McCollum and why he didn't have more early offers was his level of competition at CS.  They are not 6A and that makes him more of a risk.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

He's coming off a 4A State Championship season where he passed for 3,201 yards and 37 TDs. He rushed for 454 yards and 6 TDs. I know QBs are not the only reason for wins and losses, but for comparison the QB we lost to UTSA won 4 games last year and the one we lost to Rice won 3 games. I watched a few minutes of his tape, and I was impressed.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/12019628/631d4370345316040cfc8ffa

• Upvote 4

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

I will take the bait. This QB is better than any QB Seth brought in not named Mason Fine. I trust Coach Morris and Brophy QB evaluations alot more that Seth and his imaginary QB coach the last 4 years. Just look at Eric Morris track record of QBs the last decade. I wouldn't be surprised if Cash doesn't pick up 5-10 more offers between now and December. Especially if he takes another step up after his State Championship run last year. 

I'm not saying he can't be good.  I'm just going off offers compared to our conference mates. 

Smu QB commit has offers: MIAMI,  VIRGINIA TECH, MARSHALL,FAU, GA TECH 

Uab commit: auburn, Arkansas,  app state,Florida,  Georgia, Miami 

Utsa conmut offers: us, byu,army, Indiana

Memphis QB commit: us, utsa,  Utah St, Tulane

Tulane commit: airzona, utsa, Memphis, 

ECU commit: central Michigan, app state, uab, Memphis,  Marshall, liberty 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

7 minutes ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

You don't understand recruiting.  This kid is heating up meaning he is getting invites to Texas A&M camps by Bobby Petrino and other big schools are starting to take interest.  He is about to blow up and we may be luck to hold onto him.   Recruiting is all about timing.  You cannot teach 6-4 with big arm out of high school.  Good pickup.

I understand recruiting well. This essentially a commodity business.  The more people that want the recruit the higher the commodity.  Doesn't mean he can't be good I'm just looking at the general consensus of college football as they tend to be the experts. I don't think you understand recruiting as much as you'd like to think.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 3

45 minutes ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

This is the slippery slope for a G5 taking a quality high school player.  Either we have to hope a P5 shark doesn't snatch him before he signs with us, or that he stays once we have him in the program.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

57 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I trust Coach Morris and Brophy QB evaluations alot more that Seth and his imaginary QB coach the last 4 years. 

I can't say I trust anybody yet. But he has a roomful of QBs to choose from and make it work this year. We get solid QB and decision making this year and that'll go a long way in gaining trust from the fan base. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1