Lots of Transfers available

MeanGreen_MBA

Just now, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Have you noticed there seems to be a lot of grad transfers available this year?  May I just never paid that much attention in the past.  Big time players as well.  QB's jumping ship if they don't have a starting opportunity at a Big Time school.  any out there we should be looking at?

Any and all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

Recent experience with me says maybe one or two per year, but not to bet the house on them. 

I think Alec Morris was an anomaly this year and not the norm at least when it comes to QBs transferring to CUSA. La Tech has had immense success with grad transfers recently and WKU's qb is a transfer although not from a P5. UTEP had a qb transfer in from A$M who is on the cowboys practice squad who gave the miners a few good years by their standards. I wouldn't expect most P5 transfers coming to CUSA to have the same impact as Morris has here.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 5

39 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think Alec Morris was an anomaly this year and not the norm at least when it comes to QBs transferring to CUSA. La Tech has had immense success with grad transfers recently and WKU's qb is a transfer although not from a P5. UTEP had a qb transfer in from A$M who is on the cowboys practice squad who gave the miners a few good years by their standards. I wouldn't expect most P5 transfers coming to CUSA to have the same impact as Morris has here.

I agree. We at UNT need to take just about any grad transfer QB we can get our hands on. I don't like the rule, but the rule is what it is right now and we need to play along with it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

I guess an explanation has been found

(Too subtle?)

While it was an elevating program, Ray Rice's departure knocked it down a notch

(Tho they've gone bowling like 9 times since 2005)

Edited by Aldo

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I agree. We at UNT need to take just about any grad transfer QB we can get our hands on. I don't like the rule, but the rule is what it is right now and we need to play along with it. 

Why don't you like the rule? It gives guys who have sat on the bench for 4 years a chance to play in their last year of eligibility while rewarding them for graduating. They can then get at least a year of a masters program paid for. I don't see any harm in that, unless you mean transferring in general I guess...

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Why don't you like the rule? It gives guys who have sat on the bench for 4 years a chance to play in their last year of eligibility while rewarding them for graduating. They can then get at least a year of a masters program paid for. I don't see any harm in that, unless you mean transferring in general I guess...

22 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I call it College Football Free Agency

^^ This is exactly what it is. And there was a report sent out last year and less than 15% of graduate transfers actually complete masters degree. It's literally free agent swapping. And there is no doubt that is increases the odds of money being exchanged for 1 year of service albeit straight to player or parents. Stidham right now has no telling what kind of cash (or other incentives) offers from Auburn, ATM and Florida. It's ridiculous to think this is for the education of the student when evidence suggests otherwise. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

To me there's a big difference between a transfer and a grad transfer. Some of those you mentioned were transfers. Actually I think a lot of grad transfers are like Morris, they're okay but not program changers. We're still rebuilding, I want young QBs, not one year guys. 

43 minutes ago, Aldo said:

as it should be. if UNT didn't suit my needs I'd have gone elsewhere. an athletic scholarship is renewable each year, so if a player deems his current situation isn't best for his future by all means he should be allowed to move on and better himself. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

I personally like it.  Coaches always seem to get a pass when they are the nothing but snakes and dictators.  Make no mistake about it but college athletics is a business especially FB and MBB because they are involved in so much revenue in several different areas.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, meanrob said:

To me there's a big difference between a transfer and a grad transfer. Some of those you mentioned were transfers. Actually I think a lot of grad transfers are like Morris, they're okay but not program changers. We're still rebuilding, I want young QBs, not one year guys. 

LaTech started grad transfers at QB in 2014 and 2015 going 9-5 and 9-4 respectively after going 4-8 in 2013. After losing a bunch of key starters last year including a first round DT who now plays for the Panthers, Kenneth Dixon (RB), and others, they finally started a QB this year who was not a transfer and he has lit it up! Record is 8-4 so far but if they beat WKU they can finish 9-4 with a chance to go 10-4 if they win their bowl game too. I agree that it's better to get 2 or 3 year transfers if you're going to go that route but a seasoned grad transfer gives your young guys a chance to develop. Neither method is wrong in my opinion but if the right guy wants to wear green, I don't think we're in a position to say "no."

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

LaTech started grad transfers at QB in 2014 and 2015 going 9-5 and 9-4 respectively after going 4-8 in 2013. After losing a bunch of key starters last year including a first round DT who now plays for the Panthers, Kenneth Dixon (RB), and others, they finally started a QB this year who was not a transfer and he has lit it up! Record is 8-4 so far but if they beat WKU they can finish 9-4 with a chance to go 10-4 if they win their bowl game too. I agree that it's better to get 2 or 3 year transfers if you're going to go that route but a seasoned grad transfer gives your young guys a chance to develop. Neither method is wrong in my opinion but if the right guy wants to wear green, I don't think we're in a position to say "no."

You make good points but i think we are in a position to say no. A lot of young guys played this year. I'd hate to stunt their growth by sitting on the bench while some one year player comes in. I'm not totally against it, but I'd pick and choose with caution. 

43 minutes ago, meanrob said:

You make good points but i think we are in a position to say no. A lot of young guys played this year. I'd hate to stunt their growth by sitting on the bench while some one year player comes in. I'm not totally against it, but I'd pick and choose with caution. 

UNT should not say no to anyone... these Grad-Transfers add depth and are here on a 1-yr deal basically... Also, we need more talent no matter what

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

UNT should not say no to anyone... these Grad-Transfers add depth and are here on a 1-yr deal basically... Also, we need more talent no matter what

I would rather see us get younger. Two different schools of thought. Whichever makes us better in the long run works for me.

• Upvote 4

While we are at it, since G5 is looked at differently and has to play by different rules at the kiddie table, I suggest allowing transferring from P5 to G5 without sitting out. You dont have to sit out for transferring down, just up and there is no denying G5s are seen as a step down by the P5s.

16 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

While we are at it, since G5 is looked at differently and has to play by different rules at the kiddie table, I suggest allowing transferring from P5 to G5 without sitting out. You dont have to sit out for transferring down, just up and there is no denying G5s are seen as a step down by the P5s.

Seems like this creates an additional unwelcomed recruiting disadvantage for the G5 schools.   "Well, son, if you go to this P5 school and don't like it, you can always transfer out to a G5 school.  If you start at that G5 school, you're stuck there unless you sit out a year or get your degree."

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

13 hours ago, meanrob said:

I would rather see us get younger. Two different schools of thought. Whichever makes us better in the long run works for me.

It seems that line of thinking is becoming out of date in our current college football landscape.  We have seen from Littrell and other first year coaches that you must pull all stops to get wins in your first year.  This shows recruits the momentum you are creating and reassures them they are going to a winner. Then we have a shot at the younger better talent.