Football team changing format of spring game and won't divide into green and white teams

GMGEagle

I agree that the Spring Game is for the fans, but I appreciate and understand Coach L putting the team's needs ahead of the fan's this year.  I would rather be excited by the results in the fall than in the results of the Spring Game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How is this an issue at all?  I have been to about 10 Spring games over the years.  Fans don't care if the Green or White team wins....they want to "SEE" the players and coaches in action.  The format is a little different....  Fans want to see "BIG PLAYS".  Fans will still get to see all of that....just in a different format.  Coaches will still be on the field, plays will still be run, big hits, dazzling catches, great runs....  It will still all be there for everyone to enjoy.  Stop bitching and start enjoying it.....  I would ask that everyone on this board go out and experience the event!!!!  The only problem I have with this years game, is my niece decided to get married at 3pm on this coveted game/practice day....so unfortunately, I will not be in attendance this year....

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

6 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Fans don't care if the Green or White team wins....they want to "SEE" the players and coaches in action

54 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I find it funny that people are upset that Coach Littrell has changed the format to one that best fits the team, best fits the coaches from an evaluation point and will benefit the players the greatest.  This isn't about us, it is about the team getting better.

This.

Also, let's talk first team and a second team numbers. 

So you've got 44 first and second teamers. That doesn't leave a lot of depth per position. You don't want to get your players hurt just for fanfare.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Coaches try to put expectations and themselves at a good arm's reach at all times. Even if a year looks to be promising, a coach is going to utter some BS to try to slow down momentum/anticipation. I'm witnessing it in Florida with McElwain and now apparently at UNT with Littrell. Ball up and just tell it how it is. Embrace the expectations or deflect them. But if you're going to deflect momentum better have a damn good excuse. Oh, I'm sorry you only have 80 (EIGHTY) freaking players for a scrimmage that you're not really going to hold. This has chicken shit written all over it. 

This is trash. You're better than that.  80 Dudes means in reality 65 or so MAYBE less are scholarship players.  You want a green and white game or you wanna win next year? Trust the guy who has been successful EVERY SINGLE PLACE he has been.  

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Can we win 3 games this year?

Rick

Yes. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I find it funny that people are upset that Coach Littrell has changed the format to one that best fits the team, best fits the coaches from an evaluation point and will benefit the players the greatest.  This isn't about us, it is about the team getting better.  Also, regarding the size of the roster, remember, we will not be playing with an 80 man roster next year once our entire recruiting class, preferred walk-ons and walk-ons arrive in August.  Will the roster lack the preferred depth?  Sure, but we won't be rolling with only 80 next year.

The reason Littrell is doing it (lack of depth) is what should concern UNT fans, not the change in style of the Spring game.

Open your ears and listen to what the man is telling you.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

While I would prefer more of a traditional spring game, I understand the rationale.  It is concerning that we don't have the personnel to hold a true scrimmage game, but my kids just want to go to hear the canon (the canon will still be a part of this practice, right?) and I'll be fine as long as beer is served.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I find it funny that people are upset that Coach Littrell has changed the format to one that best fits the team, best fits the coaches from an evaluation point and will benefit the players the greatest.  This isn't about us, it is about the team getting better.  Also, regarding the size of the roster, remember, we will not be playing with an 80 man roster next year once our entire recruiting class, preferred walk-ons and walk-ons arrive in August.  Will the roster lack the preferred depth?  Sure, but we won't be rolling with only 80 next year.

7 hours ago, UNT90 said:

People need to listen to what Littrell is telling you. This is going to be a VERY tough year. Littrell just told you he doesn't have the depth to run a Spring game.

A Spring game!

Get the Kool aid out yo ears and listen to what the man is telling you. This is going to be hard sledding this year.

15 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Good gosh people, having 80 players in the spring is not unusual.  Back in the stone age, I played in spring games with no more than 70 players and it mirrored an actual game with kickoffs, game timing, and everything.  

The spring game use to at least serve a number of purposes.  It marked the end of spring training, gave players a platform to demonstrate what they can do, gave coaches a more game-like environment to evaluate players. and most importantly got the most avid fans an opportunity to get excited about the team.  

Frankly, I was excited about going to see what Littrell has going on; but no more.   It is just not worth a two hour drive to see a basic workout that if anything will be less revealing than a practice because they are afraid to show anything in a public venue.  

Obviously, the most important thing is to get the team ready to play in the fall.   However, this program also needs to market this team and this seems to be just going through the motions.   

No serious fans expects a lot out of a spring game, but I think with a little ingenuity NT could have accomplished their goals in a much more fan appealing format.    

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I think the format is fine and we'll learn plenty about what we have at most positions.  What those who can attend should really be looking forward to is the alumni flag football game with some of our past greats out there one more time, and the barbecue cook off competition.  I think that'll be a great fundraiser.

Rick

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Good gosh people, having 80 players in the spring is not unusual

It's not a good sign for the depth of the program, especially after a light signing class numbers wise.  Sorry, just have to disagree with you.  Mac's fault IMHO.

53 minutes ago, Harry said:

It's not a good sign for the depth of the program, especially after a light signing class numbers wise.  Sorry, just have to disagree with you.  Mac's fault IMHO.

Go and watch talent! That is what the spring thing is about! Having only 80 should be a real big concern for all. How many can we sign in the next class?

• Downvote 1