Breaking: North Texas lands QB Cash McCollum

Morris doing exactly what I said he would... He's picking up the bums from Texas that nobody else wants. What does it tell you that a zero star quarterback out of China Springs, TX, with no P5 offers, and only 3 other FBS offers is getting this level of hype from the fanbase. 

At the very least Littrell would recruit nationally and bring some respectable names to the program. Mark my words, this TX high school experiment will fail in the exact same way that the Dodge era did... But then again, you can never expect a Texan to learn their lesson!

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 12
  • Downvote 12
  • Puking Eagle 6

7 hours ago, rojomojo said:

Morris doing exactly what I said he would... He's picking up the bums from Texas that nobody else wants. What does it tell you that a zero star quarterback out of China Springs, TX, with no P5 offers, and only 3 other FBS offers is getting this level of hype from the fanbase. 

At the very least Littrell would recruit nationally and bring some respectable names to the program. Mark my words, this TX high school experiment will fail in the exact same way that the Dodge era did... But then again, you can never expect a Texan to learn their lesson!

Bless your heart buddy. One of these days your prefontal cortex will fully develop and the troll posts will stop. 

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I think it is mainly the domino effect. But there is many factors. 10 years ago it was just the coach leaving. new coach gets hired. Now there is portal as well. depending how his senior year goes I dont imagine him getting many more. Like you said most teams just take one QB.. if they even take one. But I don't understand the freaking out of just "10 offers". Morris and Brophy identified a QB that ran the triple option in HS. He has turned out to be one of the best QB in the PAC-12. This staff has been extremely picky on QB they have offered and targeted. I think they liked Arrington Maiden that went to Memphis. I am not sure they were super high on the QB that went to UTSA. They were high on Cash for a while. I am excited about his size and potential. He is also the son of a coach as well as a winner. 

I really am excited about this player. If you go back and look at the Lugo thread you will see what my initial thought was. At best he was the third or fourth best Qb in his district last year. 

Cash— welcome to the Green and White! 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, rojomojo said:

Some of the best players in the history of our program were high school players recruited by Todd Dodge. If we can get that level of talent, we will be fine assuming we have the right coordinators.

• Upvote 7

16 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I still remember the day I asked my wife to marry me.  Immediately after she said yes, my friends said “I’m gonna hold off on the congratulations until I know who her other offers were.”  

I feel the same way.  My woman's 24/7 scouting page says I'm her only interest, but she has at least one other offer.  For now, she remains 100% committed, but I can't up my NIL game, so we shall see.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

You don't understand recruiting.  This kid is heating up meaning he is getting invites to Texas A&M camps by Bobby Petrino and other big schools are starting to take interest.  He is about to blow up and we may be luck to hold onto him.   Recruiting is all about timing.  You cannot teach 6-4 with big arm out of high school.  Good pickup.

His brother is an A&M quarterback.  It wasn't an invite; he did it on his own.  He did not get an offer.  I don't know his brother's classification.  Maybe they are only a year apart.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, rojomojo said:

Stopping being such a disrespectful a-hole. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

By your definition Cam Ward is/was a bum. And Frank Harris. And Mason Fine. And I would take all three as QB at the moment 

Frank harris offer list was significantly better.  Again,  I'm not saying he can't/isn't good. But the offers don't support it. We've talked FOR YEARS don't look at rating,  look at offers. When you make a small criticism that the offer list isn't great, the pitchforks come out 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

32 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Frank harris offer list was significantly better.  Again,  I'm not saying he can't/isn't good. But the offers don't support it. We've talked FOR YEARS don't look at rating,  look at offers. When you make a small criticism that the offer list isn't great, the pitchforks come out 

Frank Harris big offers were for Safety. His QB offers were UNT, UTSA,  ULM, Bowling Green and Rice. 

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 4

On 7/14/2023 at 3:45 PM, Jdawg48 said:

Let's look at the positives right now yall...

He's currently committed to UNT.

He still has another year of HS ball to develop and showcase what he has. He is definitely going to have bigger offers if he continues the way he is playing.

Keep in mind dude has so much time left to grow and get better. If we can hold on to him, this could be BIG TIME. 

Also really cool to see other current commits and players reach out to him congratulating him! We need more of that. 

All I want is for us to keep him. We have had other players that accept NT offers as Juniors and then change their mind when other offers come in. 

Edited by Danish43
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, p_phelps said:

I think this is a fair and constructive point. You are correct to point out that this has been our measure here for several years. It would be intellectually dishonest to to shift the goalposts just because we are excited about a new verbal. 

Kid looks good to me but what do I know. The good news is that a conference rival is one of those offers, which means a peer program believes he is AAC level. I also seem to recall an Ivy offer, which means he is taking care of his academics. These two data points and his on field accomplishments give me reason for optimism, while still having some skepticism based on the offer list being a little light.

Edited by 97and03
  • Lovely Take 1

On 7/15/2023 at 7:47 AM, Cr1028 said:

Some of the best players in the history of our program were high school players recruited by Todd Dodge. If we can get that level of talent, we will be fine assuming we have the right coordinators.

TD's problem was never getting players; it was surrounding himself (for whatever reason) with coaches who were unprepared for the college game. UNT lost a generational opportunity due to the incompetence of the AD and President at the time. 

• Upvote 7

On 7/14/2023 at 1:50 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

I will take the bait. This QB is better than any QB Seth brought in not named Mason Fine. I trust Coach Morris and Brophy QB evaluations alot more that Seth and his imaginary QB coach the last 4 years. Just look at Eric Morris track record of QBs the last decade. I wouldn't be surprised if Cash doesn't pick up 5-10 more offers between now and December. Especially if he takes another step up after his State Championship run last year. 

@TheReal_jayD I think Cash's upside is tremendous. My question, and not sure if it would be an issue, is that he seems to start his throwing motion from a low point, in almost a pitcher's windup motion. We he arrives on campus, do you think they will try to change this in his game?

• Upvote 2

On 7/15/2023 at 12:26 AM, rojomojo said:

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=f7d210b1f8d002c

• Upvote 2