How hot is McCarney's seat?

techdawg88

Unless things have REALLY changed I bet Mac is fine for this season.  I can see the following happening:

2015:  2-10.  Mac returns because "we're really young and rebuilding".

2016: 5-7.  Just enough improvement that Mac gets another year.

2017: 7-5, bowl game.  Now he has one year left on his contract.  How much does it hurt recruiting if the coach is going into the final year of his contract?  Would we give him a token extension that we can get out of easily?  Hard imagine we'd sign him for another 5 years after only two winning seasons.  He'll about 64 years old ... would he want to keep coaching? 

2018:  ???  He never had more than 2 winning seasons in a row at ISU. 

The absolute worst spot for UNT to get in is your scenario listed above. You cannot let a coach in any sport coach in the last year of a contract. If you think recruiting has been bad so far, not even unrated players would want to consider coming here, not knowing if the coaching staff will even be there at the end of the season. That's why you have to extend or cut bait before the last year of the contract. If we get to 2017 and have another winning season, one that is 7 wins as you mentioned above, I'm almost certain that he will get an RV extension of at least 2+ years. RV is dying to give those out to Mac or Benford or any other revenue hire--it is now known that he has a contract that the BOR allows him to get his own extensions when he gives one out that gets BOR approval.

If you think things are pathetic now, imagine that scenario playing out--Mac getting another extension because he cleared that incredibly high hurdle of finishing above .500 in a season again...

• Upvote 1

He is going to be evaluated as well he should be, however we had a 1st week bye and have only had 1 conference game.  It is too early to tell how things will play out.  I know Southern Miss will be favored but I would be careful about this game.  We have had a plethora of turnovers, injuries at key positions and very little production at the QB position thus far. 

BTW welcome to the site and would be interested in your take on USM this year.  Also, what happened to Eagle Post?  I tried to visit and it was down.

Edited by Harry

Trust me, it's a lot hotter than most think. Understandably, most of our fans are basing their opinions on how things used to be at UNT, but things have changed since Apogee was built and President Smatresk arrived. If we go 0-12 or 1-11, Mac won't be around next year.

sorry, my response should have been:

Bless your little heart...

Almost forgot my southerness. 

Trust me, it's a lot hotter than most think. Understandably, most of our fans are basing their opinions on how things used to be at UNT, but things have changed since Apogee was built and President Smatresk arrived. If we go 0-12 or 1-11, Mac won't be around next year.

You speak with such confidence. How do you know this?

Well, RV knows that he better heat up McCarney's seat, and quick.  Otherwise all the attention will come down on RV.  You know that RV has to be working the big donors like crazy right now and trying to get them to focus on 'what to do about the coaching situation', even if they don't end up acting.  RV can't let the donors and Prez sit around and have extra time on their hands to think too much about who else might need to be replaced.

• Upvote 2