The Football Stadium on Bonnie Brae

UNTLifer

If the "Denton Area Teachers Credit Union" turns out to be the new stadium sponsor, it will fit in pretty well with our history. Before the Eagle was voted (by the student body) to be our official mascot back in the 1920's, our athletic teams were usually referred to as "The Denton Teachers". 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

23 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

If the "Denton Area Teachers Credit Union" turns out to be the new stadium sponsor, it will fit in pretty well with our history. Before the Eagle was voted (by the student body) to be our official mascot back in the 1920's, our athletic teams were usually referred to as "The Denton Teachers". 

I’m not sure that’s correct. 
https://studentaffairs.unt.edu/scrappy/history

• Upvote 1

On 7/8/2023 at 11:25 AM, SilverEagle said:

There were many "Teacher" colleges back in the early 1900's, to train teachers, duh. 

SFA, Texas State, East Texas State, and some well-known schools too:  L.A. State Normal School (now UCLA), San Diego Normal (SDSU), West Tennessee Normal (Memphis), Territorial Normal (Arizona St.).

These were usually called "Normal" schools, and many times were referred to as their "location-teachers" in sports: Denton Teachers, San Marcos Teachers, etc.  

A normal school or normal college is an institution created to train teachers by educating them in the norms of pedagogy and curriculum. In the 19th century in the United States, instruction in normal schools was at the high school level, turning out primary school teachers.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NT80 said:

There were many "Teacher" colleges back in the early 1900's, to train teachers, duh. 

SFA, Texas State, East Texas State, and some well-known schools too:  L.A. State Normal School (now UCLA), San Diego Normal (SDSU), West Tennessee Normal (Memphis), Territorial Normal (Arizona St.).

These were usually called "Normal" schools, and many times were referred to as their "location-teachers" in sports: Denton Teachers, San Marcos Teachers, etc.  

A normal school or normal college is an institution created to train teachers by educating them in the norms of pedagogy and curriculum. In the 19th century in the United States, instruction in normal schools was at the high school level, turning out primary school teachers.

Don't forget "West Texas State Normal, and Sul Ross State Normal" .

I'm very aware of this phenomenon (growth of public institutions of higher learning) because one of my history classes was "The Cultural History of the United States.....post Civil War". And it covered this issue.

In the late 19th century and early 20th century there was an explosion of Colleges, mainly in the rural areas, to provide formal training for teachers that would be staffing public schools in the rural areas.  The other thing going on during that time in USA history was an increase in crime and alcoholism.  Social thinkers/policy influencers of the time hit on a common trait of criminals......a lack of formal education. Most criminals were very lacking in formal education, and the social thinkers/influencers of the time noticed that the most moral, productive citizens had a higher lever of formal education.  SO, they had an "Ah HA" moment and pushed for more Colleges to be built. Ideally colleges that were more affordable. Because "the educated man/woman was a more moral man/woman". 

Then the Leopold and Loeb  case happened....Leopold and Loeb - Wikipedia. And the social thinkers/influencers of that time were crestfallen.

Back to the original subject. The samples that I provided were from just one year. We had adopted the Eagle as our mascot in 1922 and we were still being referred to as "The Denton Teachers".

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Back to the original subject. The samples that I provided were from just one year. We had adopted the Eagle as our mascot in 1922 and we were still being referred to as "The Denton Teachers".

"Denton Pedagogs" in the title.  Ok, I admit I had to look up what a Pedagog was, lol. 

Also the reference to the A&M team as the "Farmers" was amusing.