You want to sit out of a bowl .....

El Paso Eagle

54 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Sure I can't prove if but I'll allow you to examine the drop off between RB1 and RB2. Not hard to see the offense ran through him.

Screenshot_20221216_151906_ESPN.jpg.3f8828ecf5cd5074182bc7ee61a00d36.jpg

…let's not act like the players should be on their knees thanking the NCAA and college teams for the medium to showcase their talents. 

And let’s not act like the colleges are “using” these players to make millions.  It’s a symbiotic relationship.  

I understand how it works in other countries and other sports.  What happens to those kids who don’t make it professionally?  Do they have an education to fall back on?  

I’ll stand by my argument that a big part of college football are the colleges themselves.  Alumni are connected because they feel a part of the university.  I think many fans have no clue about football or talent.  They just want to cheer for “their” team.  The colleges are the draw, not the players.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

How much have we made off of Aune? Would we have made it to 7-5 without him? UAB was 6-6.

I believe the Frisco Bowl payout is 650k. I don't know if we would have. I don't think he's the best QB and I would have like to see a different QB get opportunities. That said, he was the starting QB for a bowl team. If he had chose to sit out, he should still get the gifts that come with making a bowl game. McBride accounted for 19 TDs. UAB's passing game had 14 total TDs. He should get all the gear that comes with making a bowl game because that's what he helped them do: make a bowl game.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

47 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I believe the Frisco Bowl payout is 650k. I don't know if we would have. I don't think he's the best QB and I would have like to see a different QB get opportunities. That said, he was the starting QB for a bowl team. If he had chose to sit out, he should still get the gifts that come with making a bowl game. McBride accounted for 19 TDs. UAB's passing game had 14 total TDs. He should get all the gear that comes with making a bowl game because that's what he helped them do: make a bowl game.

So we should mail Torrey and Makyle Sanders some of last year’s swag too I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So we should mail Torrey and Makyle Sanders some of last year’s swag too I suppose.

Why not? They earned the bowl invite as a team based on the season's accomplishments which they contributed to. Why shouldn't they get the swag that accompanies said season-driven invite? It'd be one thing if it were a bowl just for being part of a certain school or playing in a certain conference regardless of record but that's not the case.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

4 hours ago, MrAlien said:

your analogy is a little off... a bowl game is not a championship, your not really playing for anything.  It would be like sending your employees to the Bahamas for reasons that have no effect on your companies bottom line, all while knowing that many of them will not be returning to the company next month. 

A lot of coaches and staff have bonus money based on winning bowl games. Players that have no chance of going pro most certainly want to win the last game they ever play.  The competitive nature of these guys by nature is to want to win.  

it matters!!!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

A lot of coaches and staff have bonus money based on winning bowl games. Players that have no chance of going pro most certainly want to win the last game they ever play.  The competitive nature of these guys by nature is to want to win.  

it matters!!!

Coaches and staff have bonus money, players do not. For guys like McBride who will likely be drafted, their health is the most important thing they have. If they get seriously injured, they may not get drafted or lose draft capital which still affects their first contract. This is literally their money at stake, too. Blows my mind that people are OK with players risking their careers at the next level simply because they want to watch the guy wear their school colors one last time. It's incredibly selfish considering many of these guys are depending on the NFL to change their family dynamics.

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

That said, he was the starting QB for a bowl team. If he had chose to sit out, he should still get the gifts that come with making a bowl game. 

Do you know how unbelievably low that bar is? 2/3rds of the teams make a bowl. Much less a CUSA bowl where the bottom feeders go.

The bowl system has become so watered down that it doesn't matter who plays or doesn't. Its an exhibition match for a few extra dollars. No one cares about 80% of the bowls. Why would the players?

32 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Do you know how unbelievably low that bar is? 2/3rds of the teams make a bowl. Much less a CUSA bowl where the bottom feeders go.

The bowl system has become so watered down that it doesn't matter who plays or doesn't. Its an exhibition match for a few extra dollars. No one cares about 80% of the bowls. Why would the players?

Kind of my point. If the guy is projected to be drafted to the NFL and make good money, why should he risk that for a bowl game nobody but the fans care about? Dude's got bills to pay. Getting seriously injured may take away draft value therefore affecting his first contract. Yet some are still mad players are sitting for bowl games just because they traveled with the team and got some gifts. Silliness.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

40 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Do you see the irony of this statement?  Wow😂😂

Not at all. The player is responsible for himself and his family. The fans aren't going to pay his bills if he gets hurt just because he played the bowl. Most of the coaches are making good money. Why should the players risk getting hurt and their NFL careers for the coaches to get a $10k bonus for winning the bowl?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Ok buddy. If McBride played and tore his ACL, would honor pay his bills?

You've MISSED THE POINT of this entire discussion. 

It's not about not playing in the game (I don't agree with it, but that's a different topic).  It's about deceiving those around him that he was going to play, simply to participate in the "fun" stuff and get freebies while all the while he knew he wasn't going to play.  That's that part about not having honor and ethics.

I'm sure you'll still miss the point since numerous people have tried to explain it to you and I doubt another attempt will do any good.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Not at all. The player is responsible for himself and his family. The fans aren't going to pay his bills if he gets hurt just because he played the bowl. Most of the coaches are making good money. Why should the players risk getting hurt and their NFL careers for the coaches to get a $10k bonus for winning the bowl?

Not playing with your team to guard your own interest is kind of the definition of selfish.  And you’re saying fans are being selfish for wanting/expecting him to play with his team.  That’s irony.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

The guys draft stock is pretty high, I don't see any issue with a running back of all positions sitting out. Even if he decided late to skip, that's a volatile position for injuries.

I'm a big believer in college players exercising their freedom, even if it makes the sport less enjoyable as a fan.

But enjoying all the perks of a bowl trip and then choosing at the last second not to play is sorry-ass behavior.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, meaniegreenie said:

You've MISSED THE POINT of this entire discussion. 

It's not about not playing in the game (I don't agree with it, but that's a different topic).  It's about deceiving those around him that he was going to play, simply to participate in the "fun" stuff and get freebies while all the while he knew he wasn't going to play.  That's that part about not having honor and ethics.

I'm sure you'll still miss the point since numerous people have tried to explain it to you and I doubt another attempt will do any good.

You've missed the point I've made several times. He SHOULD still get to take part in bowl activities, the trip, freebies, and all else. He's part of the reason they got the bowl invite. He should get everything that comes with it. And this whole last second deception, duping out of a free trip BS is likely false. The only people I see calling it that on social media are people mad because they placed bets. From an Alabama-based sports editor:

This thread is a bunch of people unrelated to UAB with zero insight on how the coaches, players, and fans feel being mad about a guy making a business decision and using "honor and integrity" as a cover. People on this board voice frustrations every single bowl season over players opting out of bowl games. Then every single spring, people on this board voice frustrations over players transferring because they're not "loyal." What's really happening is fans on this board are college football traditionalists and can't accept the fact that college students can now get paid, transfer, opt out of extra games, and so on. Times are changing. Be happy for kids who are taking a chance at living out their dreams of playing in the NFL. If a guy decides not to play minutes before the game to preserve his health, nobody should care.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Is the guy going to get drafted in the first two rounds? No? Then that’s a stupid move. 

Don't know why round two would be your cutoff. A lot of players drafted lower still sign a fat multi-year contract they have a chance to earn if they play well.

Brock Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant this year and he got a four-year $3.7 million deal with a $77,000 signing bonus.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Not playing with your team to guard your own interest is kind of the definition of selfish.  And you’re saying fans are being selfish for wanting/expecting him to play with his team.  That’s irony.

The college fans won't pay his bills. None of y'all get it and that's OK. He has to take care of himself and his family first. If he gets hurt, he's likely back home figuring out adult life instead of living out his dreams. The fans will move on just fine. There's a difference between wanting a guy to play for your entertainment and not wanting to play because you've got bills to pay. This is similar to the "shut up and dribble" stuff when athletes talk politics. Pretty sad y'all seem to think these guys owe you anything.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This thread is a bunch of people unrelated to UAB with zero insight on how the coaches, players, and fans feel being mad about a guy making a business decision and using "honor and integrity" as a cover.

If he told the team beforehand he wasn't playing and still was invited to go, great.

If not and he sprung it on everybody, I still say boo. Boo! Hiss!

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Pretty sad y'all seem to think these guys owe you anything.

I wouldn't say they owe fans nothing. They may owe us a lot less than we think, but the sport they play generates massive revenue because millions of us watch it. And because of NIL they can now enjoy a little of that sweet sweet cheddar while still in college.

To put it another way, leaving after a single year is a smart career move for a lot of college basketball stars, but does any fan like the sport today as much as when staying three or four years was the norm?

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The college fans won't pay his bills. None of y'all get it and that's OK. He has to take care of himself and his family first. If he gets hurt, he's likely back home figuring out adult life instead of living out his dreams. The fans will move on just fine. There's a difference between wanting a guy to play for your entertainment and not wanting to play because you've got bills to pay. This is similar to the "shut up and dribble" stuff when athletes talk politics. Pretty sad y'all seem to think these guys owe you anything.

Yes, your point is clear. It's just not a.good one. 

He can hyperextend his knee playing pickup basketball and shred his ACL. 

Blow out his achilles doing agility drills. 

Get ________ injury at any point in time doing ________ activity. The list is infinite. 

It wouldn't have hurt him had he went out there and carried the ball a little. He took the trip, at the minimum he could've had a candid conversation with the staff. Such as, "I don't want anyone to know about this conversation, my teammates included, but I would like to be on a pitch count (10-12 carries)." End of conversation. He still gets to go on the trip, not disappoint his alum, be there for his teammates that he claims to "love" and go out a winner. 

The only part of this I dislike is his last minute withdraw. There were better ways to go about it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rcade said:

I wouldn't say they owe fans nothing. They may owe us a lot less than we think, but the sport they play generates massive revenue because millions of us watch it. And because of NIL they can now enjoy a little of that sweet sweet cheddar while still in college.

Let's see UNT students pay over $10 million in mandated fees yearly. So yes, they do owe others and should have an obligation to finish each year.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

None of y'all get it and that's OK.

Nothing like telling someone that their OPINION is wrong.  I bow to your superior OPINION.

But here’s a FACT:  Without fans, there is no college football, so yeah, he kind of does owe the fans to some degree.

Another FACT: you are clearly saying yourself that he’s being selfish, but somehow you can’t see it.

• Upvote 3