Mark Mangino Meeting with UNT?

Ryan Munthe

Interesting note from his Wiki page:

Following the win against the Iowa State Cyclones, Mark Mangino became the first KU football coach with a winning career record since Jack Mitchell in 1966. While at Kansas, Mangino led the Jayhawks to 19 consecutive weeks ranked in the AP and/or USA Today polls (2007–08), 20 wins in a 2-year period for the first time in school history, set home attendance average records in each of the last 4 seasons (2004–2008), led KU to its first appearance in national polls since 1996 and to the school’s highest ranking ever at #2, produced the top 3 total offense seasons in school history, the top two passing seasons and two of the top three scoring seasons and won three Bowl games—the same number they had won in their 102-year history combined prior to his arrival.

With 50 victories, Mangino has the second-most victories in Kansas coaching history.

• Upvote 3

I don't hate this, not sure I love it or even like it either. He did get a terrible Kansas program to a 12 win season...of course Mac got us to a bowl game. "Blind squirrel" situation? 

He does fit the bill of the type of coach I want though. Good evaluator, decent recruiter. This is the type of guy that can come in and build a foundation for the next few years to make our program attractive to the young up and comers like Briles and Cumbie. Of course that's what I thought about Mac so there's that. 

• Upvote 1

He isn't doing too well at ISU right now either.  

This wouldn't be a good hire if that was legitimate.   

He had 3 above .500 seasons in 8 years... Even though it is Kansas... I still am not impressed.

Also, we would have to buy him 2 airplane seats for each of our away games... we can't afford that on UNT's budget. 

He also won more bowl games in his 8 seasons at KU than UNT has won all time. 

• Upvote 3

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/cyclone-insider/2015/10/26/assistant-todd-sturdy-replaces-mark-mangino-iowa-state-offensive-coordinator/74628056/

Not even ISU wants him anymore....  Not every day you let go of a position coach/OC mid-season.

he is certainly UNT material. 

rkXNems5uxExG.gif

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 2

What NCAA violations are on his record?

He was personally cleared, in that they were found to have been done without his knowledge.  Roy Williams didn't come out quite so rosy for basketball violations at KU that happened around the same time.  That said, he was the head coach, and it speaks against his ability to run a tight ship.

So at least he can maybe recruit a QB?

I wouldn't mind bringing in another Todd Reesing.

• Upvote 2

I don't see a reason for all the opposition. The guy is available today and he has a career winning record(Mac didn't have that). He is a Broyles award winner and won many coach of the year awards for his 12-1 Orange Bowl winning season at FREAKING KANSAS!!

Also, the below....I've underlined and bolded the important points. He is not anything like McCarney when it comes to offense.

Following the win against the Iowa State Cyclones, Mark Mangino became the first KU football coach with a winning career record since Jack Mitchell in 1966. While at Kansas, Mangino led the Jayhawks to 19 consecutive weeks ranked in the AP and/or USA Today polls (2007–08), 20 wins in a 2-year period for the first time in school history, set home attendance average records in each of the last 4 seasons (2004–2008), led KU to its first appearance in national polls since 1996 and to the school’s highest ranking ever at #2, produced the top 3 total offense seasons in school history, the top two passing seasons and two of the top three scoring seasons and won three Bowl games—the same number they had won in their 102-year history combined prior to his arrival.

With 50 victories, Mangino has the second-most victories in Kansas coaching history.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

That's not saying much. If we are going to get a retread, it needs to be someone who has done far more than Mangino... who couldn't even hold a job at ISU.

Paul Rhoads is doing everything he can right now to save his own neck.  

The ISU offense under Mangino is ranked 59th in the nation by ESPN.  That puts them ahead of Florida St (60), Marshall (64), West Virginia (67),Texas A&M (69), and UNT (111).  If there is any truth to the DFW sports wire tweet that he is our #1 targert then you need to also acknowledge that they say he was let go because Rhoads didn't  want him interviewing for our job. 

He wouldn't be my #1 choice for a coach, but all I'm saying is we could do way worse.  What retread would you rather have?     

• Upvote 4

He was personally cleared, in that they were found to have been done without his knowledge.  Roy Williams didn't come out quite so rosy for basketball violations at KU that happened around the same time.  That said, he was the head coach, and it speaks against his ability to run a tight ship.

I wouldn't mind bringing in another Todd Reesing.

If I understand correctly, if that was to happen all over again, the coach would still be held responsible because now it is that a head coach is responsible for any NCAA violation that happens under their watch. 

I don't see a reason for all the opposition. The guy is available today and he has a career winning record(Mac didn't have that). He is a Broyles award winner and won many coach of the year awards for his 12-1 Orange Bowl winning season at FREAKING KANSAS!!

Also, the below....I've underlined and bolded the important points. He is not anything like McCarney when it comes to offense.

Following the win against the Iowa State Cyclones, Mark Mangino became the first KU football coach with a winning career record since Jack Mitchell in 1966. While at Kansas, Mangino led the Jayhawks to 19 consecutive weeks ranked in the AP and/or USA Today polls (2007–08), 20 wins in a 2-year period for the first time in school history, set home attendance average records in each of the last 4 seasons (2004–2008), led KU to its first appearance in national polls since 1996 and to the school’s highest ranking ever at #2, produced the top 3 total offense seasons in school history, the top two passing seasons and two of the top three scoring seasons and won three Bowl games—the same number they had won in their 102-year history combined prior to his arrival.

Does he excite the fanbase? No

Will he put energy back into the program? No

Will he be able to relate with the new age of recruits? No

What you did at Kansas is all well and good. I agree he would be a better hire then Mac. However, I cant see how he is what our program needs. None of these kids now will remember what he did at Kansas nor will they care.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Not crazy about Mangino.  But...

...he did do a hell of a job at Kansas, taking them to a BCS bowl and beating Virginia Tech there.  His star player at Kansas was Aqib Talib from Richardson Berkner.  Talib is still starring in the NFL with with Denver Broncos.

Eight seasons at Kansas, four bowl, three bowl wins, one Top 10 finish in the polls.  50-48 record overall at KU.  One of only two coaches to win 50 or more games as Jayhawk head coach.  First Jayhawk coach to finish career above .500 since Jules V. Sikes, 1948-1953...yeah, KU has seen many, many bad football seasons.

Recruited Texas and the region for K-State, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa State.  Coached many players from those schools to the NFL.  Can't really argue with the results.  However...

...Mangino won't play well to lazy players, though.  So, that would be a problem here.  We have fans that defend the lazy.  The thing that got Mangino in trouble at KU was that he'd make it personal:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4669621

But...some people here claim they could have stomached Jim Leavitt's act.  If you can stomach Leavitt punching a kid in the mouth, you could probably deal with Mangino cussing kids and telling them they'd be back in the ghetto with their homies if they don't work harder.  Comes as no surprise that Leavitt and Mangino coached together at K-State, eh?  (Mangino at K-State, 1991-1998; Leavitt, 1990-1995)

One thing's for sure if we get Mangino - he won't brook QBs who don't watch game film coming into his office and screaming at him about playing time.

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Does he excite the fanbase? No

Will he put energy back into the program? No

Will he be able to relate with the new age of recruits? No

What you did at Kansas is all well and good. I agree he would be a better hire then Mac. However, I cant see how he is what our program needs. None of these kids now will remember what he did at Kansas nor will they care.

Exactly