Benford termination watch thread

UNT90

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

Young Ben, we have been trying to tell you this for multiple years now. The leadership at this university will never look at sports the way you want them to. They care a ton about UNT-Dallas or UNT-Frisco, as they know its easy money to get more students to enroll.

Winning at revenue sports has never mattered here one iota. Never. There are literally decades of figures from w/l records, attendance, fundraising, etc..to look at to back this up. Just now, we have 17 alums, out of hundreds of thousands of UNT graduates, who care enough about UNT sports to fund it at a "big" level. And how does the BOR and administration look at them? Like they are god-sends, because they don't have to put any emphasis on even caring about something they don't want to care about. Hence, we get UNT-Dallas from Lee Jackson. We get UNT-Frisco, which Smatresk seems giddy about.

And the bold is what annoys me. it's great that it happened or is  happening, but large scale its nothing. I only bring that up because Smastrek was adamant about letting the sport faithful about making athletics a window to this university. He has not pushed his hand. The firing of Dan Mccarney was something that HAD to happen. Allowing the AD to sit in place solidifies that Smastrek is not as serious about athletics as he originally portrayed. And for that, his words for me hold no weight now. No one cares about Frisco and someone needs to actually tell him that. He can glamour it to death and it will still not matter. If he wants to cement a real legacy he will need to turn sports around. The president that pushes that envelope with violence will be long remembered for being THAT president to right the ship. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

And the bold is what annoys me. it's great that it happened or is  happening, but large scale its nothing. I only bring that up because Smastrek was adamant about letting the sport faithful about making athletics a window to this university. He has not pushed his hand. The firing of Dan Mccarney was something that HAD to happen. Allowing the AD to sit in place solidifies that Smastrek is not as serious about athletics as he originally portrayed. And for that, his words for me hold no weight now. No one cares about Frisco and someone needs to actually tell him that. He can glamour it to death and it will still not matter. If he wants to cement a real legacy he will need to turn sports around. The president that pushes that envelope with violence will be long remembered for being THAT president to right the ship. 

Let's be honest here.  Historically, there would have been NO WAY they would have even considered firing Mac as early as they did.  So let's give credit where credit is due, they are moving in the right direction, whether it be in terms of coaching hires, assistant salaries, facilities, conference affiliation.  The problem is there was such a damn long period of minimal investment that we are having to play major catchup and it isn't happening as fast as we wish that it would.  We hoped that Apogee would provide us an instant boost in attendance and recruiting etc, the reality is that takes years, probably decades to see tangible results.  Same thing in terms of academics, we have seen the Carnagie designation in the past week and I expect we will see them continue to build our reputation as the state HAS to develop more tier 1 colleges and the flagships (UT/A&M) are running out of space and we are seeing many good Texas students leaving the state.

Frisco is actually a good thing.  We need to spread out brand out there and provide access to professionals looking to further their education.  We can still offer the true college experience in Denton and that will not change.

In terms of athletics, I think most would agree Littrell was a good hire.  He has brought in some very good assistants and this will reap dividends.  It is going to take time.  The problem we face is most of our fanbase is dealing with over a decade in football with only one winning season, a season in which we lost to in state rival UTSA at home btw.  So while the Seth Littrell hope candle has been lit, and most of us are very encouraged by the hire it will take several years to get this program back where it deserves to be.  The powers that be at North Texas need to understand that fan morale is very low at this time and adjust accordingly.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Let's be honest here.  Historically, there would have been NO WAY they would have even considered firing Mac as early as they did.  So let's give credit where credit is due, they are moving in the right direction, whether it be in terms of coaching hires, assistant salaries, facilities, conference affiliation.  The problem is there was such a damn long period of minimal investment that we are having to play major catchup and it isn't happening as fast as we wish that it would.  We hoped that Apogee would provide us an instant boost in attendance and recruiting etc, the reality is that takes years, probably decades to see tangible results.  Same thing in terms of academics, we have seen the Carnagie designation in the past week and I expect we will see them continue to build our reputation as the state HAS to develop more tier 1 colleges and the flagships (UT/A&M) are running out of space and we are seeing many good Texas students leaving the state.

Frisco is actually a good thing.  We need to spread out brand out there and provide access to professionals looking to further their education.  We can still offer the true college experience in Denton and that will not change.

In terms of athletics, I think most would agree Littrell was a good hire.  He has brought in some very good assistants and this will reap dividends.  It is going to take time.  The problem we face is most of our fanbase is dealing with over a decade in football with only one winning season, a season in which we lost to in state rival UTSA at home btw.  So while the Seth Littrell hope candle has been lit, and most of us are very encouraged by the hire it will take several years to get this program back where it deserves to be.  The powers that be at North Texas need to understand that fan morale is very low at this time and adjust accordingly.

And that is something that Smastrek must take into consideration when looking at the athletic landscape of UNT. He can't just soak in what is happening here since he has been here. He has to understand that UNT has a fan base that is a suffering bunch and the one and only common denominator to that suffrage is RV. He hasn't pushed his hand and throws out political rhetoric when asked about it. We suck and unfortunately will probably continue to suck. As for Littrell, it is way too early to solidify that as a "good hire." It was a hire that makes sense and that is as far as I am willing to go. A good hire is going to put us in position to win THIS season, get kids to the combine, win some games, compete for CUSA championships, etc. That fits the mold of a good hire. For now, it's a sensible hire but not a good hire. 

As for Frisco, yes it is a good thing that we are expanding. But he is placing that in front of his peasants and celebrating that as if his presidency at UNT as been fulfilled and is a job. well. done. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

As for Frisco, yes it is a good thing that we are expanding. But he is placing that in front of his peasants and celebrating that as if his presidency at UNT as been fulfilled and is a job. well. done. 

It doesn't appear he is doing that at all. He trying to cheer lead for it, yes, but it doesn't appear he is saying or even appearing to say his presidency at UNT has been fulfilled.  Under your prespective, you could make a similar argument for getting Tier one recognition, even though we still have a long way to go to get a piece of the Texas PUF money.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

And that is something that Smastrek must take into consideration when looking at the athletic landscape of UNT. He can't just soak in what is happening here since he has been here. He has to understand that UNT has a fan base that is a suffering bunch and the one and only common denominator to that suffrage is RV. He hasn't pushed his hand and throws out political rhetoric when asked about it. We suck and unfortunately will probably continue to suck. As for Littrell, it is way too early to solidify that as a "good hire." It was a hire that makes sense and that is as far as I am willing to go. A good hire is going to put us in position to win THIS season, get kids to the combine, win some games, compete for CUSA championships, etc. That fits the mold of a good hire. For now, it's a sensible hire but not a good hire. 

I don't think that means what you think it means

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Solid post. Raising the Club Seat minimum MGC donation level is not showing the type of understanding that you speak of, Harry. 

Also, one of the reason that we haven't seen that bounce with Apogee is because of the athletic director. Plain and simple. He hasn't been able to take advantage, even when given the tools that he needs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Censored by Laurie said:

if everyone goes on record and agrees that every problem and failure, no matter the size and/or purview, lies solely at the feet of Rick Villareal will you just shut up for a while and stop turning (nearly)literally every thread, regardless of topic, into a re-wording of the same five or so sentences you've been repeating ad nauseam for the last few months?

this place used to be fun. you make it less fun. stop. 

No. But thank you for your input.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

5 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

if everyone goes on record and agrees that every problem and failure, no matter the size and/or purview, lies solely at the feet of Rick Villareal will you just shut up for a while and stop turning (nearly)literally every thread, regardless of topic, into a re-wording of the same five or so sentences you've been repeating ad nauseam for the last few months?

this place used to be fun. you make it less fun. stop. 

By place, do you mean the basketball forum?

If so, I can think of two causes, one of them could very fairly be considered the root cause.

46 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

By place, do you mean the basketball forum?

If so, I can think of two causes, one of them could very fairly be considered the root cause.

I meant the board as a whole, but ya I guess the basketball board serves as a solid microcosm. 

I agree with you as to where the fault lies, but that doesn't mean that every conversation on every topic needs to devolve into the same re-hashing of talking points...over and over. and over. 

and over. 

the worst part about it is the fact that he's not wrong and that damn near everyone agrees with him...it's that he's deluded himself into a sense of accomplishment with every post.

he's somehow become an anti-world bacon at this point...yes, it's great and save for a pocket of about 17 vegetarians you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who disagrees...but eff me man I don't need it in everything from my bloody mary to my ice cream

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I meant the board as a whole, but ya I guess the basketball board serves as a solid microcosm. 

I agree with you as to where the fault lies, but that doesn't mean that every conversation on every topic needs to devolve into the same re-hashing of talking points...over and over. and over. 

and over. 

the worst part about it is the fact that he's not wrong and that damn near everyone agrees with him...it's that he's deluded himself into a sense of accomplishment with every post.

he's somehow become an anti-world bacon at this point...yes, it's great and save for a pocket of about 17 vegetarians you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who disagrees...but eff me man I don't need it in everything from my bloody mary to my ice cream

UNT90 is a meat eater?

OK. Until then, quit wasting my time. There are issues that are running rampant in the athletic department that needs serious addressing. My grammar is not one of those issues. 

Which of your 5,041 posts has been most effective in solving things so far?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

51 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

and over. 

The hell you don't!!! Bacon is good on ANYTHING!! 

You chose the wrong analogy, bro. 

37 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

UNT90 is a meat eater?

See above. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Which of your 5,041 posts has been most effective in solving things so far?

Zero. It's not my job to solve issues as a fan. It's the administration's job. As a fan it is my job to bitch and moan. They are not doing their job even in the light of knowing that fans are beyond disgruntled.

And nothing is being done because no one really cares. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

Zero. It's not my job to solve issues as a fan. It's the administration's job. As a fan it is my job to bitch and moan. They are not doing their job even in the light of knowing that fans are beyond disgruntled.

There are only 17 fans that matter, young Ben. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Do you and Lydia enjoy Yelp?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Haha, you have no way of knowing that no is not noticing because the president is not saying anything in public about the situation.  I'll be he is well aware of how disgruntled some of the fan base is.

16 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

and over. 

UNT90 has done to GMG.com what RV has done to North Texas Athletics.... Minus the fringe success and facility upgrades  

They're basically the same person.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

UNT90 has done to GMG.com what RV has done to North Texas Athletics.... Minus the fringe success and facility upgrades  

They're basically the same person.

If only y'all would complain to Pres. Smatresk about RV as much as y'all complain to the mods about me...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6