UNT President Smatresk involved in accident

Harry

Speaking up would have helped no one, and I don't think his title as President obligates him to release a statement.

Your expectations are awfully low for the president of a public university of 37,000, who is paid $505,000 a year. A small-town mayor who hit two people with his car would be expected to tell the public what happened. Why is Smatresk exempt from that?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Your expectations are awfully low for the president of a public university of 37,000, who is paid $505,000 a year. A small-town mayor who hit two people with his car would be expected to tell the public what happened. Why is Smatresk exempt from that?

Because there are many legal routes a civil suit  could bring twisting any public statement on the matter.

Should RV have made those remarks of his "public position" eight years ago when his son helped put a guy in the hospital with life-threatening injuries?? http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/topic/35283-son-of-unt-athletic-director-arrested-after-early-morning-fight/?page=1

Yeah, probably not.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

it's not a matter or high or low expectations.  I just don't think this is a matter of professionalism, just like I wouldn't expect him to release a statement if he missed his flight to see his family, or dropped the turkey at Thanksgiving dinner.

Maybe if we were talking about drugs or alcoholism I'd like to hear an explanation but  - at the same time - would understand that the lawyer would ask him to wait until a certain point in the judicial process.

• Upvote 1

it's not a matter or high or low expectations.  I just don't think this is a matter of professionalism, just like I wouldn't expect him to release a statement if he missed his flight to see his family, or dropped the turkey at Thanksgiving dinner.

Comparing either of those things to hitting two pedestrians with your car is absurd.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

About 7 weeks ago I was rear-ended by a girl on 35W.  My car was determined totaled, and I was lucky enough to walk away.  The girl was taken to the hospital for what I think were precautionary reasons.  There was no indication that alcohol was involved.  I'm of the unofficial opinion that she was looking at her phone and completely distracted.  This is reinforced by the fact that she made no attempt to brake or avoid me.

Maybe I'm too nice, but I hold zero angst towards her.  I don't assume this makes her bad at her job, or a horrible person.  We have never spoken, but I already forgive her.  None of this would be different if I was talking about lost loved ones or friends in the car.  It doesn't change the fact that it was human error.

Salaries are often market driven, and not necessarily standard driven.  I like to think I'm pretty good at my job, as good or better than Smatresk at being a university president or Littrell at being an OC.  Yet I have no delusions of being entitled to the same pay because of the market of my career.  These people aren't being paid 500K+ dollars a year because their job holds higher standards than mine, inversely I am not allowed to be a lesser person because I make less.

I don't know the circumstances of the president's accident, but I don't feel entitled to an immediate public statement.  I would expect a statement if this was about a fit of rage or involved drugs/alcohol, but that will not come until the lawyer says it's okay...no matter how entitled to it you think you are.

I hope that helps you understand where I am coming from, @rcade.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I don't know the circumstances of the president's accident, but I don't feel entitled to an immediate public statement.  I would expect a statement if this was about a fit of rage or involved drugs/alcohol, but that will not come until the lawyer says it's okay...no matter how entitled to it you think you are.

I'm glad you weren't hurt in your car accident, but to me that has nothing to do with the issue of expecting a leader to be a leader. When you're involved in an accident that's going to put the news headline "UNT president strikes 2 pedestrians with SUV" in the paper, that's a negative reflection on the school. Smatresk cares about UNT's reputation, presumably. The best way to manage the situation was to issue a short statement right after it happened so the press and public did not think he was hoping to cover it up.

It's weird you think that a personal sense of entitlement drives me to say this. It's hardly controversial to expect accountability from a leader of a public institution.

Here's a comment from the DRC website by someone claiming to be one of the pedestrians:

I am the one he hit as well as my friend. We are both pilots and are unable to fly at this time. I am upset he was not tested. We clearly had the walk signal and there is a button on the side we were on for the signal. In that shopping center there is a bar.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm glad you weren't hurt in your car accident, but to me that has nothing to do with the issue of expecting a leader to be a leader. When you're involved in an accident that's going to put the news headline "UNT president strikes 2 pedestrians with SUV" in the paper, that's a negative reflection on the school. Smatresk cares about UNT's reputation, presumably. The best way to manage the situation was to issue a short statement right after it happened so the press and public did not think he was hoping to cover it up.

It's weird you think that a personal sense of entitlement drives me to say this. It's hardly controversial to expect accountability from a leader of a public institution.

Here's a comment from the DRC website by someone claiming to be one of the pedestrians:

sounds like someone that is setting up to sue. Society sucks sometimes.  

• Upvote 1