Predict the UNT/SMU Score

Matt from A700

Because, as you said, they have not just a bad defense but a historically bad defense. Their defense is worse than any we faced last year outside of Nicholls. Those were your words correct? I will stand by my words as you should stand by your words. If we get beat or McNulty and co aren't able to score points on them, you will lay criticism on the offensive coaching staff.

Those were my words.  I promise to watch the game from my seats in section 122.  Criticizing the coaching staff is something I'm not committing to....

Ok, fine.  Baylor put up 574 yards and 45 points on SMU last year and 782 yards and 61 points on TCU.  Are you suggesting that dirty schmoo fielded a better defense than tcu last year based on those results or that TCU might give up MORE than 782 yards to Baylor this year?  

Yards are just yards if you don't score.  TCU scored 58 points against Baylor.  They finished drives.  Dirty schmoo moved the ball in the first half until Baylor started tackling.  Then all the qb scrambling and gimmicks amounted to zero points all while their defense kept getting gouged.  Baylor did whatever they wanted to schmoo's defense.  I've seen defense played like that first-hand, back when we went up to Norman and got annihilated by the offensive juggernaut of that day, OU.  No knock against Van Malone, but this is his first DC job.  He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt that Patterson gets after fielding great defenses for nearly 2 decades.  It's hard to gauge a team after just the first week, but to my eyes, schmoo is still fielding a small defense that can be run on---even if they stack the box--and thrown over.  Obviously it's hard to say what our offense will look like since nobody outside the team has seen a practice, but I just didn't see a defense out there last week that looked improved over schmoo's terrible defense of 2014.  If anything, I thought they looked worse.

Heh. Heh heh. Schmoo.

Because, as you said, they have not just a bad defense but a historically bad defense. Their defense is worse than any we faced last year outside of Nicholls. Those were your words correct? I will stand by my words as you should stand by your words. If we get beat or McNulty and co aren't able to score points on them, you will lay criticism on the offensive coaching staff.

I didnt post anything about Nichols or the worst defense we played, but I do agree with that post.  SMU was horrible last year, and it looks like they upgraded to bad.

I stand by what I said monts ago and the baylor game does not cloud my judgement.  

If UNT loses to SMU by even 1 point and the refs cheat, we should throw everything into making 2016 successful.  Before the game I would tell all my seniors...bean, a wallace, harris, m smith, mcnulty, orr, whitfield, marshall, this is a must win game for you guys.  Make plays to win the game or I'm looking towards 2016.  If we can't beat this team, we won't beat too many more.  Only play the seniors who are making plays and hopefully they can extend their careers.

• Upvote 1

If we are within 7 at half we can win, otherwise SMU will mind bogle us with speed and moves. Prescott Line and Matt Davis are far superior to any we can field at QB or running back. Play smart defense and keep it close and we can win. If we blow up early it will be a rout for SMU. I hope we are ready, but after seeing SMU I fear we are not prepared for what we are about to face. Speed and QB/RB play will be the difference unless our defense can suck it up big time.

You are high if you think Line is better than our RB's.  He wouldn't make the 2 deep and may not be in the top three.  Should I expect to seemyou in your red and blue this weekend?

• Upvote 1

I didnt post anything about Nichols or the worst defense we played, but I do agree with that post.  SMU was horrible last year, and it looks like they upgraded to bad.

I stand by what I said monts ago and the baylor game does not cloud my judgement.  

If UNT loses to SMU by even 1 point and the refs cheat, we should throw everything into making 2016 successful.  Before the game I would tell all my seniors...bean, a wallace, harris, m smith, mcnulty, orr, whitfield, marshall, this is a must win game for you guys.  Make plays to win the game or I'm looking towards 2016.  If we can't beat this team, we won't beat too many more.  Only play the seniors who are making plays and hopefully they can extend their careers.

Sorry, I got you confused with someone else. Am I picking up a little sarcasm?

...they put up 21 points and STILL LOST by 35 while giving up 56 points and 720+ yards..

I don't see why we can't be impressed by their effort against Baylor with a first year coach when we celebrate putting up 21 points on Georgia, even though we lost by 24 while giving up 45 points and 450+ yards with a third year coach and what was easily the best defense we've fielded in years.

• Upvote 3

As we draw closer to game time, the homer in me trumps all rationale. I've revising my prediction to 35-14, good guys win.

I don't think the homer in you trumped anything.  I just think you've had time to sleep off the irrational fears that the Baylor game struck you (and many others) with.

Welcome back to reality.

Now, the Mean Green players will need to welcome the Pony fans back to reality on 9/12.

• Upvote 2

I don't see why we can't be impressed by their effort against Baylor with a first year coach when we celebrate putting up 21 points on Georgia, even though we lost by 24 while giving up 45 points and 450+ yards with a third year coach and what was easily the best defense we've fielded in years.

A lot of it comes down to the fact that it was against Baylor.  My wife's family is mostly BU grads/fans.  So I've watched MORE than my fair share of their games (probably only missed a couple games all year on TV and went to 2 games last year---Tech and Cotton Bowl, and have been doing this for 10+ years).  Next to UNT, I am more familiar with them than any other team.  So, that may cloud my judgment.  Either way, I just don't respect their defense AT ALL.  Sure they line up some studs at certain positions, but typically over half of the starters never attempt anything more than an arm tackle.  They tackle like Dodge's teams used to and it makes me sick.  They'll throw their shoulders/bodies/whatever into guys trying to make highlight reels, but against most D1 players that just doesn't work.  They also tend to take entire quarters or halves off---esp if they think the offense is just going to roll someone (both games I went to last year they blew 20 point leads).  

Also, in reference to why our game against Georgia was more impressive---our game had context.  We put together a good season.  That was our 4th (?) game that season and we had already started to show signs that our defense was very good.  Then the rest of the season confirmed it.  If dirty schmoo follows up that performance against Baylor with a quality season then I think that changes a lot about how we should view that game.  For now, it's just the 1st game.  It sure as heck went better for them than Dodge's first game went for us.  :)

• Upvote 2

As we draw closer to game time, the homer in me trumps all rationale. I've revising my prediction to 35-14, good guys win.

All TDs? With our offense and the (probable) best kicker in our conference I don't see how we only score touchdowns.

I don't think the homer in you trumped anything.  I just think you've had time to sleep off the irrational fears that the Baylor game struck you (and many others) with.

Welcome back to reality.

Now, the Mean Green players will need to welcome the Pony fans back to reality on 9/12.

Reality!? Can't accept that when his score appears to have no field goals. 

All TDs? With our offense and the (probable) best kicker in our conference I don't see how we only score touchdowns.

Reality!? Can't accept that when his score appears to have no field goals. 

How do you know he wasn't calling for 7 of them plus a punt return and a defensive TD? It will really give the offense something to work on before Rice.

• Upvote 1