The Football Stadium on Bonnie Brae

UNTLifer

On 6/20/2023 at 7:35 PM, MeanGreen22 said:

With the Allen stadium news, wouldn’t at all be surprised to see HEB as the sponsor. Starting to expand in the area, stadium right off the 35 intersection. Makes some sense if you squint a little. 

Mosley said no to HEB last night!

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

On 6/13/2023 at 6:02 PM, Mike Jackson said:

And am aerial shot of the Acme brick plant (with finished brick loads sitting out)  scrolling over to Acme Stadium with some kind of iconic brick structure with Mean Green and an eagle logo it on game broadcast would be cool.  

Isn't the existence of the Acme plant in Denton a taboo subject?  Something about the abnormally high instances of asthma in children in and around Denton?

• Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 6/25/2023 at 3:09 PM, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Isn't the existence of the Acme plant in Denton a taboo subject?  Something about the abnormally high instances of asthma in children in and around Denton?

Never heard that but North Central Texas region is one the worst areas in the country to live if you have allergies.  Asthma usually goes hand in hand with Allergies.  I grew up in Denton, with allergies and serval of my cousins in the DFW area had asthma and allergies but I never heard Acme plant being a source of inflammation.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Never heard that but North Central Texas region is one the worst areas in the country to live if you have allergies.  Asthma usually goes hand in hand with Allergies.  I grew up in Denton, with allergies and serves of my cousins in the DFW area had asthma and allergies but I never heard Acme plant being a source of inflammation.  

Today I learned something new

There is the AAFA: Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, and they have put together the 100 worst places to live with allergies.

https://aafa.org/asthma-allergy-research/allergy-capitals/

There is a similar report/ranking for asthma

Dallas comes in at 45, El Paso (my hometown, which I think is much worse) is 56th.

• Upvote 3

On 6/25/2023 at 8:21 PM, Mike Jackson said:

Never heard that but North Central Texas region is one the worst areas in the country to live if you have allergies.  Asthma usually goes hand in hand with Allergies.  I grew up in Denton, with allergies and serval of my cousins in the DFW area had asthma and allergies but I never heard Acme plant being a source of inflammation.  

I seem to have rustled some jimmies with my comment based on all the multiple negative post reactions.  

While I can't find any reference to the article when searching Google, I specifically remember seeing a piece 15-20 years ago, complete with maps of Denton neighborhoods flanking 377 near 35E (Acme Brick plant location), showing the higher-than-average counts of kids with asthma.

Just a memory, we can editorialize my memory of said article over in The Eagles Nest if people get bored 😁

• Upvote 3

On 6/22/2023 at 7:20 PM, DentonLurker said:

This isn’t really surprising. HEB doesn’t appear to have Denton very high on the priority list.

Which is disappointing. I wish they would stop focusing all their attention on their superstores and look at adding some humble 40,000 sq ft stores in the inner city areas that aren't surrounded by new cookie-cutter homes and Container Stores. Even transplant Texans will drop their allegiances to Kroger/Tom Thumb/Albertson's if they had an HEB nearby.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Which is disappointing. I wish they would stop focusing all their attention on their superstores and look at adding some humble 40,000 sq ft stores in the inner city areas that aren't surrounded by new cookie-cutter homes and Container Stores. Even transplant Texans will drop their allegiances to Kroger/Tom Thumb/Albertson's if they had an HEB nearby.

Can confirm. Grew up on H-E-B, and as soon as the one in Frisco was built, the Kroger I was shopping at was no longer an option.

• Upvote 2

On 6/25/2023 at 4:38 PM, UNTLifer said:

Is Russell-Newman still headquartered in Denton. They manufacture women’s robes, undergarments and sleepwear. 
I can just imagine the fan giveaways. 

Ladies Day.  Trade in your panties at half-time day!  Boom!  Instant max capacity at the game!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

I’ve been here all my life.  I’ve never heard anything negative associated with Acme Brick.  Great local employer and frequent source of Chamber of Commerce executives. 

id be happy to play in Acme Brick Stadium but I wonder what brand of brick was used on the former Apigee Stadium ?