DT

Uniforms

Defense's tackling and aggressiveness

Chancellor

Receivers as a whole

Play Calling

Meeting Ron Shanklin's widow.

Uniforms

Rollins, Kidsy, Lewis, Lajaylin and the other youngsters that contributed and looked good.

Biggest complaint: why can't we get the ref's mic fixed? Three years in and it still doesn't work.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4

DT

Uniforms

Defense's tackling and aggressiveness

Chancellor

Receivers as a whole

Play Calling

Meeting Ron Shanklin's widow.

Uniforms

Rollins, Kidsy, Lewis, Lajaylin and the other youngsters that contributed and looked good.

Biggest complaint: why can't we get the ref's mic fixed? Three years in and it still doesn't work.

you forgot Dejon Williams

• Upvote 1

Derek Thompson going 20-23 for 249

Secondary tackling looked improved.

Bellazin, Polk, Boutwell and Abbey and the entire front 7 contolled the LOS all night long.

We threw over the middle several times.

Everyone not named Brelan Chancellor caught the ball real well.

Chancellor averaging over 30 yards on returns.

Lots of young players getting time.

Our team looked conditioned all four quarters.. Good job coach Wintrich.

Lots of icey cold water to buy all four quarters.

Emmitts' and KingDL's tailgating parties.

SilverEagle's MistyMate machine.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

Derek Thompson going 20-23 for 249

Secondary tackling looked improved.

Bellazin, Polk, Boutwell and Abbey and the entire front 7 contolled the LOS all night long.

We threw over the middle several times.

Everyone not named Brelan Chancellor caught the ball real well.

Chancellor averaging over 30 yards on returns.

Lots of young players getting time.

Our team looked conditioned all four quarters.. Good job coach Wintrich.

Lots of icey cold water to buy all four quarters.

Emmitts' and KingDL's tailgating parties.

SilverEagle's MistyMate machine.

Rick

Actually you should lead with this one as it was your first "like.....maybe even love" of the day.

And now mine.

#1. Who the hell was that guy wearing #7?....and I'm not talking about stats.

I couldn't believe the difference in DT's play last night vs years past. No one has commented on it, but it appears to me that he has modified his throwing motion and his release was noticeably quicker than ever before. There were several throws over the middle that were absolute lasers, and he did the throws without any hesitation. This was not like the old Thompson. THIS needs to continue.

The play of the receivers was VERY IMPRESSIVE. More targets and more play makers. Harris #9) made some VERY difficult catches last night. He caught at least two of DT's lasers while two defenders were practically climbing all over him. Great concentration!

Pleasant (#17) has never impressed me when I've seen him in practice or scrimmages. Last night he made some good catches, but even better, he got some good YAK as well. He looked and performed like someone who has been starting every game.

Caldwell has always caught my eye in practice. He's one of the scrappiest receivers on the team. It was good to see them using him coming out of the backfield.

Smith looked great as well. He's going to make a lot of clutch catches this year. Like Caldwell he's a scrapper.

Our OL kept our QB's safe all night. But they didn't dominate the Idaho D-line on running plays. And what I'm talking about is those 3rd and 2 or 4th and 2 where everyone knows your going to go up the middle, but you "impose your will" anyway. That didn't happen enough last night.

Our interior D-line was real steady and (for the most part) kept their running game up the middle in check, but our DE's were dominating......especially #44 on your program...Mr. Bellazin.

Our secondary got beat too much early in the game. Like FFR, I thought the tackling was improved. But what I want to see more than anything else is passes being broken up. When you are tackling down field....someone has beaten you.

Byrd continues to show me more speed (and moves) than I've ever seen from him. Jimmerson looked good as did Pegram. The one that caught my eye at the end of the game was Rex Rollins (#20). He has some wheels, but I would like to see how he performs against a fresh defense.

• Upvote 1

I'd just like to see what he has to say now about Chancellor returning punts.

It's easy when the opposing kicker makes the decisions easy by kicking low line drive punts for 55 yards.

It's a good start, but again, we played a team that was us in 2008. Lets hold off on the glorification until we see what happens next week.

Like: DT's performance, secondary's performance, consistent pass rush, DW getting on-field time as it is soberingly clear that he is the only option after DT, Terrell's performance, Zachary Orr's performance (which is always so good that we have just come to expect it, causing us to overlook just how much he means to this team).

Dislikes: running game was sporadic against a bad defense, QB depth (we have none), special teams still a mystery (can we kick a freaking extra point??). Lets all hope the Ohio game doesn't come down to a field goal, because I have zero confidence that we could make one. And I'm not the only one. Notice how we went for it on multiple 4Th downs while e were in field goal range? Mac knows it, also. If we don't fix this 8 year and running problem, we will not be going to a bowl or be .500 in CUSA play.

Next week will tell us much more about what we can expect from this team in conference play.

Edited by UNT90

Dislikes: running game was sporadic against a bad defense, QB depth (we have none), special teams still a mystery (can we kick a freaking extra point??). Lets all hope the Ohio game doesn't come down to a field goal, because I have zero confidence that we could make one. And I'm not the only one. Notice how we went for it on multiple 4Th downs while e were in field goal range? Mac knows it, also. If we don't fix this 8 year and running problem, we will not be going to a bowl or be .500 in CUSA play.

I thought DJW played really well. I'm hoping that Zach Paul is our new FG kicker, kicking PAT's should be like riding a bike with training wheels. Kick the damn ball a mile high and make sure it goes 13 yds. 13 yds is all I'm asking for!

DT looked good. He did that a few times last year too. I want to see it consistently. So, let's see it 3 games in a row.

I loved how many receivers touched the ball.

Our defense looked great. Our line put pressure on the backs all day and there weren't a lot of holes to work with.

The secondary held their own fairly well and our linebackers were outstanding.

Things I want improved/to see differently....

The ref mic.

I would love to see retractable netting for the uprights in front of the jumbo tron. I think the nets take away from the HD tron.

I would like to see some music about texas- play deep in the heart or the yellow rose, or some other texas themed song to promote the state pride we have since we are North Texas. WVU has country roads they play... Alabama has Sweet Home... we have plenty to work with.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I would like to see some music about texas- play deep in the heart or the yellow rose, or some other texas themed song to promote the state pride we have since we are North Texas. WVU has country roads they play... Alabama has Sweet Home... we have plenty to work with.

I'd like the GB to replace "Hey Baby" with "Pretty Woman" at the end of the 3rd quarter. Just about every other school plays "Hey Baby". We need to show off Roy Orbison's music! It would even be OK if they wanted to play "Pretty Woman" Van Halen style.

On a related note - the GB had uniform (to use a term) colored khaki pants (shorts?)! I know that won't satisfy Silver much, but it's progress!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I liked the playcalling and I was very surprised with the different sets, creativity, and aggressiveness. I doubt any of us would have predicted this.

I liked DTs performance and wondered if the playcalling held him back last year. We were the aggressor yesterday, so I still wonder how we will look against even an average defense.

After seen dajon, it was the highlight of my day and had me looking forward to the rest of the season. Im sure he has more to learn as far as reading defenses, but I have no doubts if he has to step in. he should be solid at #2 and get most of the backup reps.

The offense looks like it has been opened up. They could do even more with dajon in there. Im not caring about him being a true freshman, from what I saw, with a few more weeks of experience, we should feel confident that if he had to play, we could beat a team with comparable talent.

• Upvote 2

I'd like the GB to replace "Hey Baby" with "Pretty Woman" at the end of the 3rd quarter. Just about every other school plays "Hey Baby". We need to show off Roy Orbison's music! It would even be OK if they wanted to play "Pretty Woman" Van Halen style.

On a related note - the GB had uniform (to use a term) colored khaki pants (shorts?)! I know that won't satisfy Silver much, but it's progress!

You're right. The only uni issue I've had with them is their stupid "enron" logo that they use on their uni's. I don't care if they wear baseball caps and polos, as long as they match......especially in hot weather.

What I care about is their showmanship.....or lack thereof. Their entrance during half-time was better. At least they used their drums (instead of a drum rim-tap) to get them on the field. But their pre-game entrance(? I don't call wandering out on the field an "entrance") and pre-game show pretty much sucked.....as usual. What they do for pre-game is still perfunctory. AND THAT STUPID "CAW" IN THE FIGHT SONG HAS TO GO.

Edited by SilverEagle

+1 to all this, except would prefer the rocking (and widely covered) "I drove all night", although Orbison did not write it. But I would never complain about "In dreams" soaring out of the east stands. Edited by eulessismore

DT looked good. He did that a few times last year too. I want to see it consistently. So, let's see it 3 games in a row.

I loved how many receivers touched the ball.

Our defense looked great. Our line put pressure on the backs all day and there weren't a lot of holes to work with.

The secondary held their own fairly well and our linebackers were outstanding.

Things I want improved/to see differently....

The ref mic.

I would love to see retractable netting for the uprights in front of the jumbo tron. I think the nets take away from the HD tron.

Agreed all around, and that's a good idea about using Texas songs. We used to play "God Blessed Texas" over the PA after wins at Fouts. It seems like that would be a good one to arrange for marching band.

I liked the return of the chant portion of the fight song. Hopefully people can handle themselves with it this year. I'd hate to see it go away again. (side note: I'm also not a fan of the "CAW" during it.)

They can't. MF'n Eagles could be clearly heard across the field.

As as for Hey Baby. NOTHING breaks momentum more than that song. If she ain't your girl by this point, quit asking. At this point it's just stalking.

I want to alter this topic slightly to 'who I liked'...

Derek Thompson - No doubt, had Derek played last year the way he played last night, there wouldn't be a quarterback controversy.

Dajon Williams - He came in against an exhausted Vandal team but you could tell by his mechanics and decisions that there will be no concern about the quarterback position for the next four years.

Rex Rollins - As DW, Rollins came in against a tired Idaho group but exhibited speed, vision, and determination. We seem to have five running backs who each bring something to the table. Coach Perry just needs to have the vision to have the right player on the field for what we're trying to accomplish.

Brandin Byrd - Maybe his best game in a Mean Green uniform?

Darvin Kidsy - Nice debut. Terrific speed with the ability to take a hit. I also saw him throw a couple of good downfield blocks that enabled our receivers to get more yards after catch.

Darius Terrell - OK, I'm basing this largely on one touchdown catch that should be on any highlight reel but it was picture-perfect. What a grab!

Brelan Chancellor - I haven't questioned his receiving ability but this was the returner of 2011. He wiped out last year's total punt return yards with one classic return. Dear Lord, keep him healthy.

Fred Scott - I;m sure we were all concerned about the abilities of Zach Orr's replacement but I fear no more. If transfer Anthony? Wallace is not the answer, Fred Scott could be. He was highly rated as a fullback but with little mention as a linebacker. I believe that Scott starts next year; if not in the middle then on the wings. Number 38 looked good out there.

Jarrien Roberts - I was afraid that Roberts was buried so deep in the lineup that he might never see the field. Well he did and all that he did was record two sacks in his short tenure.

Lairamie Lee - In addition to being the headiest db on the field, Lee has joined Marcus Trice in the takeaway department. He caused two of the three fumbles by Idaho and recovered two, including one that he both caused and recovered.

There were plenty more good performances that were up to the standards that I expected from them but the above exceeded my expectations.

Edited by GrayEagle

Liked

- the win! we literally turned up the heat...the 40-6 win was terrific

- tailgate experience gets better each year

- the throwbacks neck down were spot on and way cool

- the 16K -17K that were there...stayed until the end.

Disliked

- speaker volume. Apogee has an outstanding sound system, but holy moly can we dial it back a bit? say from 11 to 8.

• Upvote 1

Having traveled across Arkansas and a good portion of Texas to attend the game, I am happy to say it was a great experience. That was not a powerful opponent but in the past they would have had success against our defense anyway. This NT defense played really well. The offense has some great players and executed better than I have seen in a long time.

Much appreciation for anyone who was over on the sunny side!

My wife was happy there is funnel cake but would like to have better funnel cake.

The band looks bigger and hey they played YYZ and Carry On. I cannot fault such a band.

• Upvote 1