Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Kendal Briles -- North Texas Head Coaching Candidate

Recommended Posts

Briles is one of the brightest young minds in the game. He will be a HC very soon. Could be Houston. I wouldn't be opposed. Look how different FAU looks without him. Look how much Houston has improved with him. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He does have a good football background, but the Baylor fans I know didn’t like him. They say he acted like a punk on the sideline on numerous occasions, especially when the game wasn’t going their way. That could be due to having daddy as HFC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way Smatresk allows a Briles to coach. The whole staff/family failed Baylor (along with many others). It's a reputation hit we don't need to take when everything is going so positive on the academic and athletic front. With what we are doing on the field and with facilities and budgets, we can get a really great coach without this kind of reputation hit. I don't know how Wren would handle but it's doubtful a President would hire a Briles as HC. With what we are paying, we could probably hire Skip Holtz or Bill Clark who have both proven to be highly successful in CUSA.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think IF SL leaves, baby Briles would be a great hire! He'll be 3 stops since Baylor too so there's some distance from that dumpster fire they had going.

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meangreenJW said:

No way Smatresk allows a Briles to coach. The whole staff/family failed Baylor (along with many others). It's a reputation hit we don't need to take when everything is going so positive on the academic and athletic front. With what we are doing on the field and with facilities and budgets, we can get a really great coach without this kind of reputation hit. I don't know how Wren would handle but it's doubtful a President would hire a Briles as HC. With what we are paying, we could probably hire Skip Holtz or Bill Clark who have both proven to be highly successful in CUSA.

Respectfully, in my mind, Clark or Holtz would be a downgrade from Littrell. I’d rather have Colby Carthel or someone else on the rise. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Respectfully, in my mind, Clark or Holtz would be a downgrade from Littrell. I’d rather have Colby Carthel or someone else on the rise. 

Cumbie TCU would be a better hire!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Cumbie TCU would be a better hire!

Have you seen TCU this year? Some would’ve said the same about his co-coordinator Doug Meacham when we hired Littrell but he has already been fired as OC at Kansas. You have to be dreadful to be fired at KU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Briles is one of the brightest young minds in the game. He will be a HC very soon. Could be Houston. I wouldn't be opposed. Look how different FAU looks without him. Look how much Houston has improved with him. 

No amount of wins will ever justify someone who facilitates rape culture.

20 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Not even a conversation to be having now, IMO.

Agreed.

  • Upvote 3
  • Ray 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Respectfully, in my mind, Clark or Holtz would be a downgrade from Littrell. I’d rather have Colby Carthel or someone else on the rise. 

Uh, I guess one could argue your point on Clark or Holtz (although Skip 58-27 in CUSA games and has won 4 straight bowl games and Clark has done almost unbelievable things at UAB). But respectfully, there is a 0.0% chance we would hire someone who's experience includes only D2 experience.  That's virtually unheard of. If Carthel wants to be a head coach in FBS, he's at least 2 moves away. He might be able to get and FCS job but that wouldn't be guaranteed. I think ACU hired a D2 coach. But ACU had just become FCS and hired a coach who won 3 straight D2 national championships. 

Incarnate Word is hardly a premier FCS program and they hired a Big 12 coordinator. D2 to FBS probably wouldn't happen anywhere. But I doubt UNT would ever do something like that after how badly the Todd Dodge experiment went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Uh, I guess one could argue your point on Clark or Holtz (although Skip 58-27 in CUSA games and has won 4 straight bowl games and Clark has done almost unbelievable things at UAB). But respectfully, there is a 0.0% chance we would hire someone who's experience includes only D2 experience.  That's virtually unheard of. If Carthel wants to be a head coach in FBS, he's at least 2 moves away. He might be able to get and FCS job but that wouldn't be guaranteed. I think ACU hired a D2 coach. But ACU had just become FCS and hired a coach who won 3 straight D2 national championships. 

Incarnate Word is hardly a premier FCS program and they hired a Big 12 coordinator. D2 to FBS probably wouldn't happen anywhere. But I doubt UNT would ever do something like that after how badly the Todd Dodge experiment went.

Clark has done unbelievable things at UAB because of their special transfer rules. They will be middle of the pack at best within 2-3 years. Skip will never be more than a CUSA coach. We need a coach on his way up like Littrell was. Carthel only came to mind because of his recent national championship and that he wants to coach us but I see your point. I’d be ok with a Kendal Brilea type guy if he didn’t come with the Briles baggage. He and Art are phenomenal football coaches but it would take a really bold athletic director to face down the firestorm that would come with hiring either of those two. If you had an Al Davis “just win baby” type AD, either Briles would surely bring the W’s but at what cost.

if I were at a place like Texas State, I’d hire Art Briles in a heartbeat. What do they have to lose? Sure you’d get negative attention for about a week and then another week when the season began but 3 years later when you are winning the Sun Belt every year most wouldn’t care anymore. I’d bet almost anything that if Briles were allowed to coach again, his program would probably be one of the cleanest in the nation for no other reason than that he had seen what it was like to lose your entire career over ignorance or looking the other way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

No amount of wins will ever justify someone who facilitates rape culture.

I understand your point. But since there was zero evidence he was apart of anything. Beside him asking a recruit do you like white women 🤣🤣 I am not saying he is my first choice. Just saying the briles version of leachs air raid I believe is the best. My top choices are Skip Holtz, Eric Morris or Colby Carthel. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I understand your point. But since there was zero evidence he was apart of anything. Beside him asking a recruit do you like white women 🤣🤣 I am not saying he is my first choice. Just saying the briles version of leachs air raid I believe is the best. My top choices are Skip Holtz, Eric Morris or Colby Carthel. 

I like the Eric Morris or even Colby Carthel, but I don't like skip holtz. i know he has been very successful with La Tech but he doesn't seem like the guy to take us to the  next level. SL took us up to some national exposure. The next guy I want to put us in the national spotlight. 

  • Like 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of those transfer rules, did anyone see that Uab started a 21 year old freshman last night at qb. 

He's going to be very good, and 25 his senior year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

No amount of wins will ever justify someone who facilitates rape culture.

Agreed.

Wow. You are occasionally right but today you are dead on, nailed the bullseye, 100% correct. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Speaking of those transfer rules, did anyone see that Uab started a 21 year old freshman last night at qb. 

He's going to be very good, and 25 his senior year. 

Reminds me of Weinke.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I understand your point. But since there was zero evidence he was apart of anything. Beside him asking a recruit do you like white women 🤣🤣 I am not saying he is my first choice. Just saying the briles version of leachs air raid I believe is the best. My top choices are Skip Holtz, Eric Morris or Colby Carthel. 

Carthel not ready.  Period. 
Skip not going to move laterally (is he?).   
I'd like to see Morris continue his upward trend with IW & then sustain before giving him a chance... but we may not have enough time to see it, so it would be a dice roll.
I still think NT pays enough to lure an "on-the-rise" P5 coordinator.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Carthel not ready.  Period. 
Skip not going to move laterally (is he?).   
I'd like to see Morris continue his upward trend with IW & then sustain before giving him a chance... but we may not have enough time to see it, so it would be a dice roll.
I still think NT pays enough to lure an "on-the-rise" P5 coordinator.

I'm late to looking at this thread, but are we expecting SL to leave or is this "in case" he does?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

I'm late to looking at this thread, but are we expecting SL to leave or is this "in case" he does?

He hired a new agent just recently; has been mentioned as a possibility at KU, K-State and Louisville and I am sure many more to come.  It’s probably an in case discussion but relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, greenminer said:

Reminds me of Weinke.

Aune is our freshman and he is how old?  I know he is the exception around here spand not the rule.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By SAGreenFan
      https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/949688602778365953 
    • By Harry
      Neal Smatresk, president of the University of North Texas, hit two pedestrians with his Toyota Highlander on the night of Thursday, Dec. 10, according to a police report obtained by the Denton Record-Chronicle.
      The Denton Fire Department took both pedestrians to Denton Regional Medical Center. Police allowed Smatresk to leave the scene in his vehicle. Neither he nor the pedestrians were charged with a traffic violation.
      The accident happened as Smatresk was leaving a shopping center at 1776 Teasley Lane at 9:19 p.m., according to the report. He was alone in the car. The intersection is two blocks south of Teasley’s intersection with South Interstate 35E.
      Smatresk, 64, was turning left onto Teasley after the light turned green at the shopping center’s private driveway. As he made the turn, he hit the two pedestrians as they were crossing Teasley Lane, the police report states.
      read more:  http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20151222-smatresk-involved-in-accident.ece
       
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

  • Images



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.