Is it too late?

emmitt01

When we make the HC hire, and I hope it is sooner than later, I know that many of you will let your optimism flag fly and the "this guy should be able to bring in the kind of recruits we haven't been able to attract before" posts will pop up.  I can't say that a little optimism wouldn't do this place good (God knows we need it as a fan base) but I wonder if it would just lead to more disappointment.  Hear me out...

It is the end of November and we are three months from signing day.  We just fired a dumpster fire of a coach and, likely, a LOT of his assistants will be let go when the new guy comes in.  I can't imagine that the groundwork has been laid with a whole lot of quality recruits (just look at the number of walk-ons this staff has relied on for a picture of their recruiting prowess) and, even if it has, the coach that laid it will probably not be on this new staff. 

So, is it too late to expect that we will see the kind of recruiting class that begins the turn around?  I fear that 2016 will be more of the same while a new coach tries to correct the culture that has been the issue at this university for decades...that's if RV doesn't bring in yet another retread who wants some head coaching job, ANY head coaching job, to get the experience.   

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

There is hope that the new guy can instill some real pride and enthusiasm into the current team and get better results out of them.  An offense that is not so stale might just get things going, as the defense won't have to camp out on the field as much.  Just hoping.

• Upvote 2

I don't think we can really set expectations for next season until we see what kind of recruiting class the new coach can cobble together. Even then, he will need some time to develop the players for his offensive and defensive schemes.

This could work both ways.  A new coach and staff who have built relationships with recruits, coaches and parents over the last year may be able to bring some of them our way. 

If it were Briles think of all of the Baylor leftovers he could bring who wanted to play for him but were a step too slow, etc. for an offer from Baylor.   

• Upvote 2

Culture starts at the top. With RV still here and involved in the hire, I expect the hire to be underwhelming from the get go and for us to be back at this same place in 4 years, hopefully with a new AD and the chance to finally get it right.

We are in the middle of an RV induced drought, and it's gonna last another 4 years.

• Upvote 6

Just remember that the first McCarney and Dodge classes were just as good as the last one and in Dodge's case probably a lot better.   Most new coaches usually do get a bump in recruiting no matter who they are, McCarney was a glaring exception.  

Frankly I don't think it matters much if all the current players NT is recruiting are lost.  The sad truth is with NT current standard of recruiting, a late start won't matter that much.  With few exceptions, NT classes have been composed of players with no other FB options than G5 bottom feeders and that won't be hard to duplicate.  Most of those players are going to be just as available in February as they are today.  

• Upvote 4

A lot of the best talent at our level opens up in Dec so I think we will be ok.  The first class is the toughest though.  Biggest issue is QB.  If we have a coach who can help us land a top flight QB it changes our program day 1.

I guess we will soon see if all the folks that promised to walk away if RV hired the next coach will follow through.

It should be an interesting 7 days. 

I can tell you I used to have 27 buddies going to games with me, I now have 5 of those left, the vast majority of those that walked away had told me long ago they are done until RV is gone. Three of the remaining 5 including me are reducing our tickets to one season ticket between us now unless RV goes away. So RV has been disliked by many in and out of my group for a very long time. None even came out for the new stadium. They will come out to tailgate but will not go in the stadium until RV is gone. I am getting there and I understand their dislike more and more of RV. Anywhere else RV would have been sent packing years ago.

I can tell you I used to have 27 buddies going to games with me, I now have 5 of those left, the vast majority of those that walked away had told me long ago they are done until RV is gone. Three of the remaining 5 including me are reducing our tickets to one season ticket between us now unless RV goes away. So RV has been disliked by many in and out of my group for a very long time. None even came out for the new stadium. They will come out to tailgate but will not go in the stadium until RV is gone. I am getting there and I understand their dislike more and more of RV. Anywhere else RV would have been sent packing years ago.

17 > 27

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

there is ways a bump in recruiting with a new coach, if we go with a young offensive minded coach from a P5 I think that bump might be more of a spike

This. I see no reason we can't get players at least kind of close to what Chad Morris was getting last class after getting hired. Maybe not quite that level, but that was a huge, huge jump from what June Jones had going. If we get a good recruiting coach he should be able to sign a class with players whose offer lists are collectively better than any Mccarney class outside of 2014. Because that's really not saying much.

I'm not expecting an all-star class filled with difference makers. I'm jut looking for a good solid crop of guys who all have at least 2 other FBS offers, and 2-4 difference makers who can become all-conference guys by year 3 or 4 of the new coach.

• Upvote 2

With the amount of money involved in the cost of a new football coach I think it is common practice for the president of the university to be very involved in the hiring process. I also remember the optimism when Dodge was hired with about 5,000 at his first spring game.[I have slept since then, so don't hold me to that number]. We are so ready for a winner that I hope we will pull together in support of our new coach because he has a really tough row to hoe.

• Upvote 1

A lot of the best talent at our level opens up in Dec so I think we will be ok.  The first class is the toughest though.  Biggest issue is QB.  If we have a coach who can help us land a top flight QB it changes our program day 1.

I would bring 2-3 in, all freshman. 

With the amount of money involved in the cost of a new football coach I think it is common practice for the president of the university to be very involved in the hiring process. I also remember the optimism when Dodge was hired with about 5,000 at his first spring game.[I have slept since then, so don't hold me to that number]. We are so ready for a winner that I hope we will pull together in support of our new coach because he has a really tough row to hoe.

Unless the new coach turns out to be someone that is perceived by the fans to be a misfit here, I predict he will get tons of support and a long leash. That does not mean that I think people will support RV too; IMO most will clearly delineate their support.  I do hope that if Smatty is doing the hire he will find some way to communicate that fact.  Secret handshake, nudge-nudge-wink-wink, etc., or even just stepping up and saying so...whatever. 

• Upvote 1

Unless the new coach turns out to be someone that is perceived by the fans to be a misfit here, I predict he will get tons of support and a long leash. That does not mean that I think people will support RV too; IMO most will clearly delineate their support.  I do hope that if Smatty is doing the hire he will find some way to communicate that fact.  Secret handshake, nudge-nudge-wink-wink, etc., or even just stepping up and saying so...whatever. 

I can't wait to see what some gif maestro does with that.

I don't fancy myself as a .gif maestro but I do like to look for ones that convey a thought or elaborate on a statement. Smatty may react like this:

james-franco-wink.gif

Or, he may react like this:

oh-please.gif

Or, like this:

200.gif

But he will piss a lot of people off severely if he reacts like this:

fart-150x150.gif

200.gif

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 2

When we make the HC hire, and I hope it is sooner than later, I know that many of you will let your optimism flag fly and the "this guy should be able to bring in the kind of recruits we haven't been able to attract before" posts will pop up.  I can't say that a little optimism wouldn't do this place good (God knows we need it as a fan base) but I wonder if it would just lead to more disappointment.  Hear me out...

It is the end of November and we are three months from signing day.  We just fired a dumpster fire of a coach and, likely, a LOT of his assistants will be let go when the new guy comes in.  I can't imagine that the groundwork has been laid with a whole lot of quality recruits (just look at the number of walk-ons this staff has relied on for a picture of their recruiting prowess) and, even if it has, the coach that laid it will probably not be on this new staff. 

So, is it too late to expect that we will see the kind of recruiting class that begins the turn around?  I fear that 2016 will be more of the same while a new coach tries to correct the culture that has been the issue at this university for decades...that's if RV doesn't bring in yet another retread who wants some head coaching job, ANY head coaching job, to get the experience.   

I just think you laid out every reason for why the fanbase needs to understand what lies ahead for UNT next season. Recruiting with such a short window for the new staff, installing an offense that should be built for today's game with a roster full of players built for the exact opposite kind of offense, and having no FBS QB on the roster doesn't add up to a big turnaround. Getting to 3 wins would be a huge improvement. Think Dodge's first year here, as well as Morris's first season at SMU.

• Upvote 1

This. I see no reason we can't get players at least kind of close to what Chad Morris was getting last class after getting hired. Maybe not quite that level, but that was a huge, huge jump from what June Jones had going. If we get a good recruiting coach he should be able to sign a class with players whose offer lists are collectively better than any Mccarney class outside of 2014. Because that's really not saying much.

I'm not expecting an all-star class filled with difference makers. I'm jut looking for a good solid crop of guys who all have at least 2 other FBS offers, and 2-4 difference makers who can become all-conference guys by year 3 or 4 of the new coach.

There is no reason that NT can't best SMU in recruiting.  They have a slight conference advantage and a big name advantage, but I think NT could with the right hire and a few years be the place to be among Texas G5's.  

A no name coach without Texas ties, and it will obviously take longer to boost recruiting.  However, I don't think it is as impossible as Mac made it seem.  Houston is out of sight right now, but frankly anyone should be competitive with the rest of the regions's G5's in the first couple of years.  

I was just having fun poking the bear.

I don't doubt that people have left due to RV and more are likely to follow until a change is made or our sports teams start winning consistently.

Even though I've been there in body this year, I've spent zero on merchandise or apparel. I didn't invite people to tailgate, and I didn't try to encourage others to attend games or buy season tickets. All of that Is money lost for this program.

This off-season, I will look to sell my club seats for next year for the cost of season tickets plus the MGC donation requirement. That will let someone try out club seats for a year while still allowing me to give zero money next year and retain my club seats. 

It will also take a potential club seat purchase away from UNT. 

This is just the consequences from one person. Kingdl's post shows you the consequences from his old group, which is basically non-existent  anymore. 

That is the effect of keeping RV around, along with bad coaching hire after bad coaching hire. 

But 17 people are his friend, so around he stays. To the detriment of everything UNT.

• Upvote 2