NT Daily Article: Attendance on the decline in 3 major sports

MGNation92

Actually, that statement is completely true. He also (at least in this quote) does not apply that directly to our situation.

I stand corrected. You are right, by itself.

But, in my head I was thinking that a) he was attributing it to our situation and therefore b) that what he already had stated in the article that everyone is leaving and that in and of itself is an indication that it is the representative view.

• Upvote 2

Mr. Villarreal, I would honestly like to know how your conscience allows you to flat out lie.  How do you sleep at night, knowing that people who once stood behind you are now calling for your removal.  How do you hold food down knowing that your coaching hires routinely fail, and you have gone back on your promises of scheduling.  How do you look yourself in the mirror knowing that you are taunting the most die hard fans this school has ever had?

AMEN! Better yet, how can you sit in a pew on Sunday?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What's the difference between a dude who's writing for college credits and a dude who writes for a paycheck?

I know not a lot of you know about the Daily, but pretty much everyone writes there for experience, as a volunteer. The Senior Staff and Editors get monthly paychecks. I think as a writer I was making $350-ish a month? I was writing 4 our 5 articles a week with a minimum of three sources per article and a budget (story idea) meeting weekly. That's a lot to be done in a short window of time on top of jobs that actually pay the bills and school. That was of course after a year and a half of writing for free.

You do not get credit, in most cases, for writing for the Daily. It isn't really part of a class. It's a student organization. So basically it is people learning and volunteering their time. Scott is doing an excellent job. However, understanding how the NT Daily runs may change your outlook on what those people do and degrading the effort they put in. Most of my friends in editorials grades suffered to enrich campus coverage. There are plenty of mistakes and learning opportunities. Just like the real world, the Daily operates as a public service.

Edit: Just realized you were saying there was no difference, @MeanGreenTexan I apologize. I retract directing this at you but will leave it as an educational tool.

Edited by Caw Caw

I didn't read Smatresk's comments the same way. It feels like he is saying what he has to. He didn't seem to have the same tone as RV, who seemed to write off the issues. I feel like he is not throwing RV under the bus, but hasn't openly supported him either. He is playing a political game here and I hope that we don't force his hand this weekend.

Yep.

He may be young, but he's not a kid. According to his bio on his website he's about 28 and has a Master in Music. Oh wait, now it makes sense. It's the musicians trying to destroy our university again.

He's a hell of a trombonist and has played on a few of my friends' records.

• Upvote 1

Just looking at the quotes and determining the hidden message -

“When seats start emptying out, I get worried,” UNT President Neal Smatresk said. “So I do want to see people engaged and in the seats.”
Prez noticed people are leaving and acknowledges that is bad. - Truth

“I don’t blame people for leaving after that kind of performance,” Smatresk said. “Would I like to see better and more? Yes. Do I hope good fans will find reason to be hopeful now? Yes I do. But those things will come in time, and there’s a timing for all the things that are happening here.”
Prez can't do what he wants to do right now because there is a "timing" for it. - Truth

“Do I worry about the decline? I think the decline happens at every institution when you don’t win as many games,” Villarreal said. “But I think there is a lot of positive talk about basketball right now.”
RV didn't answer the ? he asked of himself, but kind of acknowledged that if you stink attendance goes down. Followed that up with fiction - False

“You could count the 22 people in the stands. We’re not in that place anymore, not anywhere close,” Villarreal said. “Are we where we need to be? No. But that’s a culture that was built right around here for a long time. It doesn’t change overnight.”
I found this quote to be weird since the picture in the article allows you to count the number of people in the stands. Although he is right it's more than 22. Admitted we could do better. Then blamed it on a culture he has a responsibility to change. - False

“The reality is, it’s a minute few who are very loud,” Villarreal said. “If there was a concern of what was going on in the program right now, I don’t think people would be writing million dollar checks. I don’t think people would be buying club level seats and doing those things in season.”
I guess the first part is true, only a minute few are loud but only because only a minute few care. Not sure what a big check or someone buying a seat has to do with concern in the program. - False

Just because there’s a human cry, doesn’t mean that’s a truly representative view,” Smatresk said
Prez was doing so good until this quote - False

“Clearly we want more home games and more wins and big crowds because that’s just good business. It’s common sense,” Smatresk said. “But there’s another piece that is as important, or even more important. And that’s the engagement of our alumni and engagement of fans and people who are from the community who love to support this institution. It’s best when our athletic programs are being very successful, particularly with football and basketball.”
Prez recognizing that if the alums give up that is bad for business. - Truth

Overall Prez did pretty well and could be read that something is happening and he is concerned.

And RV is allergic to admitting things could be better.

An accurate synopsis.  I agree that the quote was probably "hue and cry" and the reporter probably misheard.

The most telling phrase was that "there is a timing for all things happening here" - he is obviously getting quite a few letters, emails and comments on the situation and I feel like this is a hat tip to those folks.  It was done with out overtly blurting out what some on here seem to want him to do with a parade and banners.

Hypothetical A.

Gather up necessary support from the 17 (which is in process, as the number is now lower) and other key folks. Then make a professional transition in 18 months or less.  Oversee the process for hiring a solid football coach making sure there is no botched snap. 24 months from now there is a new AD, and a new football coach. This accomplishes the end game that fans are clamoring for with out alienating key players or another buyout.

Hypothetical B.

Trash the AD publicly in the press and to individuals while burning political capital with large donors, regents and airing dirty laundry in public. Making the program and school look unprofessional to prospective AD candidates and future coaches.

I am not really for or against the banner & uproar. I view it in a similar light to the paddles handed out when tourists go white water rafting. They make you feel like you are doing something, while the path is already set by another force.  In this case I feel like this other force is moving things in the right direction if you look at things holistically.  That is not to say the common fan does not matter, they are clearly key to the success of this whole thing but allowing option A to happen instead of burning tickets and bridges makes sense in my mind.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

An accurate synopsis.  I agree that the quote was probably "hue and cry" and the reporter probably misheard.

The most telling phrase was that "there is a timing for all things happening here" - he is obviously getting quite a few letters, emails and comments on the situation and I feel like this is a hat tip to those folks.  It was done with out overtly blurting out what some on here seem to want him to do with a parade and banners.

Hypothetical A.

Gather up necessary support from the 17 (which is in process, as the number is now lower) and other key folks. Then make a professional transition in 18 months or less.  Oversee the process for hiring a solid football coach making sure there is no botched snap. 24 months from now there is a new AD, and a new football coach. This accomplishes the end game that fans are clamoring for with out alienating key players or another buyout.

Hypothetical B.

Trash the AD publicly in the press and to individuals while burning political capital with large donors, regents and airing dirty laundry in public. Making the program and school look unprofessional to prospective AD candidates and future coaches.

I am not really for or against the banner & uproar. I view it in a similar light to the paddles handed out when tourists go white water rafting. They make you feel like you are doing something, while the path is already set by another force.  In this case I feel like this other force is moving things in the right direction if you look at things holistically.  That is not to say the common fan does not matter, they are clearly key to the success of this whole thing but allowing option A to happen instead of burning tickets and bridges makes sense in my mind.

And I'll scratch you off the list of people with whom I would consider going on a river with.

• Upvote 4

I know not a lot of you know about the Daily, but pretty much everyone writes there for experience, as a volunteer. The Senior Staff and Editors get monthly paychecks. I think as a writer I was making $350-ish a month? I was writing 4 our 5 articles a week with a minimum of three sources per article and a budget (story idea) meeting weekly. That's a lot to be done in a short window of time on top of jobs that actually pay the bills and school. That was of course after a year and a half of writing for free.

You do not get credit, in most cases, for writing for the Daily. It isn't really part of a class. It's a student organization. So basically it is people learning and volunteering their time. Scott is doing an excellent job. However, understanding how the NT Daily runs may change your outlook on what those people do and degrading the effort they put in. Most of my friends in editorials grades suffered to enrich campus coverage. There are plenty of mistakes and learning opportunities. Just like the real world, the Daily operates as a public service.

Edit: Just realized you were saying there was no difference, @MeanGreenTexan I apologize. I retract directing this at you but will leave it as an educational tool.

Huh?

I appreciate the NTDaily and Mr. Sidway, for sure, but all of those things you were saying point out the difference I was trying to highlight.  

Mr. Vito's articles keep a roof over his head & food on his family's table.  Mr. Sidway's articles are 'learning and volunteering'.  Does this mean Mr. Sidway isn't putting in a ton of effort?  Absolutley not!   Does it mean he doesn't have as much to lose?   Absolutely.   Mr. Sidway can write whatever he wants and be a tough journalist without worrying about his livelihood.  Mr. Vito does not have that luxury, lest he not only lose his parking pass, but gets locked out of the Athletics Center altogether and loses access to information that keeps his articles coming... in turn, keeping his paychecks coming.

• Upvote 2

Let the damage continue, RV. After all, you'll just continue to claim credit for successes (i.e. facilities) that you know very well were a university-wide comprehensive effort, not an individual effort. How about all the broken promises? Where's the accountability? Very sad to see something with real potential being killed. 

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 2

Hypothetical A.

Hypothetical B.

Well that is now exactly what RV has said twice. Once on Harry's podcast and again in this NT Daily article - "minute" 

If bridges are being burnt, look no further than RV. He'll be the guy holding the can of gasoline when it's all said and done. 

• Upvote 3

“The reality is, it’s a minute few who are very loud,” Villarreal said. “If there was a concern of what was going on in the program right now, I don’t think people would be writing million dollar checks. I don’t think people would be buying club level seats and doing those things in season.”  - RV

Let's be honest here... RV can't label half or probably more then half of the Mean Green Club donors as the "Minute Few" when we clearly outnumber the three people that wrote million dollar checks! Also those 3 people that wrote the million dollar checks handed them over at halftime of the Portland State game, before this athletic department hit rock bottom.

“Just because there’s a human cry, doesn’t mean that’s a truly representative view,” Smatresk said. - Neal Smatresk

Apparently our voice isn't loud enough to register with Smatresk. I'll say it again, RV won't be forced out until the student section joins us in this rebellion.

The message I took away from Smatresk and RV is that they think the dozen or so "Minute Few" big money donors are far more important then the hundreds of average donors that make up a majority of our season ticket holders.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I am done. I will NOT be renewing my season tickets. RV IS FULL OF BS! IT IS TRULY UNBELIEVABLE. UNT WILL NEVER TAKE ATHLETICS SERIOUSLY.  I have tried to give away my season tickets with the parking pass and NOT ONE of the people I talked to would take them! WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT YOU AND YOUR PRODUCTS??!?!? YOU'RE A BOOB!

• Upvote 4

When asked about the declining basketball numbers, Villarreal pointed to a sinking national average in basketball attendance. But an NCAA report shows last season’s national totals were actually higher than the previous season and was also the eighth highest attendance total in NCAA history.

I'm glad The Daily did fact-checking on this claim by RV. The press should check everything he says to defend his dismal record as AD.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

CUSA Attendance 2014

1.       UTEP                     8,088

2.       Old Dominion    5,778

3.       Charlotte             5,111

4.       W. Kentucky      4,715

5.       Marshall               4,713

6.       MUTS                    4,465

7.       S. Miss                  4,408

8.       UAB                       4,304

9.       La. Tech                4,186

10.   N. Texas               2,453

11.   Rice                        1,624

12.   Fl. Intl                    1,474

13.   Fl. Atlantic           1,346

14.   UTSA                        937

Conference Average with UNT not included: 3,988

Throw out Outliers of UTEP & UTSA : 3,829

UNT Attendance before Benford: 4,006

Attendance Drop: 38.77%

• Upvote 2

Hypothetical A.

Hypothetical B.

No, the banners are to make sure he does it. He wasn't even asked about it until the banner became public knowledge. Scott Sidway wouldn't have examined RV's legacy and got a 2 hour (TWO HOUR!!!) justify my job interview with RV without the banner' becoming public knowledge.

What the "Vocal minority" has done with the banner is raise RV's job performance issues in forums and with people who have no idea GMG.com even exists. 

So, poke fun all you want, but the dialog, whatever it may be, isn't happening without that banner. 

I suspect the dialog to do nothing but increase after Saturday. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

RV is now a liar on top of a bad athletic director who can't schedule, hire, or keep his promises. Numbers don't lie. I won't be going to anymore UNT football or basketball games until he's gone. He openly hates this fanbase. That's us y'all. He has zero respect for the students, alumni, student athletes, fans, and the community. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 3

It looks to me like if el presidente really cares, he has a lot to learn.  I understood his comment about engagement to mean that if we do not stay engaged then the situation will not improve.  The problem is that they have not engaged with enough people, only a tiny fraction. They have leaned on a handful of us over the years. Unless he wants to preside over a UAB-type disaster, he better take initiative. But it seems like he has bought into the idea that it is us who should be taking initiative. It does not work that way.

I do not hear anywhere in that pile of crap that 'The University of North Texas will not tolerate this problem and will fix it.'  For me, the University of North Texas is turning into one escalating gigantic disappointment. Great job!

Those #%^*& administrators need to take responsibility. Yet that garbage content they spewed out there has NO responsibility. Absolutely sickening! Puke!

• Upvote 4