Coaching Search Ticker-North Texas Candidates

dml7007

They don't want him to go, obviously.  I would say if we pay him a million plus a year to be a head coach at his age he would be crazy not to at least listen.

Art is a young 60.  He could be coaching in that job for another decade... Kendall is still a few years away from a big job like USC or somesuch. 

If the UNT gig did not work out he would still be young enough to head back to the assistant side and reinvent himself. 

Personally I think the issue is more does UNT want to hire a 33 year old and pay him more - by far - than they have ever paid any employee in the history of the university. 

I agree, I just don't know how you can turn down what we are talking about paying our next coach just to wait out other possibilities. He will always have a job with his dad if it doesn't work out here and he'll be a few million richer at the least. This is like baseball and basketball free agency, you are paying based on the market, not necessarily because they are more valuable than any other coach. I don't know that any college coach should be getting paid millions of dollars but that's just the world we live in. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

I have a significant other that works within the Baylor athletics department in the marketing side of things and the word on the street is that Briles plans on riding out the ship at Baylor until his father retires and steps aside. He has the funding and support from an entire town and community to keep on coaching there.

I could say that I don't want to work somewhere either just because my dad owns a company. But if another company throws me an offer of a pretty darn good paycheck, and the shot at working as the head director/manager/executive that I would not normally get at my age (especially waiting another 10 years for my dad to step down), I would definitely consider the new job offer as an option.

Don't know how the guy thinks, but Harry said it perfectly.. He would would be crazy not to listen or even consider this option. I say he would come in for an interview if UNT showed him his potential job perks.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 3

While that might be true....they don't have a choice since they signed the dotted line. Not even close to being an applicable comparison imo.  Comparing coaches and military "lifers" just doesn't mesh

I think it's a fair comparison. The assistant coach isn't also signing on a dotted line? Also, a good young(er) officer will listen to his senior NCOs and still be an effective leader. If we are to hire a younger head coach he will have some coaches older than himself. He will listen to their counsel and decide on what he thinks is best. 

• Upvote 4

Because he's even less qualified than Briles.....

How is he less qualified? Because he doesn't have a dad that is the head coach at a P5 school that hired him? Briles has had one year experience as an OC. I would say that Applewhite is more qualified in that he has coached at multiple schools under multiple coaches including Nick Saban, Todd Graham, and Mack Brown. Applewhite has also spent 6 seasons as an offensive coordinator.

• Upvote 1

#expectmore

Tell me what to expect.  Please. 

I know what we have in Chico, personally, I love it.  He gets it.  He's a player's coach, he's fun to watch on the sidelines, he loves this program and its fans.

You think Briles is leaving his Dad and one of the top offenses in the country to come here?  The offensive coordinators at TCU have turned down P5 offers according to this board.  Major Applewhite, good name, does he have what it takes?  Is he even interested?  It's a gamble.  Throw out any name and there is a ?

At the end of the day, I have this feeling that Chico is gone.  You and many others will get your wish.  My fear is Canales will get his shot somewhere else, show his passion, energy, creativeness and make an impact.  He would be a great coach for a lot of programs, why not us? 

Also, parting ways with Chico means you are putting your faith in RV to make the next great hire.  I would think you of all people would be against that.  Make Chico the coach.  Give DaMarcus one more year in his system so he doesn't have to learn yet another system.  Give him the chance he's earned to lead this program.  He won't fail.  He works too hard.  If he does, by that time RV should be gone and a new athletic director can attract a new coach.  You know as well as I do coaches aren't flocking to come work under RV.

I know what we have in Chico, personally, I love it.  He gets it.  He's a player's coach, he's fun to watch on the sidelines, he loves this program and its fans.

You think Briles is leaving his Dad and one of the top offenses in the country to come here?  The offensive coordinators at TCU have turned down P5 offers according to this board.  Major Applewhite, good name, does he have what it takes?  Is he even interested?  It's a gamble.  Throw out any name and there is a ?

At the end of the day, I have this feeling that Chico is gone.  You and many others will get your wish.  My fear is Canales will get his shot somewhere else, show his passion, energy, creativeness and make an impact.  He would be a great coach for a lot of programs, why not us? 

Also, parting ways with Chico means you are putting your faith in RV to make the next great hire.  I would think you of all people would be against that.  Make Chico the coach.  Give DaMarcus one more year in his system so he doesn't have to learn yet another system.  Give him the chance he's earned to lead this program.  He won't fail.  He works too hard.  If he does, by that time RV should be gone and a new athletic director can attract a new coach.  You know as well as I do coaches aren't flocking to come work under RV.

Expect more than a guy who thinks Josh Greer is an FBS QB

Expect more than a guy who hasn't landed one FBS QB in 6 years of recruiting.

Expect more than a guy who has won one game over a terrible team starting their 4th team, walk on QB

Expect the guy responsible for one of the worst offenses in the nation to be accountable for said offense.

Expect more for the University of North Texas. For a change.

Exactly what has he done to EARN this job??

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Expect more than a guy who thinks Josh Greer is an FBS QB

Expect more than a guy who hasn't landed one FBS QB in 6 years of recruiting.

Expect more than a guy who has won one game over a terrible team starting their 4th team, walk on QB

Expect the guy responsible for one of the worst offenses in the nation to be accountable for said offense.

Expect more for the University of North Texas. For a change.

Exactly what has he done to EARN this job??

It doesn't matter.  I said, you'll get your wish.  He'll be gone and RV will make the hire. 

I'm a fan of the man, I hope RV is able to bring someone in here who is better suited for the job.  Looking forward to locking the gate one final time on November 28

It doesn't matter.  I said, you'll get your wish.  He'll be gone and RV will make the hire. 

I'm a fan of the man, I hope RV is able to bring someone in here who is better suited for the job.  Looking forward to locking the gate one final time on November 28

I think most are fans of Chico, but he rubbed people the wrong way during the last search, now I personally think he should have been hired in 2010 versus Losing DMac, but that did not happen and now Chico has the stain of being on the coaching staff with 4 losing seasons after getting huge pay raises and a new stadium and squandering it and then the complete lack of recruiting.

It shouldn't be a "feeling" for you.

It's been confirmed by pretty-much everyone that he will not be here next year.  Rick Villareal has said so.  Chico's relatives have said so.  Chico himself alludes to it.

I think most people on this board would be surprised at the level of interest in the job.   We've already first interviewed close to 10 people.   Some of the names that have been thrown around as "never wanting to come here" in fact reached out to us.

• Upvote 1

I think most people on this board would be surprised at the level of interest in the job.   We've already first interviewed close to 10 people.   Some of the names that have been thrown around as "never wanting to come here" in fact reached out to us.

As much as it might seem odd that I would agree with Cerebus on much of anything, he is definitely spot on with the above comment.  I think people would be very...very...surprised and some might even be shocked at the interest in this HC position, and in some if the names who have contacted RV expressing interest in the position.  Yep...even some who the "experts" here have announced as "never wanting to come here." How it all plays out regarding coaching philosophy, salary demands, contract length, assistant coaches, etc., etc. is anyone's guess at this point.  But, for anyone to even think that there is not a lot of interest in this job would be very foolish.  As Mac liked to say on many an occasion...there are only 128 of these jobs in the country.  Silly how some folks disrespect their own university by thinking this guy or that guy "would never want to come here."

• Upvote 4

Yeah I would love to hear some of these names too.

Cerebus,

We have your (insert loved ones name here) and are holding him/her hostage. We do not wish to hurt him/her but will do what we have to. Please give us the name(s) of said coach(es) that have interviewed and we will release (loved ones name) unharmed. We are serious. It will only take a few names. 

blog_blazing_saddles_hostage.jpg

• Upvote 1

I will confirm that at least 7 people were interviewed as of Saturday night. Names were not shared.