4 new Bowls in the works?

Coach Bill Lewis

Hurrah!  Hurrah!  Looks like 5-7 bowl teams will be around a few more years.  Hurrah! Hurrah!

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. — Even as college football’s powerbrokers wrestle with how — and whether — to fill 2016 postseason bowls with teams with sub-.500 records, as many as four cities have considered starting new bowls.

Groups from Austin, Charleston, S.C.Myrtle Beach, S.C., and St. Louis have indicated varying levels of interest in applying for NCAA bowl certification. Although it appears unlikely at this point that any of the prospective bowls would become reality in 2016, the prospect has created concern.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca...4c149e580b

• Downvote 1

Part of me, the free enterprise part, says knock yourself out if you have a model that will allow you to run a bowl game at a profit and meet all your commitments. The majority of me is repulsed at the thought of any more bowl games. Participation in bowl games has now been rendered almost meaningless with 40 of them, IMO. Truly disgusting that this would be considered; they should cut back the number of bowls by at least 10%, with the least-attended, least profitable getting the ax. Again, JMHO.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, casual fan said:

I'm just waiting for KOHLER or American Standard to sponsor the Toilet Bowl in Flushing, New York.

That would be cool promotion. With our luck and record, we would receive a bid to The Slit-Trench Bowl in Browned Cobb, Kentucky.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Rudy said:

Good Lord, make it stop.

Rudy stole my line so I had to come up with an idea.  How about these bowls are qualifier bowls for FBS level.  So if  the combined winning percentage of the teams involved in a  bowl game is below .600 (the bare minimum for an academic credit hour to count most places) the loser of the game has to drop down to FCS for 4-8 years minimum.  I think this would be everyone's favorite NCAA FBS rule instantly.  Since the NCAA "cares" so much about academics.  Now there is a Boca Rotten Bowl or San Marcus Salsa Bowl I would watch.  Like Highlanders; all the energy and passion but only with very dull and brittle swords.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, casual fan said:

I'm just waiting for KOHLER or American Standard to sponsor the Toilet Bowl in Flushing, New York.

You youngsters may not know that the very first post-season game we played was called the Salad Bowl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Salad_Bowl

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, letsgiveacheer said:

You youngsters may not know that the very first post-season game we played was called the Salad Bowl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Salad_Bowl

Actually, the first bowl game that we played in was the Optimist Bowl in Houston where we beat Amos Alonzo Stagg's College of Pacific.  The year was 1946 and it was Odus Mitchell's first as the head coach of North Texas.

We need less, not more, bowl games.  IMO every bowl team should have a winning record.  I'm talking about above .500.  That would limit the number of bowl games to about 30 and would make a bowl invitation much more meaningful.  That would still allow about 47% of the FBS to play in a bowl.

Admittedly, I wouldn't mind seeing a bowl game added in Austin and Charlotte where large stadiums are available.  However, the largest stadium in Charleston SC has a capacity of 21,000 and the largest stadium in Myrtle Beach has a capacity of...6,500.  If bowl games in Austin and Charlotte were approved it should be at the expense of the less attended ones.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Actually, the first bowl game that we played in was the Optimist Bowl in Houston where we beat Amos Alonzo Stagg's College of Pacific.  The year was 1946 and it was Odus Mitchell's first as the head coach of North Texas.

We need less, not more, bowl games.  IMO every bowl team should have a winning record.  I'm talking about above .500.  That would limit the number of bowl games to about 30 and would make a bowl invitation much more meaningful.  That would still allow about 47% of the FBS to play in a bowl.

Admittedly, I wouldn't mind seeing a bowl game added in Austin and Charlotte where large stadiums are available.  However, the largest stadium in Charleston SC has a capacity of 21,000 and the largest stadium in Myrtle Beach has a capacity of...6,500.  If bowl games in Austin and Charlotte were approved it should be at the expense of the less attended ones.  

Coastal Carolina is increasing their stadium capacity to the low 20,000's with the move up to FBS.

Clearly I'll be in the minority here. 

I used to think that there were too many bowl games until a 5-6 North Texas team received an invitation to the very first New Orleans Bowl.  We went to New Orleans and had the experience that I had only heard of prior to our inclusion.  Bowl games are an opportunity for schools to put a cherry on what ever season their team had and for fans to get one last game during the holiday season.  All that I've been to have been great fun and I'm glad I attended. 

If the bowl game can make money and the teams invited bring fans, I fail to see the problem.  If North Texas gets an invitation to a bowl game ever again, I'll go.  And I'll have a great time.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Clearly I'll be in the minority here. 

I used to think that there were too many bowl games until a 5-6 North Texas team received an invitation to the very first New Orleans Bowl.  We went to New Orleans and had the experience that I had only heard of prior to our inclusion.  Bowl games are an opportunity for schools to put a cherry on what ever season their team had and for fans to get one last game during the holiday season.  All that I've been to have been great fun and I'm glad I attended. 

If the bowl game can make money and the teams invited bring fans, I fail to see the problem.  If North Texas gets an invitation to a bowl game ever again, I'll go.  And I'll have a great time.

GO MEAN GREEN

Us going with a losing record slightly different since we had a conference title in our pocket.  A 5-7 team that is 8th in their conference has jack.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

Do the teams share bowl money with conference members?

I don't know but I'd think no? The college playoffs have a playoff revenue pool where each conference gets X amount of money http://www.statisticbrain.com/college-bowl-game-payouts/ 

54 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I am certain that I have read that bowls don't really mean a profit for the schools that participate.

If a team gets $500K to go to the New Orleans bowl, it at least pays for the trip. Like I said, it's at least a trip for the players, which I am sure they would not turn down.

Think of the children!

In CUSA: All bowl payouts go to the conference.  The money is then used to pay off the travel costs of the bowl teams.  Left over money is then paid out to every team in the conference with the bowl teams getting a much larger slice of the money than the non bowl teams. 

This assures that no team loses money on a bowl trip.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

In CUSA: All bowl payouts go to the conference.  The money is then used to pay off the travel costs of the bowl teams.  Left over money is then paid out to every team in the conference with the bowl teams getting a much larger slice of the money than the non bowl teams. 

This assures that no team loses money on a bowl trip.

Danke danke