Vito update on UNT Coaching Search

Harry

I think what I want to see is aggressiveness.  I want to see aggressive recruiting.  I want to see the next coaching staff at every damn high school within a 100 mile radius every freaking week.  I want to see aggressive play.  I want to see attempts to win the game, score the touchdown, stop the opposition's offense.  I want to see dynamic plays, hard hitting, football.  I don't want to see bull headedness. I don't want to see "a plan." I don't want to see staying the course, outcomes be damned.  

The new coach can be young, old, FCS, FBS, P5, G5, or NAIA for all I care.  I just want to see him come here and work his ass off to make this place succeed, UNT's history and culture of apathy be damned.

• Upvote 4

I think what I want to see is aggressiveness.  I want to see aggressive recruiting.  I want to see the next coaching staff at every damn high school within a 100 mile radius every freaking week.  I want to see aggressive play.  I want to see attempts to win the game, score the touchdown, stop the opposition's offense.  I want to see dynamic plays, hard hitting, football.  I don't want to see bull headedness. I don't want to see "a plan." I don't want to see staying the course, outcomes be damned.  

The new coach can be young, old, FCS, FBS, P5, G5, or NAIA for all I care.  I just want to see him come here and work his ass off to make this place succeed, UNT's history and culture of apathy be damned.

And if the "powers that be" are never going to acknowledge our cultural problems, and take steps to cure that problem, then your coach's personality profile is right on target. Hell, even if we do change the culture........ 

Do you think Mac had anything to do with QB recruiting? At all? 

You mean other than Mini-Mac?

• Upvote 1

And if the "powers that be" are never going to acknowledge our cultural problems, and take steps to cure that problem, then your coach's personality profile is right on target. Hell, even if we do change the culture........ 

You mean other than Mini-Mac?

And look how many were given chances? Dajon can't even play QB at a lower division school, yet he started 3 games at UNT ahead of Mini Mac. 

DS hasn't shown the ability to complete half his passes, just like Mini Mac.

Means has yet to sniff the field. Greer was completely Canales's kid and is probably the worst QB on the roster. And remember, he was given a shot before Mini Mac. 

So just because DMac finally went with his boy probably is even more of an indictment of Canales's inability to recognize or develop talent, or both. 

Edited by UNT90

Todd Dodge coached the QB/WR's at North Texas in 92-93. 

He had college coaching experience, and since it was at North Texas he should have remembered that the biggest challenge of coaching at North Texas was recruiting players to our culture.

Considering 5 or 6 or them thrived to the point they made it into an NFL camp and 4 of them onto an NFL roster I'd say he succeeded in that.  All while being told he couldn't bring possibly the best recruiter we've had here in years onto his staff in Kenny Evans.  

Kenny wanted to stay here..he had personal reasons to do so..would have helped Dodge' inexperienced DC make the transition and would have busted his ass recruiting for us in order to stay close to family.   Rick told Todd no but Todd continued to ask to convince him otherwise.  By the time Rick changed his mind it was too late because Kenny had already signed and committed to Dooley at La Tech.

That IMO, as well as allowing Dodge to bring in such an inexperienced staff was a monumental mistake by our athletic director that killed Dodge's career here before it ever got started.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Yes I have taken risk in life, as have most of us, but what does that have to do with the price of poker? Todd Dodge was a risk R.V. took. However, there is no margin for error in this hire. In a perfect world I would want a former Texas high school coach from the metroplex who has been a successful college head coach.I also would want to be 20 years younger, 25 pounds lighter,and have as much money as my ex wife thinks that I have.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know where Brett Vito got the idea that a committee was in the works, but that was never going to happen. R.V. stepped outside the box when he hired Dodge, which blew up in his face. Danny Mac was a safe hire, that fell apart quicker than the fall of Siagon. This next hire must be spot on. Personally I think coach Chico has earned a shot over any other assistant coach from other programs that might be under consideration The question is can R.V. afford to take the chance on anyone other that a proven head coach with strong Texas ties. Personally I think not

Are you serious? What makes you think he's earned anything? He's been here for a shit ton of losing football.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Art Briles was the Texas Tech running back coach from 2000-2003 prior to being hired as the Head Coach at Houston in 2003.  He was never an Asst. Head Coach. He and Jinks have very similar backgrounds.  He is certainly a Coach that should be considered. Also, Briles had no College coaching experience before going to Tech.

What the person fails to recognize is the challenges at UNT compared to Houston.  Houston had history in the SWC and a Heisman Trophy winner before Art Briles arrived.  Houston also finish 5 seasons between 1979 and 1990 ranked in the top 25.  Can you recall when the last time North Texas finish a season ranked in the top 25?  What do you have to sell recruits coming to UNT?  Facilities that are just on par with our rivals?  A very nice campus?   Playing against local rivals recruits have heard of?  We don't don't play any Big 12 South teams for the next 8 years or more.    Luckily we do play SMU but if they get their act together they will be kicking our teeth in.  We do play Texas A&M in 2020 but that is so far away a coach could use that game for recruiting unit the 2017 recruiting season.  We have virtually no history of team success since Haden Frye.  Since 1960 UNT has 14 winning FBS level seasons.  So if you are expected similar performance from Jinks here you need to lower your expectations.  He maybe a good hire but getting this program to be a mediocre CUSA team will be an accomplishment.  We have a losing record against 10 out 12 CUSA schools.

Yes I have taken risk in life, as have most of us, but what does that have to do with the price of poker? Todd Dodge was a risk R.V. took. However, there is no margin for error in this hire. In a perfect world I would want a former Texas high school coach from the metroplex who has been a successful college head coach.I also would want to be 20 years younger, 25 pounds lighter,and have as much money as my ex wife thinks that I have.

Todd Dodge was cheap. Make no mistake about it.

Just to get it out there now, I have absolutely NO interest in the OC from A&M. 2nd five start QB that has melted down midseason for them in back to back years, there reports that their other 5 star FR QB didn't get to play because of him yelling at the A&M OC, and it seems that their system is predicated on superior line play, not plug and play, HUNH OL philosophies.

Would prefer someone from the Briles or even a different direction from the Leach tree before Spavital and his overlap with Sumlin's philopshies.

He had college coaching experience, and since it was at North Texas he should have remembered that the biggest challenge of coaching at North Texas was recruiting players to our culture.

Recruiting was not Dodge's problem.

Dodge had been our QB/WR coach over a decade before he was our head coach. Jinks is the currently at Texas Tech. Also, Dodge took over an already very successful HS program at Carroll. Steele wasn't a doormat, but they weren't nearly at the Carroll level when he took over and built a state champion. Jinks is more at the level Briles was when he got the Houston job. 

Jinks would be an excellent choice if we could get him. I think he's more attainable than Briles Jr or Major Applewhite. 

• Upvote 1

Dodge had been our QB/WR coach over a decade before he was our head coach. Jinks is the currently at Texas Tech. Also, Dodge took over an already very successful HS program at Carroll. Steele wasn't a doormat, but they weren't nearly at the Carroll level when he took over and built a state champion. Jinks is more at the level Briles was when he got the Houston job. 

Jinks would be an excellent choice if we could get him. I think he's more attainable than Briles Jr or Major Applewhite. 

Well, he sounds real impressive. It looked like he built a great program from the beginning. Sometimes I wish we were a new program. Every coach that comes here has to recruit with our baggage on his back. And it's never of his own doing.

Colby Carthel has recruited 20 kids that went to the NFL in 15 years.  This information came from him.  All these recruits have been on the D 2 level. He is a program builder, a proven winner and his father was a college coach in Texas.  He has contacts at every level of Texas. He is a young proven winner and can turn this program around.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Colby Carthel has recruited 20 kids that went to the NFL in 15 years.  This information came from him.  All these recruits have been on the D 2 level. He is a program builder, a proven winner and his father was a college coach in Texas.  He has contacts at every level of Texas. He is a young proven winner and can turn this program around.

Makes way too much sense....so you can flush that idea down the canal-es.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think our #1 choice right now is Willie Fritz, but I don't think we'll end up landing him.  The more I think of it the more I like Carthel.  Yes he is probably a little too young for most people's tastes but he looks like a guy who can find hidden talent and then get them to sign with him.  I've always said that seasons are won and lost in during recruiting.  

• Upvote 2