Kendal Briles -- North Texas Head Coaching Candidate

Harry

Does Carthel have enough experience with various programs to know and bring in people who can be FBS Coordinators and Assistants? A Head Coach at in an FBS program must have a team of Coordinators and Assistants as the HC can't possibly do everything. There has to be a LOT of delegation at this level and micromanagers can't sustain success. That's my biggest worry about someone who hasn't worked at larger programs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

12 hours ago, p_phelps said:

I'm late to looking at this thread, but are we expecting SL to leave or is this "in case" he does?

Yes.   This thread is very old... but with how Briles has been doing at FAU & Houston, he's still garnering interest from the "what if", & "mentally prepare yourself" folks around here.   With a last name of Briles though, I'm afraid his opportunity for a HC job will not be in the state of Texas though.  Just too much stench.

8 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Carthel not ready????? He has been a head coach for 6 years. He has more national championships than losing seasons... I would sign him up in a heart beat. He has also proved at commerce he wants to build something and won't jump at the first pay raise...

I don't care what he's doing at DII.   Let a FCS school pick him up & keep up his climb.  Or maybe he could be considered for a D-coordinator role at an FBS school (maybe even here?).  But honestly, DII is only just barely above High School level, and we've already tried getting the best HS coach in TX to jump straight to FBS football & it ended spectacularly bad.  We're not cash strapped anymore, we don't need this kind of gamble.

We are SERIOUS now!

We're not looking for diamonds in the rough anymore.   We're looking for polished, 5-carat VVS P5 coordinators, or solid re-treads.  There are plenty to be had who would love to take this job.

I would take Lil' Briles over Carthel if those were my only 2 options right now.   I'd take Morris at IW over both, honestly, but I KNOW we can do better than both.

• Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

52 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yes.   This thread is very old... but with how Briles has been doing at FAU & Houston, he's still garnering interest from the "what if", & "mentally prepare yourself" folks around here.   With a last name of Briles though, I'm afraid his opportunity for a HC job will not be in the state of Texas though.  Just too much stench.

I don't care what he's doing at DII.   Let a FCS school pick him up & keep up his climb.  Or maybe he could be considered for a D-coordinator role at an FBS school (maybe even here?).  But honestly, DII is only just barely above High School level, and we've already tried getting the best HS coach in TX to jump straight to FBS football & it ended spectacularly bad.  We're not cash strapped anymore, we don't need this kind of gamble.

We are SERIOUS now!

We're not looking for diamonds in the rough anymore.   We're looking for polished, 5-carat VVS P5 coordinators, or solid re-treads.  There are plenty to be had who would love to take this job.

I would take Lil' Briles over Carthel if those were my only 2 options right now.   I'd take Morris at IW over both, honestly, but I KNOW we can do better than both.

I am not arguing I understand your points. Not being a smart ass or trying to pick a fight. Just asking an honest question. You say we can do better than Eric Morris. What are some of those names I am just curious. I have some other names as well. Just seeing if they match up.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I am not arguing I understand your points. Not being a smart ass or trying to pick a fight. Just asking an honest question. You say we can do better than Eric Morris. What are some of those names I am just curious. I have some other names as well. Just seeing if they match up.

If NT is serious about paying $2mil/yr or more, not just for Littrell, then I think Mike Yurich is an option (especially with Baker's ties to OKSt.).  $2mil/yr would quadruple his salary.

Tony Elliott at Clemson is a hot name.  He may consider taking on a HC opportunity at a team that is set up to succeed at the G5 level so he can make his next jump too... although he may get a shot at a bottom-tier ACC team too.   $2mil/yr would more than double his current salary.
UT's OC Tim Beck has ties in the metroplex & is a great pass-game coach.

I really think, with the way high school football in Texas works, we need to keep a spread-type offensive coach as HC.
So in that vein, we could also look at what Spavital is doing at WVU, or Chip Lindsey learning under Malzahn. Beau Baldwin (Eastern Washington HC experience, now OC at UCLA under Chip Kelly)...  These are the kinds of guys I really think we could land with $2mil/yr.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If NT is serious about paying $2mil/yr or more, not just for Littrell, then I think Mike Yurich is an option (especially with Baker's ties to OKSt.).  $2mil/yr would quadruple his salary.

Tony Elliott at Clemson is a hot name.  He may consider taking on a HC opportunity at a team that is set up to succeed at the G5 level so he can make his next jump too... although he may get a shot at a bottom-tier ACC team too.   $2mil/yr would more than double his current salary.
UT's OC Tim Beck has ties in the metroplex & is a great pass-game coach.

I really think, with the way high school football in Texas works, we need to keep a spread-type offensive coach as HC.
So in that vein, we could also look at what Spavital is doing at WVU, or Chip Lindsey learning under Malzahn. Beau Baldwin (Eastern Washington HC experience, now OC at UCLA under Chip Kelly)...  These are the kinds of guys I really think we could land with $2mil/yr.

I think regional recruiting tie ins is important at the G5 level. I will go back to Cumbie at TCU. He is now making $700,000k and it wasn't that long ago he turned down the OC at Texas. You would not need to pay $2m to get a top OC DC out of a P5.

8 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I think regional recruiting tie ins is important at the G5 level. I will go back to Cumbie at TCU. He is now making $700,000k and it wasn't that long ago he turned down the OC at Texas. You would not need to pay $2m to get a top OC DC out of a P5.

What's happening with TCU's offense this season is quite alarming though:   19pts/gm!!  And we're talking against such defensive stalwarts as  IASt., Kansas, & KSSt.

4 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

https://olemisssports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=250

Another name I've seen pop up is Phil Longo, the OC at Ole Miss.

I don't know anything about him but his offenses at Sam Houston were amazing. 

Ole Miss is averaging 550 yards and 40 points per game this year...

He's making $600K

Absolutely.  Great call.   I'm sure he'd love to get back to TX as a HC.

• Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

What's happening with TCU's offense this season is quite alarming though:   19pts/gm!!  And we're talking against such defensive stalwarts as  IASt., Kansas, & KSSt.

Understand, but look at the last 5/7 years. Injuries have been horrific this year. 

Sonny Cumbie, no. Tim Beck, no. These two aren’t having stellar seasons. Cumbie is having a down year with the Desoto freshman at QB. Beck is not a true OC, he was hired for his recruiting prowess (see Frank Winters). Let there be no confusion, Tom Herman is in full control of the Texas offense.

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2018 at 7:36 PM, Christopher Walker said:

No amount of wins will ever justify someone who facilitates rape culture.

Agreed.

No to Briles. Period. I don't care about how many wins he can line up because his character is in question. That whole scandal at Baylor is disgusting and that's before you factor in the level of cover-up. I'll take a losing program that's clean before a winning program that's Pony Express-level dirty. I'll just not have football if we're gonna risk having something as dirty as Baylor. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, meangreendork said:

No to Briles. Period. I don't care about how many wins he can line up because his character is in question. That whole scandal at Baylor is disgusting and that's before you factor in the level of cover-up. I'll take a losing program that's clean before a winning program that's Pony Express-level dirty. I'll just not have football if we're gonna risk having something as dirty as Baylor. 

I think some will disagree with you.  I am not one of them.  I'm much happier with ethical mediocrity than stooping to SMU tactics for prominence. 

• Upvote 2