Coaching Search Ticker-North Texas Candidates

dml7007

Hell no to Jay Norvell. The Austin sports media is having a field day with this guy over his performance against Iowa State. Also, Withers can't be a serious candidate if he is a defensive guy, right? Didn't RV say they were going after offensive coaches?

Arizona State also played Iowa State last weekend?

The article says Mike Norvell, not Jay. They are different people entirely.

Withers is an interesting possibility. Has what many here have been calling for (HC experience at lower level, strong coordinator experience) and seems to let his OC do his job, based on those offensive stats. Has some limited Texas connection (assistant at UT a long time ago).

Could do a lot worse.

• Upvote 1

Arizona State also played Iowa State last weekend?

The article says Mike Norvell, not Jay. They are different people entirely.

The article refers to both Mike and Jay.

" I’m hearing the North Texas coaching search is progressing. A few of the names I’m told are in the mix: Baylor OC Kendal Briles, a 2006 grad of Houston; Arizona State OC Mike Norvell and James Madison coach Everett Withers. Another potential option for UNT is Texas play-caller Jay Norvell."

• Upvote 2

Withers has a tremendous resume.  What he doesn't have is an offensive expertise and spent only one year coaching in Texas ... which are two big points RV has brought up.  I'd still take him if, as Harry has said, he has a good plan for recruiting and could hire a few coaches who do have Texas ties.  If he wants to bring his entire JMU coaching staff with him i would be concerned.

I have no issue with the age of Briles.  He just needs to show in interviews that he has the leadership to lead players and a coaching staff.  Who he would bring in as assistant coaches would show a lot. 

• Upvote 1

The article refers to both Mike and Jay.

" I’m hearing the North Texas coaching search is progressing. A few of the names I’m told are in the mix: Baylor OC Kendal Briles, a 2006 grad of Houston; Arizona State OC Mike Norvell and James Madison coach Everett Withers. Another potential option for UNT is Texas play-caller Jay Norvell."

Well then...I stand corrected.

They updated it from when I read it, it was just the first three names this morning.

They must have updated that because it was only three names this morning.  I prefer Mike Norvell over Jay.  Jay is interesting, but man he is taking some major heat in Austin right now.  Jay was interested in the UNT job last time.  Honestly he has been passed over for a lot of head jobs.

Withers has a tremendous resume.  What he doesn't have is an offensive expertise and spent only one year coaching in Texas ... which are two big points RV has brought up.  I'd still take him if, as Harry has said, he has a good plan for recruiting and could hire a few coaches who do have Texas ties.  If he wants to bring his entire JMU coaching staff with him i would be concerned.

I have no issue with the age of Briles.  He just needs to show in interviews that he has the leadership to lead players and a coaching staff.  Who he would bring in as assistant coaches would show a lot. 

What appeals to me a lot about Withers is he passed on money to be a head coach.  Some of these guys who are coordinators may dip their feet in the water as a head coach but know in the back of their mind, they are young enough to go back to being an assistant if it doesn't work out.  Everything Withers has done in his career indicates it is not just about the money -- he wants to be a head coach at the highest level.

Well then...I stand corrected.

They updated it from when I read it, it was just the first three names this morning.

You read it correctly this morning. There are 2 separate links. Coaching Search Tracker quoted the Fox Sports article but just left out the Jay Norvell part in their tidbit.

Edited by Eagle-96

Nor do I.   If the HC is young and his coordinators are older, that's fine.  If he's a good leader, he'll lead, and everyone from 18-yr-old kids to 60-yr-old men will follow.

My only problem with Briles is he has only been around his dad, therefore, that's his only understanding of the game.

• Upvote 1

To be honest, I like Mike Norvell probably as much as the others due to the fact he is the right hand man under Todd Graham.  That basically means he can recruit his ass off and there will not be another coach that is more dedicated or works harder in the country.  Graham has his critics, but the man has succeeded at every place he has been. I have no doubt that Norvell would put together a fantastic staff and get this thing moving in the right direction quickly.

http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=207923333

yes. 

I have a significant other that works within the Baylor athletics department in the marketing side of things and the word on the street is that Briles plans on riding out the ship at Baylor until his father retires and steps aside. He has the funding and support from an entire town and community to keep on coaching there.

• Upvote 2

They must have updated that because it was only three names this morning.  I prefer Mike Norvell over Jay.  Jay is interesting, but man he is taking some major heat in Austin right now.  Jay was interested in the UNT job last time.  Honestly he has been passed over for a lot of head jobs.

Where have I heard that before...oh yeah, Benford. 

Sometimes there's good reason why a coach was passed over...

Probably just make it up, bc not many people care if he is wrong about reporting on the job opening. Not sure how Briles name got thrown out there. Multiple people have said that he isnt interested. 

Baylor people think Briles name will be thrown out a lot more for other jobs. They said there is no smoke to the report of his name being mentioned for UNT.

Who is saying he is not interested? 

I have a significant other that works within the Baylor athletics department in the marketing side of things and the word on the street is that Briles plans on riding out the ship at Baylor until his father retires and steps aside. He has the funding and support from an entire town and community to keep on coaching there.

Why would he want to leave? He's making a crap ton of money and has job security as long as Daddy is there.

• Upvote 2

I like the idea of getting a young coach. Tech is a good example. Briles gets my vote over Norvell. Big 12 recruiter of the year will know the recruiting trail much better than the other guys mentioned. If he's not interested then oh well. 

Edited by UNTexas

Baylor insiders. 

They don't want him to go, obviously.  I would say if we pay him a million plus a year to be a head coach at his age he would be crazy not to at least listen.

Art is a young 60.  He could be coaching in that job for another decade... Kendall is still a few years away from a big job like USC or somesuch. 

If the UNT gig did not work out he would still be young enough to head back to the assistant side and reinvent himself. 

Personally I think the issue is more does UNT want to hire a 33 year old and pay him more - by far - than they have ever paid any employee in the history of the university.