Players are calling MGC members...

Ben Gooding

I hear this all the time as a reason for not donating or getting involved.  Seems to be odd to me as one can always, if they are really interested, pick up the phone, go on-line to meangreensports, the Alumni Assoc or Advancement website and start donating.  

I realize lots of folks want to be asked, but, if really interested in paying it forward, why not take the initiative? I know, I know lots here will say "not my job"...OK, fine, but a little initiative is not bad either.  You do realize that the Mean Green Club has a $25 membership level now, right?

I totally understand where you're coming from- and I agree with many of your points - but you've got two crowds to deal with. Those that are both aware and unwilling, and those that are completely unaware.

Those that are aware (about MGC) are a very small contingency of alumni and fans from the overall student and alumni base. Those that are unwilling or holding out is an even smaller crowd, and to each their own.

But the target really should be recent grads and creating a young new base moving forward. I've only received 1-2 calls from the Athletics office (specifically Coleman) since I graduated in '08, and I always call in first or e-mail to reserve my season tickets. 

They were doing a fundraiser, and you got points for donating? I was on the phone calling them.

That's not to say I'm doing their job, but that they have my info, and I'm not being reached. What about those that hesitate to call, or have no idea MGC is a thing?

Does that mean they're not reaching out to inform the uninformed recent grad base? That's my fear.

I really hope I hear differently (through facts/numbers).

I think this was simply a "thank you for donating" and "check your contact information online to be sure it's correct." That's the impression I got. A simple reach out / touchpoint without actually asking for money. As both someone who's done a lot of marketing and as a long time MGC member, I thing it was a good idea.