MGB: Benford says he will be back, confident in future

Brett Vito

Everyone keep in mind that we don't know if there was an extension. That is a VERY real possibility. And with it, comes an automatic extension for Fly's favorite little buddy.

RV is AD for life. He won't leave until he wants to leave. And UNT will suck terribly in sports until he is gone. His tenure will be remembered in UNT history as the reason UNT dropped down to FCS football.

Also, expect to soon see a student movement to drop football altogether.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

3 hours ago, Cooley said:

I'm completely satisfied (not thrilled) with him coming back in 16-17. Wish he could tweak the roster and find a more dependable impact big man or two. No one is happy with the record(s) but this team was competitive in most games (especially at home) and could have a break out year with the right moves. Folks are still pissed about what happened (or didn't) 3 years ago that they can't move on.

In interviews with NBA officials, our top prospect admitted he didn't always give it his all.  Additionally, our top point guard didn't take care of business in the class room and subsequently quit on the team. Yes, in most cases, a new coach should capitalize on what is inherited but it could also be a challenge.

Benford continues to improve, in my view, each year. There have been no scandals and this staff deals with disciplinary actions swiftly and fairly.  The beloved JJ didn't really do much until his 6th year. Let this man finish his last contract year, stop the bashing and see what happens. This revolving door of coaches in and out every 4 years, in all major sports,  has got to stop. It was clear to me that Mccarney had to go because the recruiting was getting worse. Regardless of how he got here, we have never signed a higher prospect than Keith Frazier. There are others in the wing. The irony is that UNT, under Benford, is probably in better shape than LSU is today under JJ.  Not the end of the world

And in one post I have lost all respect for you as someone who knows what this program needs.  I wonder what your motivations are to keep him in place. 

*edit.... I noticed that my post looks like I regurgitated UNT90's 

I'm disgusted beyond belief. I sit here watching teams like SFA winning in the tournament and think.... "We could afford that guy. We don't have to stink. Underwood only makes like $350K a season. We could afford that dude." But for some unrealistic reason, our leadership believes 54-73 Benford is going to put together a winner next season. Just terrible.

At this point nothing can be said that will ever win my support back to our current athletic leadership. I feel like SMU has planted goons within our administration just to hold us back. I guess it will be another season without a trip to the Super Pit.

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, THOR said:

@gladtobegreen  see this crap??? How the hell are we supposed to support this shiatt??? Good lord

Edit: I guess the rv is no longer on this site...gladtobegreen wasn't highlighted as it should have been upon tagging...hmmmm

We can only hope he threw himself down onto his sword.

Oh, I don't think anyone can ever again ask why Denton and the local community don't support UNT. There is no reason to do so. Why bother when the school and the AD don't care about even trying to win?

• Upvote 4

200.gif

Allow me to coach another season, kind sir, and I will gladly repay you with some wins next year...might even break even!

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, All About UNT said:

And in one post I have lost all respect for you as someone who knows what this program needs.  I wonder what your motivations are to keep him in place. 

*edit.... I noticed that my post looks like I regurgitated UNT90's 

Still relevant. The fact that he presents untruths as facts in his post is concerning and makes me think he is playing Fly to Benford's RV. 

@Glad To Be Green

there you go, @THOR

Oh, and RV, if you see this, do us all a favor and resign. You will still have a "minute few" who support your terrible job performance.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Still relevant. The fact that he presents untruths as facts in his post is concerning and makes me think he is playing Fly to Benford's RV. 

@Glad To Be Green

there you go, @THOR

Oh, and RV, if you see this, do us all a favor and resign. You will still have a "minute few" who support your terrible job performance.

Thanks dude

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

You would think with all the progress and conference tournament success since then that people would've forgotten about losing 20 games in a season.

Hey, Vito said that we made the second round. Ain't that good?

Think I'll avoid being around sharp objects for the next year. Unbelievable.

3 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

I feel like SMU has planted goon within our administration just to hold us back. I guess it will be another season without a trip to the Super Pit.

I hate fixing things, but....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Benford says he will be back, confident in future

Sounds like somebody had an encouraging talk with Ernie while waiting for him to toss that night's dinner scraps into the backyard!!   Good for you Benny!!!!!!!!1!11!  You picked the one homeowner who'll let you hang around his back porch and eat when anyone/everyone else would have called animal control on your ass long ago!!1!

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

SFA?  You expect us to compete with juggernaut programs like SFA?  Just because we have THREE TIMES their enrollment?  Or because they belong to a conference we snubbed 20 plus years ago?  How could Denton even compare to that wonderland called Nacogdoches?  Let's try to be a little realistic.  

Exactly. Our athletic budget probably can't compete with SFA's either. I guess we are just expecting too much.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Screw you Benford.  You may be back, but I won't be.

If we only had a good president with integrity and a backbone.....

Man was I wrong about this one. I felt certain that he understood the importance of competitive basketball and football in shaping the public's perception of the university and the role that plays in opening doors for alumni donations for all things, not just athletics. 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Sorry I -1 you by accident...stupid fat fingers on my phone.  Can someone +1 him for me

Keep waiting. He is hoping this will blow over with out having to comment, ignoring the fact that questions about an extension remain.

People should email members of the BOR and let them know what you think about any extension and what you think about Benford's. Retention.

2 hours ago, Greendylan said:

Still waiting for that official statement from the AD that fully explains/justifies this decision. . . 

The head basketball coach, who we all want removed, announces he is staying for another year.  Seems odd that the AD does not make the announcement on  keeping Benford.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

The head basketball coach, who we all want removed, announces he is staying for another year.  Seems odd that the AD does not make the announcement on  keeping Benford.

I really want this to be a false flag statement and the decision hasn't been made yet, but why would an AD make a systement that a coach under contact will be coaching again next season?

(I agree that in the case he should say it publicly and with some sort of reasoning, I just don't think he will.)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

I really want this to be a false flag statement and the decision hasn't been made yet, but why would an AD make a systement that a coach under contact will be coaching again next season?

(I agree that in the case he should say it publicly and with some sort of reasoning, I just don't think he will.)

Strictly going by what Vito was reporting.  Also, if RV sits down with his coach after each season, one would think he would come out with a vote of confidence statement, saying Benford would be back next season.  Oddly, at least in my mind, Benford says he is coming back next season.  Guess there was never any doubt.

• Upvote 2