With McCarney, It's All Downhill From Here

cl_1_2008

Don't go off our roster on our official website. It doesn't do a good job keeping track of redshirts after our RS freshman. We actually have 4 redshirt seniors (A Johnson, Y'Barbo, Teegarden, and Dunham) and 15 redshirt juniors (Ellard, Jimmerson, C Jones, M Thompson, Chad Polk, Zach Whitfield, Anthony Wallace, Kenny Buyers, Michael Banogu, Andrew Mcnulty, Austin Orr, Jarod Lynn, Marcus Smith, Chris Loving, and Freddie Warner) on scholarship. Some of those kids were not originally 2011 signing class guys, though.

But that doesn't make your point any less valid.

Great stuff, Billy.

Would you mind listing the 2013 & 2014 class redshirts thus far?

• Upvote 2

Didn't TCU go 4-8 last year and look like a trainwreck? Doesn't TCU rank towards the bottom of P5 schools in recruiting? Now they're gonna win the B12.

Just sayin'. Continue the circlejerk.

Good coaches find ways to win.

I think Mac is an excellent coach.

I'm not worried about the future.

They train you up real fast once you get inside them AD doors... huh?

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 2

Didn't TCU go 4-8 last year and look like a trainwreck? Doesn't TCU rank towards the bottom of P5 schools in recruiting? Now they're gonna win the B12.

TCU has turned around it's program bc Patterson accepted change.

TCU does not rank low in recruiting, at all.

What has Mac done not only at North Texas but throughout his coaching career for you to crown him as an "excellent" coach? That's a serious question. Maybe there has been something I missed.

And now we agree, good coaches do find ways to win. 4-8, 5-7, 9-4, and 3-9/5-7 is not "finding ways to win." It's losing and losing at a high rate.

Macs winning % is like DT's td/int ratio, for every 1 win we are going to average over 1 loss. Let that sink in.

Circle Jerk continued.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Continue to have blind faith and let me know how that works out for you...

Also TCU isn't typically near the bottom, they are typically in the top 25 in recruiting/

• Upvote 1

We have been hosed in recruiting every season.

-We have zero redshirt seniors and two redshirt juniors because of how many kids left in the 2011/2012 classes. Mac's plan for building this team (redshirting half the class or so) won't be in full effect until 2016. His plan has always been to win with a roster full of redshirt players but he wasn't able to do that in year one and two.

-I remember when we were in the sun belt, pretty much any high school kid with an offer from a CUSA school would turn us down. We are now in CUSA (with a much larger budget and first class facilities) and have lost out on players to sun belt schools each year of the Mac era.

-The amount of scholarships awarded to punters/deep snappers is strange.

-JUCO recruiting has been awful for the most part. Andrew Power (Class of 2011 JUCO TE), James Jones and Shawn Mckinney (to an extent) made an impact. Justin Manu, Quenton Brown, Brock Berglund, Brent Obsorn, Darren Denucci, Matthew Dash, Akii Smith, Josh Greer, DQ Johnson, Deleon McCord have been busts. That is 3 out of 13 JUCO players panning out over 4 signing classes.

-Put a lot of time and resources into recruiting Louisiana in 2012 and got nothing in return, Lajaylin Smith is the only player who remains and he backs up freshmen at LB as a junior

-Repeatedly made comments about how big players were when he arrived yet starts a 5'11 220 pound DE in year 4...

-Class of 2011 was put together in a couple of months, no one expected miracles. However, this team is bad because of the class of 2012. A class where we signed six defensive lineman and have seen very seen very little production from any of them.

Class of 2012

OL Boone Feldt- Gone

S David Busby - Gone

RB Mark Lewis - Gone

JUCO CB DQ Johson - Bust, graduated

WR Nick Schrapps - Gone

DE Jarrian Roberts - decent player

WR Roderick Lancaster - gone

DE Malik Dilonga - minimal impact so far

DE Brad Horton - gone

DT Calvin Wallace - minimal impact if any

ATH Rex Rollins - Haven't seen him much this year

CB Xavier Kelly- gone

OL Ryan Rentfro - unknown up to this point

S Devante Davis - gone

LB Dustin Clark - gone

RB Jamarcus Jarvis - gone

LB Jamal Marshall - minimal impact

DT Dutton Watson - minimal impact

DT Mustafa Haboul - minimal impact

LB Lajaylin Smith - backup

WR Carlos Harris - The classes saving grace

OL Connor Trussell - Unknown up to this point

That's 10 kids gone from that class. Amazing.

And totally agree with your point, why do we have 6 special teams players on scholly? It should be 3.

I think last years class was pretty good and there are a few good pieces in this class already but this season is not going to do Mac any good in finishing up this years class.

When's the last time we got a kid with a great offer list. A true recruiting battle victory. A kid with multiple P5 offers, yet alone decent P5 schools at that.

• Upvote 1

That's 10 kids gone from that class. Amazing.

And totally agree with your point, why do we have 6 special teams players on scholly? It should be 3.

I think last years class was pretty good and there are a few good pieces in this class already but this season is not going to do Mac any good in finishing up this years class.

When's the last time we got a kid with a great offer list. A true recruiting battle victory. A kid with multiple P5 offers, yet alone decent P5 schools at that.

This is not me defending this coaching staffs recruiting blunders at all, but Tee Goree. I am uncertain if he actually had offers handed down but last year in Carthage's title run he was gaining multiple P5 interest and still stuck with us.

TCU has turned around it's program bc Patterson accepted change.

TCU does not rank low in recruiting, at all.

What has Mac done not only at North Texas but throughout his coaching career for you to crown him as an "excellent" coach? That's a serious question. Maybe there has been something I missed.

And now we agree, good coaches do find ways to win. 4-8, 5-7, 9-4, and 3-9/5-7 is not "finding ways to win." It's losing and losing at a high rate.

Macs winning % is like DT's td/int ratio, for every 1 win we are going to average over 1 loss. Let that sink in.

Circle Jerk continued.

I agree about TCU and Patterson. He saw something was broke and made changes. TCU went out and got a coach and changed their offense.

As successful as Patterson has been over the years, he realized it was time to make adjustments. They are running something totally different and it is paying off.

I agree about TCU and Patterson. He saw something was broke and made changes. TCU went out and got a coach and changed their offense.

As successful as Patterson has been over the years, he realized it was time to make adjustments. They are running something totally different and it is paying off.

Don't disagree with your point but he's dealing with a different talent pool in B12. Then again it's not like UTEP, La Tech or frankly any of the other C-USA schools have distinct advantages over us. We are sitting in the biggest talent pool in the country. There's just no excuse for it. There's no excuse to give a scholarship to Brock Berglund and Brent Osborn and Greer. all of the teams that beat us this year had better QB play. They simply mis-evaluated the QB prospects.

As far as P5s I think he had a Colorado offer

Arkansas came in late and apparently did offer. As for your other question, the guys we have gotten with impressive offer lists came during our winning streak last year and before this season began. When we could pitch winning. Sam Miller, Tee Goree, and Caleb Chumley. When we aren't winning we struggle with recruiting battles.

you are correct many of us asked to tap the brakes until we saw DMacs recruits in action.

Earlier post said we are catching breaks this year, well can be said we got lucky last year hitting teams while they were sliding and the 2 conference games against rising opponents, the team lost and DMac was out-coached and out-prepared (Tulane and UTSA)

You left out a Rice team that we caught that was rising. They had won 5 straight until they ran into us.

NO EXCUSES TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE NEED NEW PHILOSOPHY FROM TOP TO BOTTOM OR GO BACK TO SOUTHLAND WHICH WE ONLY SEEM TO BE WILLING TO FUND FOR ! TELL STUDENTS TO STEP UP TO $20. Per hour or go somewhere else!

Nope. They will not do that bc of our fantastic ad's recent decision making. We will not raise the student fee to possibly free up scheduling bc that's just not North Texas. We suck. Our leadership sucks and if I were a recruit I would run from this university until serious changes are made from top to bottom. This university is pitiful. This all sounds harsh, but the deeper I look into this the more information I find out and the more disgusted I am. I will personally maintain my attendance to as many sporting events, but it looks like I'll be sitting in half empty facilities for a long time coming. Damn shame.
  • Downvote 2

They've got Patterson, we've got McCarney. I'll take Patterson.

We lost many starters last year,which was Dodge's senior class, off a 9&4 team. We are going to lose a "ton" off this years 3&9/4&8 squad. What does that bode for 2015? Just asking.

I share your concern for 2015. The cupboard is looking pretty empty (I am sure Mac wouldn't say this now). I hate to say this, but I don't think we will be back to a bowl for a long time.

Go Mean Green- Beat UTSA

Don't disagree with your point but he's dealing with a different talent pool in B12. Then again it's not like UTEP, La Tech or frankly any of the other C-USA schools have distinct advantages over us. We are sitting in the biggest talent pool in the country. There's just no excuse for it. There's no excuse to give a scholarship to Brock Berglund and Brent Osborn and Greer. all of the teams that beat us this year had better QB play. They simply mis-evaluated the QB prospects.

This staff is already limiting their potential talent pool at QB by not looking at anyone below 6'3". I just flat out don't understand why they would do this???

• Upvote 1

We lost many starters last year,which was Dodge's senior class, off a 9&4 team. We are going to lose a "ton" off this years 3&9/4&8 squad. What does that bode for 2015? Just asking.

That all depends on the level of recruitment and development that DMac has instituted since his arrival. From the results of this year, not real promising.

This wouldn't be tolerated at other universities. It will be interesting to see if it is tolerated here after this season is over.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was.

I know you have repeated it countless times and you are right, there is no accountability on this coaching staff or entire administration in general. Would be highly suprised if any coach gets canned after this embarrassing season.

I know you have repeated it countless times and you are right, there is no accountability on this coaching staff or entire administration in general. Would be highly suprised if any coach gets canned after this embarrassing season.

There are a LOT of levels of being held accountable besides being fired! Any HR pro will tell you that is the LAST stage of accountability, not the first.