Starting QB emerges during North Texas spring drills

Harry

If the season were to start today, Andrew McNulty would be North Texas starting quarterback after pulling away from six others who took snaps during the Mean Greens 15 spring practices.

McNulty is definitely our best, coach Dan McCarney said. If he continues to do what hes done, hes our guy. Hes definitely our starter right now.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/football/article18613800.html#storylink=cpy

Not a good sign for the upcoming season in which we play 2 whore games, only 5 home games, and consequentially a much tougher schedule than last year (thanks RV).

The least I've been excited about UNT football in a looong time.

Hopefully the boys can overcome the huge challenge laid at their feet by their very own AD and prove me wrong.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

Remember boys, Derek's junior season was poor BUT he grew up and was a leader his senior year. I remember in DTs junior year a lot of mistimed, quick throws that didn't show up in his senior year. Let's give Little Mac some support and encouragement. Maybe an HOD Bowl coming up, my early prediction.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The first two games of the season are critical...not only for the 2015 season but for the momentum of the program.

- Win both and excitement will build again.

- Lose both and we may see more people attend the spring game Saturday than will show up for Portland State 10/10

That being the case, give me the guy early on who's at least been in the fire more than the others.

• Upvote 2

Remember boys, Derek's junior season was poor BUT he grew up and was a leader his senior year. I remember in DTs junior year a lot of mistimed, quick throws that didn't show up in his senior year. Let's give Little Mac some support and encouragement. Maybe an HOD Bowl coming up, my early prediction.

... and then we crashed and burned the following season.

This is the only thing that gives me any sliver of hope for McNulty @ QB next season.

Otherwise, I'm betting on Smith, & I hope he can play.

This is the only thing that gives me any sliver of hope for McNulty @ QB next season.

Otherwise, I'm betting on Smith, & I hope he can play.

i have hope because of the major upgrade at RB. upgrades at WR, and even if its mcnulty, an upgrade at QB and an upgrade to the offensive system with the fast tempo.

I'm also excited about RB & WR (and TE)

You excited about the O-Line though? Big ol' question mark for me.

OLine was such a disappointment last year I don't know that we can be much worse. I think injuries really hurt us.

OLine was such a disappointment last year I don't know that we can be much worse. I think injuries really hurt us.

I think 8 and 9 man defensive fronts hurt us far more than any injuries.

When the other team has less than zero respect for your ability and willingness to throw the football, it's going to be VERY hard to run the ball.

I don't think that was last year's Oline's fault.

I also don't see that changing this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

im uncertain about the oline, but i dont see it being a big drop off from last season. last season was not good. can it get worse? yes. but that would mean we have guys out there that probably dont deserve to be on a D1 field.

ybarbo was hurt, but had to start games, cause of depth issues. mckinney was borderline D1 talent. his speed and weight hurt him. he was late on blocks a lot. he was a D1 reserve. capable of coming in and doing a good job while he is fresh. once he is tired, its over.

the dreams of having a smash mouth offensive line seems to be over. if we couldnt pull it off with 4 returning vets, it just wont be done. now we seem to have a system designed for the talent and team. we are young and have some depth, so we are going with the hurry up. looks like our strategy this year is rotating fresh guys in and trying to wear out the other teams defense.

that quick pace will have an impact on our own defense to. we will need depth and have to rotate guys on our defense too.

I think 8 and 9 man defensive fronts hurt us far more than any injuries.

When the other team has less than zero respect for your ability and willingness to throw the football, it's going to be VERY hard to run the ball.

I don't think that was last year's Oline's fault.

I also don't see that changing this year.

you keep harping on this, but teams beat us when we put 8 and 9 in the box. its possible to have success against it.

poor old UNT...the only team in america that faced 8 and 9 man fronts....

its a lot of football out there to watch. not just UNT. i see 8 and 9 men in the box all weekend during football season. see horrible qbs every weekend. teams are still winning, and going to bowls.

i have most of the games on DVR. still not seeing the 8 and 9 man fronts some are claiming. teams are keying on the run, but that is due to play calling. the audibles and changing plays that allows the defense to sneak up. and changing the play to a predictable one.

Let's not overreact here. I think we all knew this was coming. Chico has made a living with quarterbacks with similar stat lines. And like many of you have mentioned, I think we will be better at the skilled positions than last year so McNulty will be surrounded with better talent. I think Wilson gives a huge, big play spark that we severely lacked a season ago and our receiving corp, while young, sounds like they are very talented. Lastly, lets not put this all at the feet of our quarterback. We had a rough season last year because we downgraded across the board, not just at quarterback. Our defense took a huge step back and our offensive line severely underachieved. With this schedule, we may only win 6 or 7 games at best, buy I truly believe will be much improved from a year ago. If anything else, knowing who will be under center to start this season gives this team a chance to focus on other areas and not focus strictly on one of 22 starters.

Edited by StealthEagle84