4 new Bowls in the works?

Coach Bill Lewis

21 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Actually, the first bowl game that we played in was the Optimist Bowl in Houston where we beat Amos Alonzo Stagg's College of Pacific.  The year was 1946 and it was Odus Mitchell's first as the head coach of North Texas.

We need less, not more, bowl games.  IMO every bowl team should have a winning record.  I'm talking about above .500.  That would limit the number of bowl games to about 30 and would make a bowl invitation much more meaningful.  That would still allow about 47% of the FBS to play in a bowl.

Admittedly, I wouldn't mind seeing a bowl game added in Austin and Charlotte where large stadiums are available.  However, the largest stadium in Charleston SC has a capacity of 21,000 and the largest stadium in Myrtle Beach has a capacity of...6,500.  If bowl games in Austin and Charlotte were approved it should be at the expense of the less attended ones.  

Thank you for the correction!

There are so many bowls, yet NT has so little success.  Very sad, I think back to the Fry's teams that could not get any bowl despite fine years and the same with the MVC teams of the late sixties.  

Now a team from a P5 conference has to be very bad not to go bowling and g5's don't have to have much better.  

Actually, I thought the 4 New Orleans and HOD bowl were all were well supported by NT fans.  I wonder, however, how many fans NT could muster at a bowl that would require air travel and in a non-tourist destination.  

1 hour ago, That_Guy_Arlo said:

I don't really have an issue with more bowls. The number of bowl games is getting a little out of hand, I'll admit, but I'm not ever going to complain about more college football.

Agree with the part I bolded, but...I would add the word "quality" in there. The talent of those teams on the margin is so diluted that I would rather watch two dogs go at it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

But this is the "Everybody Gets a Participation Ribbon" era.  We can't have anyone being sad and thinking the only way to change that sad feeling is to put more work in to succeed.

The bowls are getting watered down with all the new ones, but this has absolutely nothing to do with participation ribbons. If you think that a new bowl is about giving more players a chance to participate, then there are people blowing their noses with $100 bills that would love to regale you with more tales about how much they "care" about college athletes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

But this is the "Everybody Gets a Participation Ribbon" era.  We can't have anyone being sad and thinking the only way to change that sad feeling is to put more work in to succeed.

Do you know how old bowl officials are and who's making the most money off these events or was that just fun to say?

EDIT: totally missed @forevereagle above.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

but, +1 participation ribbon 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

That's one expensive ribbon. I wonder how much it would go for on ebay...

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I know who is making the money off of these bowl games, but it is ridiculous that we are now rewarding teams for .500 seasons.

The people making money don't care about rewarding anyone but themselves. That is the point, they see an opportunity to line their pockets and they don't really care about the implications.

21 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I know who is making the money off of these bowl games, but it is ridiculous that we are now rewarding teams for .500 seasons.

Exactly - the generation that created that culture and instilled/propagated it should be ashamed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Another factor in granting a bowl to the large stadium cities is that they won't accept a matchup of a Belt team with a Mac team (or other low-ranking G5 from any conference) or probably would require at least one participant be a P5.  At the possible future number, that will force the bowls with less than 30,000 capacity to take a few 5-win teams.

19 hours ago, UNT90 said:

It's funny to see people put down participation ribbons when UNT is Participation U. with an AD that is given another participation ribbon with every year he remains at UNT. 

You'll do anything to change the subject back to RV, won't you?

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNT90 said:

Really? Name another FBS school that would still employ RV under the exact same circumstances. There isn't one. UNT is participation U. 

The point is that you will stretch any topic to include your RV rant.  Take it to that thread.

• Downvote 1

On 2/25/2016 at 2:44 PM, 97and03 said:

On 2/26/2016 at 0:53 PM, UNTLifer said:

Over a decade ago the University Presidents who control the NCAA decided reward any team with at least a .500 record with a bowl game. At the time, most teams played 11 games so it was unusual for a team to have an actual .500 record - they were either above or below. Even now, before a 6-6 team gets in, all of the 7-5 teams are supposed to get in. But don't blame TV for this, it was the Presidents that decided to do it!