Predict the UNT/SMU Score

Matt from A700

Agreed - SMU's game plan against us will be let their QB and passing game beat us.  They will load the box as does everyone we play.

Smu looks like they have improved on offense and added young talent at the skill positions.  

Their defense on the other hand looks about the same. The same defense that had trouble with us last year.  They loaded the box last year.  Unless they got some great defensive additions that were hidden in the Baylor game, I expect UNT to move the ball and score.  We need to put up 7s instead of 3s.  It may be a back and forth game.  That defense is going to get tested just like ours will.  Who will convert and execute the most?

• Upvote 1

Smu looks like they have improved on offense and added young talent at the skill positions.  

Their defense on the other hand looks about the same. The same defense that had trouble with us last year.  They loaded the box last year.  Unless they got some great defensive additions that were hidden in the Baylor game, I expect UNT to move the ball and score.  We need to put up 7s instead of 3s.  It may be a back and forth game.  That defense is going to get tested just like ours will.  Who will convert and execute the most?

What part of these stats leads you to believe we can move the ball on them?

We didn't move the ball well against them at all last year. We were very fortunate that our defense was jacked up and their offense was so terrible that we had a short field most of the game. We kicked a boatload of field goals because we couldn't move the ball more than 30 yards in a drive. If the coaches believe this same garbage, we are gonna get our asses kicked.

• Upvote 1

If we play like it's a home game---our crowd should help make it feel at least equivalent to a bowl game---- I think we win this comfortably.

Dirty schmoo showed flashes on offense last week but their defense looks to be even worse than what they fielded last year.  Our D will be better up front.  All the misdirection and speed they have may nullify that somewhat, so we're going to need a great effort from our back 7---and by that I mean solid tackling and the occasional bell ringer.  

McNulty can have a solid game by just being a bus driver and not turning it over.

Final score: 35-17, good guys.

I am starting to get really excited about our Defense's potential but thats what it is right now...Potential. I hope they come out ready to bring the wood and bring back that punishing Defense we had back when we went to the HOD Bowl.

The secondary has a chance to be faster at all spots.  Whitfield, mcclain, davis, marshall, gray...all faster than last year's player.

That doesn't translate to guaranteed success, but it's a start.  If their main focus was the passing game and covering, it would be a huge upgrade.  But even a fast DB can be burned if he is confused, hesitant or has to worry about the running game. 

Our upgrade in speed in the secondary will should offset the new talent... even though SMU had speed last year...  The issue is the qb running.  None of these guys in the secondary has shown the ability to tackle in open space or support the run game.

It wouldn't surprise me if our secondary covers just as good or even better than Baylor's did.  I'm not sure if our tackling could be any worse than Baylor's was either.

We need our front 7 to contain and tackle Davis.  Like a previous poster said, if he beats us with his arm, then they are just better.

I'll go with UNT winning 23-21. I think our ball control offense will pound them down in the second half. I wouldn't be surprised to see us losing--even badly--at halftime of this game, something in the range of 14-3 or even 21-6. But I think we will wear them down. The absolute best thing that could have happened to us was for them to have to play a game last week that required maximum effort. They showed a lot of heart--but the gameplan is out now. They put in a lot to beat Baylor at home--because they had to for several reasons: great opponent, first game of the coach, a team that their monied fans care a lot about. Literally none of those factors will be here this week.

I thought SMU showed some real heart in that opener against Baylor. It'll be interesting to see if we see anything close to that this weekend against us, especially before they go play TCU in Ft. Worth.

I'll go with UNT winning 23-21. I think our ball control offense will pound them down in the second half. I wouldn't be surprised to see us losing--even badly--at halftime of this game, something in the range of 14-3 or even 21-6. But I think we will wear them down. The absolute best thing that could have happened to us was for them to have to play a game last week that required maximum effort. They showed a lot of heart--but the gameplan is out now. They put in a lot to beat Baylor at home--because they had to for several reasons: great opponent, first game of the coach, a team that their monied fans care a lot about. Literally none of those factors will be here this week.

I thought SMU showed some real heart in that opener against Baylor. It'll be interesting to see if we see anything close to that this weekend against us, especially before they go play TCU in Ft. Worth.

I don't think SMU will be overlooking UNT this weekend.  I actually think they'll be pretty amped up believing they can avenge last year's whipping.

What part of these stats leads you to believe we can move the ball on them?

We didn't move the ball well against them at all last year. We were very fortunate that our defense was jacked up and their offense was so terrible that we had a short field most of the game. We kicked a boatload of field goals because we couldn't move the ball more than 30 yards in a drive. If the coaches believe this same garbage, we are gonna get our asses kicked.

im basing it on us being terrible last year and we still blew them out.  They have upgraded, since that game, but we have too.

If we are going to give them credit for their upgrades, then we have to consider ours.

They lost to pegram and greer...do i need to elaborate?  And then if I add wr...

And if we really wanted to, we could have pit up much more on that defense.  We just took what they gave us.  Very conservative and safe playcalling...even for UNT standards.

If you want to look at stats...greer went 9-12 86 yards.  And I think a TD of his was called back.  Do I need to elaborate?

• Upvote 1

Malonish, I saw on the SMU board that one of your alums expressed concern that Texas might come after Chad Morris because Texas lost. Do you think you guys might be looking past us?  That is after you gave up 723 yards against Baylor. That puts you in last place in all of D1 for week 1. Two years ago UNT was tied with Georgia, who was ranked #9 in the nation, 21-21 mid 3rd quarter.  We did loose by 24.  All I know is every year is a new year.  You won't know what you are up against until we hit the field. If you have fear, talk real loud.  Maybe that will help.  You did keep in tact, your statistical edge, in that, you can't loose em all, unless you loose the first one. GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

im basing it on us being terrible last year and we still blew them out.  They have upgraded, since that game, but we have too.

If we are going to give them credit for their upgrades, then we have to consider ours.

They lost to pegram and greer...do i need to elaborate?  And then if I add wr...

And if we really wanted to, we could have pit up much more on that defense.  We just took what they gave us.  Very conservative and safe playcalling...even for UNT standards.

If you want to look at stats...greer went 9-12 86 yards.  And I think a TD of his was called back.  Do I need to elaborate?

See, to me, I don't really see how we are that improved from last year--yes, Greer sucked, but McNulty isn't much better than him, so the WR position may be better, but do we have a QB that can get them the ball to make plays? Plus, our OL is basically starting over.

To me, this game comes down to if our defense can stop them. If it does, we will win, maybe even comfortably. If it can't, we won't win a shootout. Our offense isn't geared to do that. If we score a lot of points, it will be because our defense shortened the field by getting turnovers.

• Upvote 2

We just took what they gave us.  Very conservative and safe playcalling...even for UNT standards.

All of this supports the idea that SMU beat themselves as much as we beat SMU. If SMU plays a clean game and all other things hold equal to last year, we lose. 

Edited by Eagle1855

Wasn't Baylor missing two starters on defense?

Yes, their Monster DE and a starting Safety.

Baylor does have a Defense that is Night and Day better than ours but they did miss a total of 23 tackles in the first half that lead to 21 points. If they would of tackled better they might of scored 7 in the first half. No matter how good or bad our defense plays on Saturday, we must tackle well or SMU will run away with it