My Mind is Made Up on the New Coach: Garrett Riley

MeanGreen_MBA

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Let’s get him now; let him finish the season where he is at, and go win us a handful of those championships

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35198095/tcu-garrett-riley-wins-broyles-award-top-assistant

This seems like a downfall, he's focused on TCU. would he be able to recruit now. I'd like the hire overall

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

This seems like a downfall, he's focused on TCU. would he be able to recruit now. I'd like the hire overall

He could still be putting his staff together (short drives back and forth), and as an added bonus, UNT gets mentioned quite a bit on ESPN

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Riley would probably be the biggest gamble of the names that have been mentioned.  There is a lot of upside with him though.  He would bring immediate attention and name recognition to UNT, he is obviously a young, bright offensive mind, has worked for a great mentor (Dykes) and has a very successful mentor to lean on (his brother).  I think the biggest hurdle with him would be if we wants this job.  We would have to give him a hard sales pitch to get him to Denton but I think it could be done. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

First two are good comps... OC at Miami is no bueno

Yeah. He won the award while at Michigan and moved to Miami for some reason. But it goes to show the kind of interest these winners draw. 

Although, P5 OC vs G5 HC is debatable. 

Edited by Moobs
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Moobs said:

Yeah. He won the award while at Michigan and moved to Miami for some reason. But it goes to show the kind of interest these winners draw. 

Although, P5 OC vs G5 HC is debatable. 

I don't think you watched much Miami football this year

• Upvote 3

Like to see Gary Patterson. He’s been a HC, knows how to run a program, has taken the program to the next level from G5. Has recruited locally very well. Current salary with Texas is literally $150k. 
My biggest fear is we will hire a P5 OC with no or little Head Coaching experience and we’ll be right back in this same position. IMHO

• Upvote 3

I searched again this morning and this guys name is still showing up in a lot of articles not just for our job but with others.   If he learned how to run the DFW portal from Sonny we ought to interview him.  He also just won the Broyles award for best assistant in the country.  I am with @MeanGreen_MBA let's get him if he's available.

TCU offensive coordinator Garrett Riley is another name that has been mentioned in industry circles. Riley is, obviously, the younger brother of Lincoln Riley and the coordinator of a College Football Playoff-bound offense. Garrett, 33, is young, even by family standards. Though Lincoln was 33 when he took over Oklahoma, he had six years of coordinator experience, three of them at OU, when he took over a turn-key operation in Norman. Taking over a different program would be a different animal altogether. However, the way Sonny Dykes built SMU and, now, TCU should be a blue print for whoever takes over at North Texas, particularly in the way Dykes and company have aggressively targeted Metroplex natives in the transfer portal.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

• Coach Andy Mac changed the title to My Mind is Made Up on the New Coach: Garrett Riley
On 12/6/2022 at 8:13 PM, MeanGreen01 said:

Like to see Gary Patterson. He’s been a HC, knows how to run a program, has taken the program to the next level from G5. Has recruited locally very well. Current salary with Texas is literally $150k. 
My biggest fear is we will hire a P5 OC with no or little Head Coaching experience and we’ll be right back in this same position. IMHO

Would love Coach Gary as well.  Please say he is interested!

On 12/6/2022 at 8:13 PM, MeanGreen01 said:

Why would Gary Patterson want this job? If he wants to be a head coach again, I would think he could go to a major conference.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

same age lincoln was when he took over OU

"Though Lincoln was 33 when he took over Oklahoma, he had six years of coordinator experience, three of them at OU, when he took over a turn-key operation in Norman. Taking over a different program would be a different animal altogether."

• Upvote 1

On 12/6/2022 at 5:19 PM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Let’s get him now; let him finish the season where he is at, and go win us a handful of those championships

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35198095/tcu-garrett-riley-wins-broyles-award-top-assistant

Gets my vote too.