Home-home series w/ Liberty

7 hours ago, greenjoe said:

PastorGrant, Do alums that got their degrees from a school via "inter webs" follow their team on the road ?

This seems like a good question for the first Coaches Caravan.

As a rule, no, but some might if it is local to them. Many Liberty grads feel like that's their school, even if they took their classes online.

Yes Liberty is under the gun for 2018 home games and they have their tv network so I'm sure the game willfu

be televised ala BYU. Their games are counted FBS not FCS for bowl eligibility and folks people drive to see

their school play not who they play(ARMY was an away game in 2018) I believe this sets things up for additional

shuffling in the future(ARMY games tacked onto future years)

the future

Wren gave an interesting set of responses to my question over this on Twitter. Utmost of respect for this guy even if I don't agree with this particular decision. Here's hoping it will open up better possibilities as indicated though.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 7

22 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

I have nothing against Liberty. I just don't want them on our schedule. We need to be building better non-conference schedules, not signing "home and homes" with start ups.

We need games with recognizable P5 programs. Syracuse still needs an OOC game in 2018 & 2021. Oklahoma State is in need of another OOC game in 2018. Come on, there had to be better options. I do not like this series with Liberty. I'd really like to hear the logic behind this.

$$$ my guess 

I understand the movement and needing to create flexibility on the schedule. But there are better options out there that have open dates that could've filled this void. Throwing Liberty on there and then trying to justify it is nonsensical. Just be forthcoming with the decision and the reasoning behind this decision. If Liberty chopped up a sweet deal, say it. If Liberty was the first program knocking at the door and you (the AD) felt like it's a strong move, then say it. If you couldn't get anyone  else to take the bait to play us, then tactfully say it. We know the move was made to free up scheduling, but why THIS move. And what other contracts are in the negotiation stage that you think will please the fans. Just stop the charade, and talk to us. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Wren gave an interesting set of responses to my question over this on Twitter. Utmost of respect for this guy even if I don't agree with this particular decision. Here's hoping it will open up better possibilities as indicated though.

I like that he took the time to answer, that is good. However I don't like that the answer is completely devoid of any specifics. It is the equivalent of coach speak.The other part I don't like, is that apparently we ditched two years of the Army games and it never got announced so we are completely devoid of details. I don't consider that good communication. Right now the only information we have is that we scheduled a home and home with Liberty, which in a vacuum is not a great look. There could be mitigating circumstances (I can imagine many*). But usually  people name those if they exist, and when they say that there are mitigating circumstances but don't name them, that is reason to be skeptical.

* like financial return because maybe Liberty pays us to meet their 3 home game mandate. Or Army wanting to get out (although why). Or it not really being an even home and home, more like a 2 for 3. But like I said, if any of this were the case, why not mention it but anounce the game?

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Am I the only one that finds it strange that many on here cannot understand why P5 schools will not give us a home and home but then we say were too good for a home and home with liberty ?

Because we're not a start up. And we're currently trying to build/rebuild our fan base, and Liberty does not offer a meaningful way to do that. 

I fully understand why a P5 would not want to play a home and home or even a 2 for 1 with a G5. Less to gain and more to lose sums it up perfectly. Us playing Liberty applies the same concept. But there are a solid handful of G5's hosting (possibly 2 handfuls) each and every year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Were there not some on this board that thought the Army series was too long?  I don't like the Liberty series BTW.  Too many low hanging fruit FBS teams that we could get into Apogee.  Beatable teams.

I just figured if we wanted to take some games away from playing Army, it would be to play a team higher up the food chain in a home and home series. Because Army brings fans and our fans will show up for those games, I assumed we would want to replace them with somebody who would provide us with fans coming to the game and help with recruiting. 

Then we scheduled a home and home with Jerry Falwell U in Virginia.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Am I the only one that finds it strange that many on here cannot understand why P5 schools will not give us a home and home but then we say were too good for a home and home with liberty ?

No, many fans understand full well why P5 don't often give home and away games to G5's.   Higher level P5's seldom schedule home and away with G5's because they can make a lot more money paying a G5 to play only at their place and there is no reason that they should face a much higher risk of losing at an away game.  They can get away with playing a lesser foe because they have little problem selling season ticket no matter what the OC schedule is.

Not much of that applies to NT and Liberty.  Baker seems to be hinting that this is a gap filling game because of some unannounced event.   Which could be a cancelation by Army or some other scheduled game or jockeying around to allow some much more attractive foe in Apogee.   The Liberty series is a dud, but we will have to wait to see how big of one. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

So the Army games are no more? What a disappointment. That could've turned into a fun rivalry and will bring way more fans home and away than Fallwell U.

Totally agreed. After the bowl game, it was said a lot of the army fans were excited to come back. 

Now the real question is what does UNT get out of this. Is this meant to be like Portland State minus the payout? Or are we paying them? Or are they paying us? 

Also, not playing army just lost us 2 more nationally televised games, even if it's on a backup CBS sports channel.

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

What if this was to replace the body bag games? No info, not even a guess.  But would you all hate it so much in that case?

Would have rather taken th body bag, because of the payout. Yea it sucks but getting as much $ as possible whenever is needed now in building this program.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

I like that he compared RV's schedule to being in the far right lane of 635 during rush hour.

office-space-o.gif

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

What is disappointing about Libety on a moral level?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Beyond the generally nefarious and well-documented manipulation of their students, faculty, and staff, the kicker for me is the recent hiring of Ian McCaw as their AD.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/sports/wp/2016/11/29/in-hiring-ian-mccaw-liberty-university-sends-a-chilling-message/

This is a man who had been egregiously involved in the cover up of sexual assault at Baylor and should never have seen another AD office ever again, let alone one at a Christian university.

I have a good hometown friend who is an assistant athletic director at Georgia Tech and also a Liberty grad. He indicates most students and alumni there have been furious over the hire, and only points to further signs that Falwell U needs a complete overhaul in leadership.

This is not an institution we should ever be associated with.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

As long as we play this team for the first game of the season i am ok with it.  This game can used be to make small changes to make the team better.  I rather open with a team that  has more local interest.  We better not lose that game because it would be hard to come back from.  I would like use to play Texas State and see how the attendance numbers from the game.  Yes I know Texas State is not a FCS team.

24 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

A better question is what isn't disappointing about Liberty.

I know what the response will be from on here but there's a 0% chance of me ever attending a home game in which we play them. Being even remotely associated with these folks is disgraceful. I don't want a dime of my ticket benefiting Liberty.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

39 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

A better question is what isn't disappointing about Liberty.

I know what the response will be from on here but there's a 0% chance of me ever attending a home game in which we play them. Being even remotely associated with these folks is disgraceful. I don't want a dime of my ticket benefiting Liberty.

I guess its a good thing then that we aren't playing Penn St, Baylor or even Cal.  

And btw.....to those who have this game penciled in as wins you might want to check our record vs FCS and FBS start ups...(South Florida, Troy, FAU, FIU....).

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 7