Breaking News: Mansfield Legacy TE Brandon Young Jr Commits to North Texas (With Quotes from Brandon Young Jr)

8 hours ago, Danish43 said:

Sounds great but anything can happen between today and 24.

I used to have a supervisor who taught middle school English in her first career. When anyone in our unit would discuss a plan of action on any case we were working, she would always remind us "There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip"

I always think of that every time someone announces that a HS Junior has made a commitment to UNT.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

• TheReal_jayD changed the title to Breaking News: Mansfield Legacy TE Brandon Young Jr Commits to North Texas (With Quotes from Brandon Young Jr)
1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

We are 5.5 months away from National Signing Day. 

I hope they change the rules where players can sign at the start of their Senior year, as some coaches have pushed for, according to Footballscoop.com. I think this would help G5s and also protect players.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I hope they change the rules where players can sign at the start of their Senior year, as some coaches have pushed for, according to Footballscoop.com. I think this would help G5s and also protect players.

If it helps G5s it won't happen 

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

Never thought of that.  Guess we should stop posting any updates on the 24 class.  What day would you say is it okay to begin?

No not really and the updates have already started in him pledging to play at NT as of yesterday. Between now and December 2023, he may have other schools interested in him and his pledge to NT can change has we have seen before. My point is to be realistic that this talented young man that we need for our offense and our expectations as fans, will not become reality until he signs on December 2023.
Does that clear up any other reservations you may have?

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Kudos El Paso Eagle.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

With the portal and kids being able to transfer whenever they want to I don't think the signing date is that important any more. Brandon is an Early grad so he will be able to get on campus by Jan.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

So are we just too depleted at TE to really use them this year? Morris doesn't seem to use TE's often in his offense regardless, so I'm curious how they're gonna be used long term.

Def depleted at the moment. I think Morris and co. plan on using TE more than in the past. But a player like Brandon give you some position flex. At his size he could stick at TE but also could put on weight and turn into a tackle like Jacob Brammer. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Def depleted at the moment. I think Morris and co. plan on using TE more than in the past. But a player like Brandon give you some position flex. At his size he could stick at TE but also could put on weight and turn into a tackle like Jacob Brammer. 

TheReal_jayD I was thinking Tackle— mainly b/c it seems as though we are struggling to get true high end tackles to commit. We seem to get IOL but not tackles. If this is the plan, brilliant.

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

With the portal and kids being able to transfer whenever they want to I don't think the signing date is that important any more. Brandon is an Early grad so he will be able to get on campus by Jan.

That is good news.

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

We have two TE's listed on the roster and both are undersized.

Christian Lee (6'3" and 214 lbs) is more of an H-back and I am excited to see what he does this year.

Xzavior Kautai (6'0" 235 lbs) is an unknown and built more like a fullback or LB.

We will pick up Joshua Smith (6'2" 230 lbs.) as a JUCO but it appears he won't be on campus until later this summer.

Is there any room left in our '23 class to add a transfer out of the portal?

Seydou Traore would be a great add but again has the build similar to Lee and an H-Back.

• Upvote 1