Just realized this is my tenth season of UNT football

Man, time flies since I first brought that seven-year-old little girl to the Tulsa game with me and she got scared out of the student section.

I'm nine seasons in.  In that time, UNT football is 34-76 overall.  

Of games I've seen in person, my record is 22-24.  

The games I've witnessed record is better than I thought it would be.  2013 made up a lot of ground in the overall picture.  

Hope the overall numbers are reversed in ratio by the time I get to my twentieth season.  

See you all at Apogee September 2nd!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Man, time flies since I first brought that seven-year-old little girl to the Tulsa game with me and she got scared out of the student section.

I'm nine seasons in.  In that time, UNT football is 34-76 overall.  

Of games I've seen in person, my record is 22-24.  

The games I've witnessed record is better than I thought it would be.  2013 made up a lot of ground in the overall picture.  

Hope the overall numbers are reversed in ratio by the time I get to my twentieth season.  

See you all at Apogee September 2nd!

You need to come to more games. You seem to be relatively good luck for us.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

It's my daughter who's the good luck charm.  Even during the Benford years, she's never seen a basketball loss.  She starts at UNT in the fall, so I'm calling a 3 major sport sweep of the national championships. 

She better not miss a game. On you to get her to road games lol

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This is my 28th season to enjoy...5 winning seasons, 22 losing seasons, 8 coaches, 4 ADs, and a record of 112 wins, 184 losses, and 2 ties.

A sweet .379% winning percentage in football.

damn....you need a beer...or lots of them!

year 22 for me....damn...can't believe it's been that long for me...started college in 95...just can quit north texas...

3 hours ago, THOR said:

damn....you need a beer...or lots of them!

year 22 for me....damn...can't believe it's been that long for me...started college in 95...just can quit north texas...

And this was after my HS in Ft. Worth went a salty 3-27 in my last three years there, where we beat the same team, Paschal, each year, then lost to the rest.

16 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I've seen the coaching achievements of Matt Simon, Darrell Dickey, Todd Dodge, and Dan McCarney.  It's... it's been a tough 20 years... 

Bless your heart.

First season was 2004. Got sucked in, and then the rest is history. Literally. Records were broken. The bad ones.

• Upvote 1

Never thought about it but watched my brother play in 63 and 64 I think. I was eleven or so....remember going into athletic dorm and trash barrels were smoldering in hallway....different world back then. My personal best FB years Hayden Fry and Darrell Dickey regimes.

19 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Man, time flies since I first brought that seven-year-old little girl to the Tulsa game

The fact that you returned for another game after that Tulsa game is a testament in itself!  

30 years for me ... got hooked on North Texas athletics in the I-AA days when victories against SFA, Sam Houston, and Northwestern St (LA) were considered big.  Things can seem bad at times, but we've come a looooong way.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

And this was after my HS in Ft. Worth went a salty 3-27 in my last three years there, where we beat the same team, Paschal, each year, then lost to the rest.

I was at Paschal when we won one game (and another retroactively by forfeit). Probably around the same time frame. PHS '90

18 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I've seen the coaching achievements of Matt Simon, Darrell Dickey, Todd Dodge, and Dan McCarney.  It's... it's been a tough 20 years... 

69q7JnV.gif

I think that was the first year I went to a game. 

First game I attended was a homecoming game in 63 with my HS Band. Participating in a long discarded tradition, Band day at homecoming. After attending the 63 and 64 games I had an opportunity to attend a TCU football game in 65 (vs Florida State...which they won 7-3). It was my first TCU (or any SWC school for that matter) game and I remember being incredibly UNIMPRESSED with the football team.  But I was even more unimpressed with their Band. They seemed like a HS band compared to the North Texas Band that I had been watching up to that point.

BTW, assuming that this is a "my first game" contest, we are all going to be blown away when GrayEagle posts.

Time certainly does fly. I've been following NT since 2002. That first New Orleans Bowl year sucked me into the black hole of subsequent nut kickings by NT athletics.  I have a lot of respect for the guys who've been doing this with great passion for 20+ years. I've got to admit, the light doesn't burn as bright as it did back then. Hope McCasland & Littrell can change that...

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

First game for me was Idaho in 2013. I got a bit spoiled with my first season, then it all came crashing to reality in 2015, but I have hope for Littrell. Just wish he would recruit better.

Are you ready for the SilverEagle rant 57th version?

There is only so much a coach can overcome whilst trying to recruit good, much less great, talent. And the biggest impediment to their recruiting players is our reputation for losing and our lack of SPORTS CULTURE.

Lets go with a TCU comparison.  They have old history and they have new history. Beginning with their trip to the Sun Bowl under Franchione when they beat USC and the Rose Bowl game when they beat Wisconsin. All during that time they have gotten out in the community and promoted, Promoted and PROMOTED.

Our culture/history includes an administration (until Hayden Fry and Jitter Nolan arrived) that discouraged and/or forbid any sort fund raising. Not only for athletics, but for the school as well. That's why we have such a pathetic amount of money in our endowment fund (143mil) vs a school like Texas State that has 163mil.

- like LSU we came up with a cool name for our defense (Mean Green), but instead of making it a unique part of our culture like LSU does for their Chinese Bandits by coming up with a tune and crowd participation......https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lsu+chinese+bandits+song&view=detail&mid=8238264FC19F824DDC518238264FC19F824DDC51&FORM=VIRE

we make the nickname generic and water it down. And we don't have a unique tune to play when our defense makes a great stand......like the Rice game.

Traditions here, the few we've ever had, get ignored, and/or kicked to the curb.

I envy TCU their stupid 1920's yell......https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=riff+ram+bah+zoo+cheer&view=detail&mid=82304A6A70701AF3FB7482304A6A70701AF3FB74&FORM=VIRE

They have a culture.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Are you ready for the SilverEagle rant 57th version?

There is only so much a coach can overcome whilst trying to recruit good, much less great, talent. And the biggest impediment to their recruiting players is our reputation for losing and our lack of SPORTS CULTURE.

Lets go with a TCU comparison.  They have old history and they have new history. Beginning with their trip to the Sun Bowl under Franchione when they beat USC and the Rose Bowl game when they beat Wisconsin. All during that time they have gotten out in the community and promoted, Promoted and PROMOTED.

Our culture/history includes an administration (until Hayden Fry and Jitter Nolan arrived) that discouraged and/or forbid any sort fund raising. Not only for athletics, but for the school as well. That's why we have such a pathetic amount of money in our endowment fund (143mil) vs a school like Texas State that has 163mil.

- like LSU we came up with a cool name for our defense (Mean Green), but instead of making it a unique part of our culture like LSU does for their Chinese Bandits by coming up with a tune and crowd participation......https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lsu+chinese+bandits+song&view=detail&mid=8238264FC19F824DDC518238264FC19F824DDC51&FORM=VIRE

we make the nickname generic and water it down. And we don't have a unique tune to play when our defense makes a great stand......like the Rice game.

Traditions here, the few we've ever had, get ignored, and/or kicked to the curb.

I envy TCU their stupid 1920's yell......https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=riff+ram+bah+zoo+cheer&view=detail&mid=82304A6A70701AF3FB7482304A6A70701AF3FB74&FORM=VIRE

They have a culture.

You could have completely cranked the sound system to 11 after that 2nd 4th-down stop and you would not have been able to hear anything over the crowd's eruption... let alone anything the GB would play.

-Watched North Texas as a student in 1964, until graduation in August '69.  Great basketball games too.

- Draftee, 18 months in the Army of which 13-1/2 months were spent in "the Nam".

- Attended a few games in the '70's

- Completely abandoned NT football after we dropped to 1AA.  Only checked the scores in the newspaper.  That drop down in classification is what has held North Texas back the past 40+ years.  Small to no vision by the administration.  All because of a lousy 10,000 additional seats in Fouts.  And some schools were able to get that requirement waived (Cincy?)

And here we are, still talking about what needs to be done just to compete with La Tech, Marshall, WKU, nutsak, MUTS, etc.  Liberty?   Puleeeese!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1