You want to sit out of a bowl .....

El Paso Eagle

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Fine. But I am not a fan of it when they take the trip with the team and go through all of the activities and then the night before you decide not to play. UAB's McBride chose last night to sit out today after those close to him convinced him not to play (supposedly he wanted to, but gave in to them). I know this is the new normal, but I have a hard time seeing this as better than the "Old" days.

Leave him there. I would. 

You don't commit to the game, go through the festivities, have a coaching staff gameplan you into the game to just walk away. It's an interim coach, right? Then even easier to leave him there. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Fine. But I am not a fan of it when they take the trip with the team and go through all of the activities and then the night before you decide not to play. UAB's McBride chose last night to sit out today after those close to him convinced him not to play (supposedly he wanted to, but gave in to them). I know this is the new normal, but I have a hard time seeing this as better than the "Old" days.

This was a pretty dirty move, IMO, and I don't see it being normalized at all.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/16/2022 at 11:16 AM, ntmeangreen11 said:

The guys draft stock is pretty high, I don't see any issue with a running back of all positions sitting out. Even if he decided late to skip, that's a volatile position for injuries.

Nobility and loyalty aren't rewarded frequently so while I would make note of this if I were in a NFL draft room, there is no other reason for me to care.  How many of us have been loyal to an organization during our careers for it not be to respected or rewarded?  And we don’t have people running full speed and hitting us while we are trying to work asa part of our job.  

@El Paso Eagle and anyone else salty towards this man consider this:  The head coach they love, who wants to stay and helped get them to the bowl game is coaching with the next head coach shaking hands on the sidelines.  Give me a break.  🙄

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t think the sitting out part in and of itself is what is bothering @El Paso Eagle. His major complaint seems to be that McBride got to travel to the Bahamas with the team under the guise that he was going to play. Once he got there, he okie doked them and chose not to play. My feeling is that he should have to reimburse the university for all travel and expenses for the trip since he is no longer there as a student athlete.

That's the main thing, but not going to lie, not a big fan of players sitting out even though I realize it's a business. Guess it makes me Old-School, but I liked the Team>Me days a little better

lee-corso-not-so-fast.gif

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

I really don’t care about players sitting out. You do what’s best for you. But the team planning on having you on the field then abruptly deciding to not play is kinda lame. I won’t go as far as saying don’t let them come on the trip, be on the sidelines, or anything like that. Bc again, I don’t really care. But it is kinda ehh feeling. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Consider this, you are an employer and you paid for some employees to go on a work trip to the Bahamas and then one of them once their airfare and hotel was covered just quits having just used your funding for a free Caribbean vacation. You’d be cool with that?

And to add to your analogy, let’s say the employee that quit had a major role in the presentation you were making.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Consider this, you are an employer and you paid for some employees to go on a work trip to the Bahamas and then one of them once their airfare and hotel was covered just quits having just used your funding for a free Caribbean vacation. You’d be cool with that?

your analogy is a little off... a bowl game is not a championship, your not really playing for anything.  It would be like sending your employees to the Bahamas for reasons that have no effect on your companies bottom line, all while knowing that many of them will not be returning to the company next month. 

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

your analogy is a little off... a bowl game is not a championship, your not really playing for anything.  It would be like sending your employees to the Bahamas for reasons that have no effect on your companies bottom line, all while knowing that many of them will not be returning to the company next month. 

you pay for your employees to celebrate an end of year (calendar, fiscal, w/e) and, even though It's just a celebration, your still paying for travel.  The guy probably went through all the trip festivities, game preparations, accepting $500+ in gifts.  

Even though the game is someone meaningless, the TEAM still wants to win.  The coaches still put together a game plan with you in mind.

Not a good look, whether or not the game means anything towards a "bottom line".  But, who knows? Maybe he'll return the funds.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, NT80 said:

That's garbage!  Maybe if DeAndre Torrey had a great Bowl game with us last year he gets seen and he gets drafted, instead of getting nothing. 

I bet he has regrets about that now.   He could have ended his college career on a high note at least.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

This is so ridiculous. Easy to complain about his actions when you'd never be in a position to do the same. He's likely going to get drafted and live out his dreams while getting paid. If he plays this meaningless bowl and gets hurt, all that goes down the drain. Most of us will never be in the position to lose our careers due to an injury. Give me a break.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This is so ridiculous. Easy to complain about his actions when you'd never be in a position to do the same. He's likely going to get drafted and live out his dreams while getting paid. If he plays this meaningless bowl and gets hurt, all that goes down the drain. Most of us will never be in the position to lose our careers due to an injury. Give me a break.

Pretty sure he knew all before he boarded the plane.

• Upvote 5