Players are calling MGC members...

Ben Gooding

I just received a call from Brandon Garner thanking me for my MGC donations and to let me know that renewal is right around the corner. We spoke for a moment but I had to cut it short because I am closing up at work. A real stand up guy. 

I have noticed that the frequency of all UNT contacts has increased (perhaps doubled) in the last two weeks, if you include email. Advancement, Alumni Assn., MGC and Merch. sales. Anyone else?

• Upvote 3

So let me get this straight. Everyone is busting their asses to get people interested because RV can't help but run his mouth and chased good people away?

RV, great leadership...

Pretty much, but it was nice getting a player to call and express their appreciation. 

I think in the new HC needs to go around and handout season tickets in home to whoever lives in Denton County. That would be saaaaweeet. It would also go a long way while trying to build a loyal MGC base. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Has Canales called anyone yet. I could see him manning the phone for a while and reaching out to supporters. I doubt he'd even need someone to ask him to. Just seems like the kind of guy that would.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 6

Guys I don't think this has anything to do with RV trying to cover his tail.   This has happened each year for the last several years.   We also got a call tonight.   It was from a young lady on the tennis team.   I knew that we recruited a lot of kids from Europe so I asked her where she was from.    She laughed and said she was proud to be from the US of A and was the only one from the US of A on the team.   We had a nice visit.   She seemed like a really nice young lady and was very appreciative of the help that was received from the Mean Green Club members.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

So let me get this straight. Everyone is busting their asses to get people interested because RV can't stop running his mouth and chased good people away?

RV, great leadership...

No....this planned long ago.  Every university I am associated with does this sort of thing.  UNT started last year as I recall.  At least it is the first year I recall this happening.  For some reason I got two calls...one from a women's basketball player and one from a football player.  Both did a great job and both were happy to chat for a moment as well.  Very positive experience.

I already had calls from Okie State and the United States Merchant Marine Academy...expecting Central Missouri soon.  Ha!

So, yes, good leadership from whomever got this rolling at UNT.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I had a very nice, bright member of the track team. She told me she walked on and later got a scholarship funded by MGC funds. She told me it really helped her with school. That's something to remember - when you cut donations to hurt RV you could end up hurting some kid. 

Their scholarships are still good no matter how much the MGC receives in donations. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's something to remember - when you cut donations to hurt RV you could end up hurting some kid. 

True, but letting RV remain as AD hurts all of the "kids" in football and basketball. Nobody wants to play for a college that loses all the time. It's an ass-whipping to have your friends at other schools see you in the bottom 10 rankings and give you grief about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I got some kid on the track team.  I kinda made fun of him for reading a script, then he stopped, and we just talked.  He's a freshman and he was really excited to have made the travelling squad (did I say that right?  I don't know how track works).  I told him that a major donor to UNT athletics had helped me through school and that I was paying it back.  I told him to make use of the educational opportunity he's received.  His sincerity in response was genuine.  I can't for the life of me remember his name because these things always catch me by surprise, but this kid is truly excited and grateful for the scholarship he's received.

• Upvote 5

Yes, but it means they take away money from another program and thus hurt the kids. 

What program? The one where they are supposed to deliver tickets correctly? Where they install seat backs? Promotions? Hire competent coaches (hmm, you might have something there)?

The number of scholarships has already been determined. That will not change unless the number of sports changes. MGC funding scholarships allows the AD to free up money for other items. Not donating will not cost these kids their ride, it will cost RV some discretionary funds.

• Upvote 1

So let me get this straight. Everyone is busting their asses to get people interested because RV can't stop running his mouth and chased good people away?

RV, great leadership...

I'm not sure what this even means.   Who are the good people he 'chased away'?  Did you get a call?  If not, I understand your confusion.  If yes, were you listening to what the person said?  They were calling to thank you for being a MGC member, not 'get people interested'!   This program actually IS good leadership from RV.  

This is the 3rd year I've received a phone call from a player.  This year and last year I got calls from a swim team member.  I didn't get to chat with her this year because we just sat down to dinner.  
The first year, Brandin Byrd called.  At first, I was kinda worried it was a ransom call and someone was distorting their voice...  then when he said who it was and why he was calling, we had a nice chat.

• Upvote 2

Their scholarships are still good no matter how much the MGC receives in donations. 

Says the guy just looking to provide "justification" for folks pulling their support for student-athletes at UNT.  One can frame it any way they like to help them personally feel better about themselves, but any way you slice it, withdrawing support for the Mean Green Club definitely and undeniably hurts student-athletes.  The Mean Green Club supports student scholarships...period.  At other universities, who many tout here as "big time" or programs they wish UNT would emulate, student-athlete scholarship costs are completely covered by donor funds freeing other funds for any number of projects, upgrades, recruiting, coaching salaries, etc., etc. to improve the overall program and to have the resources to stay "big time".  Donors at these programs fund scholarships regardless of who sits in the AD's chair.  Why, because they are "big time" enough to understand the significance of supporting the student in "student-athlete".  The above quoted statement reeks of "small time" thinking, and simply provides another of a long list of excuses for those who claim to support UNT but cannot see past the end of their own nose.

As one player asked me when he noticed I was looking at the GoFundMe banner site on my phone...."Why do they want to shame us like that"?  I had no answer for him on that as he shook his head other than to try to assure him they were not aiming this at the players.  He obviously did not believe that and neither do they believe that withdrawing MGC support is not directed right at them.  They know what is said here and, surprisingly, more often than not who the folks are who say it.  And, they take it very personally.  Perhaps folks forget that these are still very young men who, as yet, may not understand the differences in what motivates people to say and do.  Should they read this site?  Nope.  But, that does not change the fact that they do.  Do all of them?  Probably not.  Do they share the things posted here between themselves?  Yep.

It is just too bad that folks cannot (or choose not to) separate their support for the student-athlete....many still the first in their family to attend college...from their dislike for individuals.  It should be about the student-athlete and UNT.  But, since talking about wanting to be "big time" is so much easier than actually stepping up as a fan to do what one can to help move the program toward "big time" status, folks choose to think and do "small time".  It IS about the student-athlete folks...all about them.....all of them, not just the football and basketball players.  Those toiling away, often under appreciated and playing before small or no crowds at all, need our support through the MGC just as much or more.  Why one would pull support for these young athletes who do nothing but represent this University very well is really a sad thing and will accomplish nothing...nada...zilch...zero toward the "stated goal" of doing so.  It really is counter productive.

I realize this will not be a popular post with some folks...we can guess who they are without much danger of being wrong...and they will record their displeasure accordingly.  But, sometimes looking in the mirror and realizing that ones position is nothing but an excuse is pretty challenging.  When it is all about "if you don't do what I want I will take my ball and go home", well, welcome to the world of "small time" thinking.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Says the guy just looking to provide "justification" for folks pulling their support for student-athletes at UNT.  One can frame it any way they like to help them personally feel better about themselves, but any way you slice it, withdrawing support for the Mean Green Club definitely and undeniably hurts student-athletes.  The Mean Green Club supports student scholarships...period.  At other universities, who many tout here as "big time" or programs they wish UNT would emulate, student-athlete scholarship costs are completely covered by donor funds freeing other funds for any number of projects, upgrades, recruiting, coaching salaries, etc., etc. to improve the overall program and to have the resources to stay "big time".  Donors at these programs fund scholarships regardless of who sits in the AD's chair.  Why, because they are "big time" enough to understand the significance of supporting the student in "student-athlete".  The above quoted statement reeks of "small time" thinking, and simply provides another of a long list of excuses for those who claim to support UNT but cannot see past the end of their own nose.

As one player asked me when he noticed I was looking at the GoFundMe banner site on my phone...."Why do they want to shame us like that"?  I had no answer for him on that as he shook his head other than to try to assure him they were not aiming this at the players.  He obviously did not believe that and neither do they believe that withdrawing MGC support is not directed right at them.  They know what is said here and, surprisingly, more often than not who the folks are who say it.  And, they take it very personally.  Perhaps folks forget that these are still very young men who, as yet, may not understand the differences in what motivates people to say and do.  Should they read this site?  Nope.  But, that does not change the fact that they do.  Do all of them?  Probably not.  Do they share the things posted here between themselves?  Yep.

It is just too bad that folks cannot (or choose not to) separate their support for the student-athlete....many still the first in their family to attend college...from their dislike for individuals.  It should be about the student-athlete and UNT.  But, since talking about wanting to be "big time" is so much easier than actually stepping up as a fan to do what one can to help move the program toward "big time" status, folks choose to think and do "small time".  It IS about the student-athlete folks...all about them.....all of them, not just the football and basketball players.  Those toiling away, often under appreciated and playing before small or no crowds at all, need our support through the MGC just as much or more.  Why one would pull support for these young athletes who do nothing but represent this University very well is really a sad thing and will accomplish nothing...nada...zilch...zero toward the "stated goal" of doing so.  It really is counter productive.

I realize this will not be a popular post with some folks...we can guess who they are without much danger of being wrong...and they will record their displeasure accordingly.  But, sometimes looking in the mirror and realizing that ones position is nothing but an excuse is pretty challenging.  When it is all about "if you don't do what I want I will take my ball and go home", well, welcome to the world of "small time" thinking.

Fans at those "big times" pull their donation due to displeasure all the time. 

KRAM, you are a true apologist. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Fine. All of your points are well taken. However, most fans that were displeased with the results on the field tried to voice their displeasure with the pen and keyboard only to find out that 1. Letters were forwarded to the target of their displeasure without their knowledge. If this was done at the direction of RV then it is at best sad and desperate and at worst underhanded. 2. RV proceeded to publicly disparage those who dared challenge him. When the pen and keyboard are taken away then the next logical tool for the fans, and for any consumer of a product or service, is to speak with their pocketbook(donations, ticket purchases, etc...). It is not taking our ball and going home. It is saying enough is enough. We don't like the product you have produced so it is time for you to go. What would you have us do? Pull back on our donations to other areas of the school? Let's all punish the business school for the failings of the athletic department. How do you think the Texas AD was forced out? $$$$$$$$$$$

• Upvote 3

Can we stop talking about UNT athletes as if they were children in a Pop Warner league?

The banner is about 14 years of failure under RV. If the athletes can accept that McCarney was fired for his win-loss performance, they should be able to understand why fans want to hold RV accountable for his dismal performance. These are people who understand being judged on your performance. It happens to them every time they take the field. If they don't perform, they can lose their spot on the team.

What you should have told that athlete was that fans are tired of seeing athletes like him come to UNT and experience no success, so we want a new AD who can change that.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3