How Much Time Do We Give The New Coach To Get Us Bowl Eligible

Eagle-96

I think UNT should be competing for a bowl game next year... the cupboard is not empty, i feel like this past year's recruits are pretty decent and we have a decent core coming back to play next year. 

on top of that, you always have the infusion of excitement from a new coach.if we don't win at least 4 games next year, something is wrong.

• Upvote 1

A decent core from 1 & 11 team? Who cares if any of them come back. We lost because of L.O.F.T.[Lack Of F...ing Talent], and last years recruits were no better that the previous year's.We are worse off than when we fired Dodge because he left us with a core of good players. Danny Mac left us with nothing. Who ever thinks this is going to be a quick fix is up for a bitter disappointment.

• Upvote 3

A decent core from 1 & 11 team? Who cares if any of them come back. We lost because of L.O.F.T.[Lack Of F...ing Talent], and last years recruits were no better that the previous year's.We are worse off than when we fired Dodge because he left us with a core of good players. Danny Mac left us with nothing. Who ever thinks this is going to be a quick fix is up for a bitter disappointment.

We lost a few games because our defense caved (SMU/Rice).   We lost a few games because we were completely outmatched (Iowa/WKU/Marshall).  We definitely lost 1 game because there was zero faith in the HC and strife in the lockerroom (Portland St).  I'm almost wondering if we lost the Rice game due to the QB... otherwise, lump it in with our underperforming Defense.  

Talent is there, especially offensively.  WR and QB are question marks.  OLine is somewhat decent.  RB is stacked.  There are some gaping holes on defense (poor qb pressure from d-line, confusing LB play with lack of speed, VERY YOUNG secondary), but there are some pieces there.

I think you'll be surprised what the next coach gets out of these guys.  We just have to find the right guy.

• Upvote 1

VERY YOUNG secondary), but there are some pieces there.

secondary will be experienced next year. Gray and davis will be seniors, and mcclain will be a jr.  Buyers (sr);will be back at the other corner and have to hold off nate brooks.  I would hope the DC comes with tight/man coverage more.  If that is the case, brooks may keep that corner spto and buyers will be nickel.  

We need to get the young LBs some experience.

• Upvote 1

secondary will be experienced next year. Gray and davis will be seniors, and mcclain will be a jr.  Buyers (sr);will be back at the other corner and have to hold off nate brooks.  I would hope the DC comes with tight/man coverage more.  If that is the case, brooks may keep that corner spto and buyers will be nickel.  

We need to get the young LBs some experience.

Preston is out there taking alot of reps as well.  It's good to be getting him some PT this year.

• Upvote 1

I really hope you are right, but SMU faced same situation this year, has better talent than us in a harder conference, and only has one win against a lesser opponent.

It will be very similar, wardly. UNT is in a deep hole. People want to believe we have some talented pieces here, but for the most part, there aren't many. We have no depth at all, we have no size on the defensive side of the ball at all, and our QB play is just now at a below average place, rising up from the worst in FBS.

The new coach, whoever it will be, is going to have to do two things quickly to get things turned around, IMO. Hit the Jucos for linemen and hit the Texas HS coaches hard for a throwing QB and tell them he can play almost immediately--as in the top backup at worst on day one. Your sales pitch in the next two recruiting seasons is simple--we have playing time available for you right now. At other G5s, you're gonna have to wait, most likely, to hit the playing field. Here--have you seen the results we have had?--you may get to actually play on the field in your first year here, maybe even start. We are among the 5 worst teams in FBS right now--use it to your advantage as the new coach.

"Yep, we were awful, so bad that the previous coach got fired after he saw the team quit on him and get beat in the worst loss in modern college football history. And that's why I'm here today. I'm gonna rebuild this thing up and it starts with you playing for me as soon as you can be ready--other coaches will tell you the same, but I've got a team full of folks who quit on their team to the point it got their coach fired ASAP afterwards. They aren't going to play here for me unless they can show me they can fit into our plans. That's how I know I have playing time available for you. Son, I know you can play--I've seen your tapes and your games. You are so good, you are better than most anyone I have right now at your position. I can see you playing immediately. Chad Morris, Skip Holtz, Larry Coker, Sean Kugler, Dennis Franchione, and David Bailiff might say the same thing to you, too, but when they do, just ask yourself if they had a season like UNT just had and if playing time really looks available to you there like it does here...I think we both know the honest answer, don't we? So let's get this thing going up here in Denton!!"

• Downvote 1

• 7 years later...
On 11/4/2015 at 9:08 AM, aztecskin said:

With this talent we have an outside chance of a bowl next year, as highlighted above. 

In general, every four years -- barring a catastrophic injury, run of injuries, or mitigating circumstance -- we should compete for the CUSA title (like be near favorites) every 4 years, with bowls coming at least every two years, with the goal being a bowl 3 out of every 4. I think that's reasonable. 

This allows for injury plagued years, the occasional bust recruiting class, bad luck, etc. 

For example, if Danny Mac would have produced a near bowl season last year (should have been the case), this season would have been his Pass year. The scheduling / roster turnover might have been argued as mitigating circumstances. 

My how times have changed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 11:35 AM, rcade said:

Whenever somebody digs a long-dead thread out of its grave I check to see if I praised Todd Dodge in it.

Portland State beat a team called the North American Stallions 91-0 yesterday.

I wish some of our fans on Twitter/X would keep their mouth shut.  This got us on espn.com week 3's best trolls.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38417438/college-football-week-3-best-trolls

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

I wish some of our fans on Twitter/X would keep their mouth shut.  This got us on espn.com week 3's best trolls.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38417438/college-football-week-3-best-trolls

NTXSports was doing that "laugh at ourselves" thing and the Big Sky Conference decided that laughing at us was funnier. Rat bastards.

• Upvote 2