Benford termination watch thread

UNT90

21 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

With another season in the books, here's where RV's revenue hires of the past decade stand heading into the 2016-2017 school year. 

WBB:

- 25-67 Stephens (2008-2011)

- 15-16 Aston (2011-2012)

- 28-61 Peterson (2012-2015)

- 11-19 Jalie Mitchell (2015-2016)

79-163 total

MBB:

- 12-20 Benford (2012-2013)

- 16-16 Benford (2013-2014)

- 14-17 Benford (2014-2015)

- 12-20 Benford (2015-2016)

54-73 total

Football:

- 6-37 Dodge (2007-2010)

- 22-32 Mccarney (2011-2015)

- 3-9 Canales (2010, 2015)*

28-69 total

*31-78 total including Canales

Combined Total:

161-305

*164-314 including Canales

150 games under .500, 1 winning season out of 21 for those coaches, and the first 10-loss football season and 20-loss basketball season in the same school year in university history.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20150519-coaches-talk-attendance.ece

No, because there was no gamble. JJ was a known commodity. I could have done that. Pay me $325k and I will.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Army of Dad said:

No, because the coaches listed were the ones hired by RV and are likely to be indicative of any future hires...

Right, but at least RV recognized he had a great thing in Johnny and was able to keep him despite overtures from other schools.  It wasn't until LSU came calling that he jumped ship.   He could have let JJ's first contract run out and give it a go himself.  That's what he wanted to do with Dickey, before Dickey forced his hand after winning the SBC.

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Right, but at least RV recognized he had a great thing in Johnny and was able to keep him despite overtures from other schools.  It wasn't until LSU came calling that he jumped ship.   He could have let JJ's first contract run out and give it a go himself.  That's what he wanted to do with Dickey, before Dickey forced his hand after winning the SBC.

If your argument includes 'he didn't F it up' at its base, you aren't doing well...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

If your argument includes 'he didn't F it up' at its base, you aren't doing well...

I understand people want to make RV look as bad as possible (like he needs any help).   I'm just trying to bring a little objectivity into it.

Just now, CMJ said:

RV did hire JJ originally.  It was his first ever hire at NT I believe.

I thought JJ was an out-the-door hire by Helwig?

3 minutes ago, Travis said:

I recall RV saying that Benford HAD to win to keep his job this past year. We will see if he is true to his word. 

I swear, if I hear something about letting him stay because of Keith... I am going to lose it.  

There's no way he'll say this.  But that is probably a motivator.  Expect alot of "we saw improvement", "another opportunity", and other vague talk. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Travis said:

I recall RV saying that Benford HAD to win to keep his job this past year. We will see if he is true to his word. 

I swear, if I hear something about letting him stay because of Keith... I am going to lose it.  

Agree. Frazier is a nice player (with some baggage) but not game changing enough to base decisions about the future of your program upon.

50 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He hired Jones. I've explained this before, but for me this all started back in the 2014 football season against UAB. I wasn't a big fan of Mccarney at the time, but that game pushed me over the edge in realizing that Mccarney was bad and his recruiting was awful. Then I looked and saw all of our big 3 coaches were bad.

So then I thought, hey, it's not just Mccarney. He's just another bad hire by RV. Then I thought back as far as I could off the top of my head at the time (I enrolled at UNT in fall 2011) and remembered as many hired in those sports as I could, and added up their records and saw they were almost 100 games under .500 at the time. Did not realize Jones was the previous hire, or when he was extended.

As for now, that hire was made 15 years ago. Based on how things have gone, his hires over the last 10 years are a much better indicator for what we're looking at for RV making a hire present day.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There's no way he'll say this.  But that is probably a motivator.  Expect alot of "we saw improvement", "another opportunity", and other vague talk. 

Keith has no other option but t play at UNT next year or go D2. We could hire Dan McCarney's used sunglasses to be head basketball coach and Fraizer ain't going anywhere.

Stupidest reason ever to retain Benford.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Keith has no other option but t play at UNT next year or go D2. We could hire Dan McCarney's used sunglasses to be head basketball coach and Fraizer ain't going anywhere.

Pretty sure they are saying that the excuse to keep benford will be because they will be better next year with Keith, not that we are scared of losing him if we fire benford.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And it's not like there were ever a bunch of good reasons...

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Pretty sure they are saying that the excuse to keep benford will be because they will be better next year with Keith, not that we are scared of losing him if we fire benford.

Exactly. With the track record of his players making or staying with the program, counting on next year's roster is silly.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

I could get behind this if it ensures Benford is gone. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Beginner's luck?

He was Associate AD at Southern Miss for 3 years, FWIW.

My favorite part of his MGS.com bio

He is also responsible for creating the organizational foundation for a department that has seen unprecedented academic and competitive success during his tenure.

They must be ignoring the revenue sports?

4 hours ago, GangGreen said:

Are we even sure that Frazier will ever step foot on the court?

This is a valid concern due to off-the-court issues. There is no denying his demonstrated athletic capabilities would carry a lot of the load for us...the danger is that he won't be allowed to participate. I'm not familiar with the other prospective additions; are any of them "story" players?

16 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

This is a valid concern due to off-the-court issues. There is no denying his demonstrated athletic capabilities would carry a lot of the load for us...the danger is that he won't be allowed to participate. I'm not familiar with the other prospective additions; are any of them "story" players?

Ryan wool ridge is a beast... Should be able to move Reece off the point and low him to play his natural position, the 2. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Shoot, he really could go pro instead of retuning here next year.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Which is idiocy, because the only way to be better next year is to fire a coach that can't. If they believe Keith is that good, give him a chance to be successful.