Kendal Briles -- North Texas Head Coaching Candidate

Harry

He isn't any worse then the SEC-tested Tommy Tuberville was.

And, so...? The expectation at $3.1 million a year is to do no better than Tommy Tuberville did there?  

Tuberville, 9-18 in the Big 12; Kingbury, 8-16 = both .333 in the Big 12
Tuberville, 20-17 overall; Kingsbury, 17-17 = Tuberville advantage .541 winning percentage to Kingsbury's .500.

Both are mediocre, so the argument is a moot from a team competitiveness standpoint.  But, what isn't moot is that Tech is throwing a lot of money away on Kingsbury's hype...which was ridiculously high.

Tuberville clocks in at $2.2 million a year for Cincy.  In the same period Kingbury has gone 17-17 for his $3.1 million, the Bearkats have gone 23-11 under Tuberville.  Tuberville originally signed with Tech for $1.5 million in 2010, then got kicked up to $2 million in 2011. 

Tech overpaid for Kingsbury.  Cincy probably pays Tuberville at about what the market would bring for him. 

The bottom line for Tech will always be the same: no matter how Kliffy coifs his hair, he will always be stuck with trying to get top recruits to spend four or five years of their lives in Lubbock.  There are a myriad of schools that. like Tech, win seven or eight games a year for high school kids to choose from...and, most are in better locales than Lubbock.

• Harry pinned this topic
  • Harry unpinned this topic

I think a lot of us here have our heads in the clouds when it comes to the challenges at UNT.  It will be hard for almost anyone to recruit here.  UNT is now featured as punchline to an undefeated Iowa team's weak schedule daily on ESPN, and Fox Radio.  Recruits hear that media noise and it makes UNT a harder sell to them.   I don't think Kendall Briles is on the phone from UNT perks the interest of the mid range recruits we need.  And if that is the case I would rather have a coach with more experience who has success recruiting to programs that are difficult to recruit to.   The new staff needs to be able to find the diamonds in the rough here and polish them to shine brilliantly.  I too have fallen into the name trap in other gmg.com forums we need a coach with experience in tough circumstances.

Are you studying at the RV school of expectations management?  Hell, none of us knows what will happen when any coach comes here.  I guess your schtick reminds me of Coach Mac's, but his record here was just about the same as it was at Iowa State.  Of course he claimed they done him wrong by letting him go; maybe you were working on his speeches for him.  If so, at least we were spared that "they done me wrong speech".  Anyway, your writings are as tiresome as Mac's speeches to me.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 2

Are you studying at the RV school of expectations management?  Hell, none of us knows what will happen when any coach comes here.  I guess your schtick reminds me of Coach Mac's, but his record here was just about the same as it was at Iowa State.  Of course he claimed they done him wrong by letting him go; maybe you were working on his speeches for him.  If so, at least we were spared that "they done me wrong speech".  Anyway, your writings are as tiresome as Mac's speeches to me.

I am no supporter of Mac (didn't like the hire in the first placed base on his record at ISU).  And my schtick is call truth; your average student that comes to UNT does not come because they expect anything exciting coming from the athletics programs.  And I think that is very apparent when you can barely get 8,000 out of 24,000 undergraduate to show up during a historic season.  Mac wasn't done wrong but that doesn't mean he was wrong when he said this was a hard place to recruit to.  That is why Kendall Briles is not interested nor should he be.  If you were a Texas recruit today how would you rank FBS destinations strictly based on opportunity to be a part of a winning team?   And let us just list in state jobs?

1. Baylor

2. TCU

3. Texas A&M

4. UT Austin

5. Texas Tech

6. Houston

So we are in the bottom 6 anyone minimally objective can see that.  I am not making excuses for past or future coaches.  UNT needs someone truly amazing to get this turned around.  I don't see that happening with RV at the helm.  And I don't see how any "amazing" coach would respect a program with RV as their "boss" even if that is only his figurative position at this point.  So until UNT hires a coach that has shown he can recruit to historically bad programs, I will not get my hopes up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I am no supporter of Mac (didn't like the hire in the first placed base on his record at ISU).  And my schtick is call truth; your average student that comes to UNT does not come because they expect anything exciting coming from the athletics programs.  And I think that is very apparent when you can barely get 8,000 out of 24,000 undergraduate to show up during a historic season.  Mac wasn't done wrong but that doesn't mean he was wrong when he said this was a hard place to recruit to.  That is why Kendall Briles is not interested nor should he be.  If you were a Texas recruit today how would you rank FBS destinations strictly based on opportunity to be a part of a winning team?   And let us just list in state jobs?

1. Baylor

2. TCU

3. Texas A&M

4. UT Austin

5. Texas Tech

6. Houston

So we are in the bottom 6 anyone minimally objective can see that.  I am not making excuses for past or future coaches.  UNT needs someone truly amazing to get this turned around.  I don't see that happening with RV at the helm.  And I don't see how any "amazing" coach would respect a program with RV as their "boss" even if that is only his figurative position at this point.  So until UNT hires a coach that has shown he can recruit to historically bad programs, I will not get my hopes up.

Your schtick is your schtick, and that's the truth, but you fail to mention the various struggles of the various other programs which you find so praiseworthy at this time.  And you don't really have to use so many words to say you don't think UNT has any merit, sports or otherwise.  Hey, pick one of those 6 and go with it.  If your message isn't tired, your writing certainly is.  And with so many who have written well coming out of UNT, that's nobody's fault but your own.

• Upvote 1

Harry, the original poster had no point, other than "it's so hard here", and the thread itself is obsolete.  Lock time?

so if I get your main point we should rehire Mac?

Run off loyal supporters who happen to accurately criticize the program and the leadership, good one.  Just more fuel to the fire why its "hard" here.  It hard here because the leadership, community, and alumni make it hard.  And the problem is, it DOESN'T have to be.   So until we get one those 3 primary issues improved this will continue to be a dumpster fire.  I have been to almost every game since 2005, graduated in 2008 and at least half of Dickey's home games.  "Rehire Mac" really?  If that is what you get out my post  maybe I should stop writing.  The point is that until you get rid of RV and change the leadership culture don't expect any sustained success here.  I don't have time nor do I care about what other programs "on UNT's level" are doing.  But I will ask this name one coach in the country that was successful a program without at one those 3 primary issues I mentioned being a strength of the program when they arrived.   I don't think that coach exist and if this amazing coach accomplished this feat, I doubt it was his first head coaching job at FCS level or above.

• Downvote 2