Benford termination watch thread

UNT90

9 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

UNT90 has done to GMG.com what RV has done to North Texas Athletics.... Minus the fringe success and facility upgrades  

They're basically the same person.

If comics book have taught us anything, and they haven't, doesn't 90 have to be the opposite of RV? Isn't the nemesis the polar opposite?

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

If comics book have taught us anything, and they haven't, doesn't 90 have to be the opposite of RV? Isn't the nemesis the polar opposite?

Batman and the Joker need each other. They're basically the same dude.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

So I'm motivated, smart, think outside the box, embrace 21st century technology, truthful, hold employes accountable, know how to schedule college football games, not a serial crier when showing how much I truly care about UNT sports, not just keeping my paycheck, and sweater vest free? 

I'll take it...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

I used to have floor seats, but gave them up a few years ago because I just couldn't stand watching our team play so bad so often. I agree that it is past time for a change, but I wonder why Billy See left Jonny Jones record off of our combined records under R.V.'s leadership. Not that it will look much different, but you can't pick and choose which coaches and records to include if you are trying to present an accurate record.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, wardly said:

I used to have floor seats, but gave them up a few years ago because I just couldn't stand watching our team play so bad so often. I agree that it is past time for a change, but I wonder why Billy See left Jonny Jones record off of our combined records under R.V.'s leadership. Not that it will look much different, but you can't pick and choose which coaches and records to include if you are trying to present an accurate record.

Fair point. RV definitely gets credit for JJ.

44 minutes ago, wardly said:

It's for coaching hires in the last 10 years. Just because you got lucky once early in your career doesn't mean you get to rest on that semi-success for 10 years, unless, of course, you are the AD at UNT, the easiest job in America.

JJ was hired more than 10 years ago. That's why his record isn't included.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

So I'm motivated, smart, think outside the box, embrace 21st century technology, truthful, hold employes accountable, know how to schedule college football games, not a serial crier when showing how much I truly care about UNT sports, not just keeping my paycheck, and sweater vest free? 

I'll take it...

You should start a twitter account and send out more regular updates on this situation.  Inquiring minds will want to keep up with the latest updates and it would be easier than checking this website.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

I've said it before, when I started keeping track of that I just thought back as many revenue coaches as I could remember.

I realized after the 2014 UAB football game that we didn't just have a bad team. We had a bad coach who was hired by an AD who continually made bad hires. I have only really been following UNT sports closely since 2011. Those coaches I listed were the ones I could think of off the top of my head, and I compiled their record and saw how awful it was. Did not realize JJ was the last one before that.

As for now why I don't include JJ, because as of now that hire was made almost 15 years ago. We're about to have to fire another revenue coach. What's a better forecaster of RV making a hire right now; one he made 15 years ago or the eight he has made in the last 10 years?

• Upvote 7

It's a mute point. The only revenue sports we have are football and men's basketball. Women's basketball is a financial money pit, with little interest and poor attendance .[ When added,baseball will be the mother of all money pits] Based upon R.V.'s previous men's basketball hires, he is 1 for 2. In football, he is 0 for 2. When you have 10 losing seasons in the past 11 years it is really hard to be optimistic.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, wardly said:

It's a mute point. The only revenue sports we have are football and men's basketball. Women's basketball is a financial money pit, with little interest and poor attendance .[ When added,baseball will be the mother of all money pits] Based upon R.V.'s previous men's basketball hires, he is 1 for 2. In football, he is 0 for 2. When you have 10 losing seasons in the past 11 years it is really hard to be optimistic.

True, but something CAN be done about it.  Simply look at La Tech for a close example.  They have so much less to work with yet overall they seem to be run by highly motivated people who get it done.  

Rick 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, wardly said:

But RV deserves to stay in his job and have the athletic department named after him...he introduced tailgating to the university--you can't just let go of someone with that kind of vision...///UNT 17

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, wardly said:

The same can be said about both men's basketball and football...

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

But RV deserves to stay in his job and have the athletic department named after him...he introduced tailgating to the university--you can't just let go of someone with that kind of vision...///UNT 17

I guess some people like 1990s vision, because that's the "vision" RV possesses.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

When you must invest $8 million or so in a baseball venue it is a money pit, as you will never break even on operating costs, such as coaches, travel expenses, equipment, scholarships,etc. I am opposed to the addition of this sport, but realize it was a condition of entry into CUSA. Nobody really gives a shit about women's basketball. Men's basketball and football are the only revenue sports that actually can make money. Everything else is money out.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, wardly said:

When you must invest $8 million or so in a baseball venue it is a money pit, as you will never break even on operating costs, such as coaches, travel expenses, equipment, scholarships,etc. I am opposed to the addition of this sport, but realize it was a condition of entry into CUSA. Nobody really gives a shit about women's basketball. Men's basketball and football are the only revenue sports that actually can make money. Everything else is money out.

I would argue that we don't know if anyone gives a crap about women's basketball because we have always been awful at it. (It's well documented that I don't give a crap about that sport, so this is kinda a weird argument to make)

I mean, do we really know what kind of attendance a conference champion caliber women's team would bring? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

19 hours ago, wardly said:

Wait, I thought you were a RV supporter? Have you come to the smart side?  

A good baseball program is a money maker. A lot of home game opportunities to make revenue and unlike football,  to bring in marquee programs into Denton. Of course there is a ton of overhead when trying to get something up and running, but that's in everything that is starting out. I think baseball is the one sport where UNT can have early and sustained success with minimal costs. If you fellas think there is a lot of football talent in DFW then the amount of baseball talent in this area will get you giddy in a hurry. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

In business you would never invest $8 million in bricks and sticks for an enterprise that is guaranteed to lose money. TCU and DBU probably make a little money. LSU and Texas probably make a lot. I would love to have a women's softball and men's baseball program as good as ULL. In addition, smart side or dark side,UNT the side I am on.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

In business you would never invest $8 million in bricks and sticks for an enterprise that is guaranteed to lose money. TCU and DBU probably make a little money. LSU and Texas probably make a lot. I would love to have a women's softball and men's baseball program as good as ULL. In addition, smart side or dark side,UNT the side I am on.

You can't bring up business, it's all about rainbows and butterflies

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Seuss said:

Didn't Benford's termination watch begin back when he thought this was a hockey team and starting making substitutions every 60 seconds?

Good point, but there is a 50/50 chance it may actually happen now. Back then, there was a zero percent chance...

And he subbed faster than a hockey coach. Just sayin...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

With only six games left and virtually nothing to play for, I imagine Benford will finish out the season, pack four suits, wear one, fly home, and move on into the sunset, probably entitled to some sweet UNT employee retirement package.  

They'll name the floor in the "E" practice facility, Benford Court at the "E" because players will run all over it.

Denton dry cleaners will rejoice because suit wearers will once again don their finest more than once a year.

Locker room chemotherapy will become a thing of the past, future generations seeing it as a barbaric treatment for a horrible disease.

Pamphlets are sure to fall from the sky describing this insane new NCAA rule call "Free Throws."

Tony Mitchell will still be playing for tanks of gasoline in Venezuela, wondering what might have been if he'd maintained a cooler head, and had different guidance.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

On 2/14/2016 at 11:03 PM, untjim1995 said:

Yes, but the only reason Villarreal introduced tailgating was so that the riff raff would stay out in the parking lot long enough for the magnificent 17 to enter the stadium without having to interact with us low lives.

sardonic

• Upvote 1