UTSA Fans predict C-USA wins and losses

Harry

The funny thing is that you can try and give away tickets and people still wouldnt go see the "ALMIGHTY MEAN GREEN".....

We don't give away tickets with Happy Meals. Just doesn't build loyal fans because their is so little personal investment. Just proves how desperate the folks in SA are for any type of football.

Hear me when I say this, and take it to heart so it won't shock you, your "fanbase" will evaporate when you start getting a mudhole stomped in you and KFC grows tired of promoting boneless original recipe.

Your school and team are the punchline to the joke "You know you're failing when you fall behind or lose to...

I guess yall would know from experience right.

2012: 4-8

2011: 5-7

2010: 3-9

2009: 2-11

2008: 1-11

2007: 2-10

2006: 3-9

2005: 2-9...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You can keep going until you get to 100 records with us.

Sadly, you guys stop at 3.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Whats sad is that it took you 100 years to get to where youre at. Us, we got an invite to the Belt, CUSA and the MWC after 1 year in FCS. Sucks doesn't it ?

1) Damn good timing since the conferences you named had to replace members moving up a level. Plus...you're in SA. Growing fast, no competition, TV money...

2) Did I mention you're in San Antonio?

3) Michigan football was around for a long time before losing to Appy State. Regardless of this game (and let's face it, the last decade) we do have a decent history. Not Michigan level history, and not recent, but we know we're the poster child for "decent mid major who's still a mid major". But again, we do have history, whereas UTSA is a fairly unknown variable, having not fully competed at this level at any point in its brief period of competition.

As to the post showing our recent record, yup, we know. But go back a bit farther and it gets better. Farther than that, and it starts to get really good. But there's no real comparison here, as there isn't relevant data on UTSA until the season that is about to start.

As you pointed out that UTSA has a decent business program, let me use a business model approach here, as if selling the idea to potential shareholders. "We feel that with the same resources and ability conveyed against low-level competition, a few months of fine-tuning with a bit of new blood should make us instantly competitive at a higher level." It's a really ballsy claim, and some people may go for it, but it's also one that runs the risk of sounding over-confident. But you may want to get used to something North Texans hear a lot of...maybe, or maybe not, we'll see.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if all of our geographically close competition provided us with a whole slate of in-state and adjacent-state rivals. To have La Tech, Rice, UTSA, and UTEP all become exciting, well-attended games wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Excitement, attendance, media coverage, season ticket sales, etc. are all part of the same gestalt and building a conference where we all benefit from that is precisely the reason we have conferences in the first place, n'est-ce pas?

• Upvote 2

Whats sad is that it took you 100 years to get to where youre at. Us, we got an invite to the Belt, CUSA and the MWC after 1 year in FCS. Sucks doesn't it ?

That's really cool that your city is so shitty that its taken them so long to get a football team and that they're so desperate they're loosely clinging to an FCS startup!

Here in DFW, there's three other football teams to compete against. In Houston, there's three football teams total. In San Antonio, y'all are casual Cowboys and Texans fans with no team of your own...boohoo...

So that's why people were like "Oooh, the UT Junior College has a team! Beep beep!"

Edited by meangreener

Killing 2 Birds With One Stone :bling:

(1) I really, really, really do think, though, that our timeline to get back to our winning ways will be so much better than this ex CUSA school's multi-years losing football seasons prior to their first year as a CUSA member and as seen in the link below:

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/teams/smu.shtml

correcamino

Bald Eagle

• photo-41917.jpg?_r=1374196101
  • Members
  • member.gif
  • 61 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:08 PM

You beat a solid ULL team, I'll give you that. But other than that your 2012 season is not very noteworthy. Same goes for most of your other seasons in recent years.

Our season is nothing special either since we played a weak schedule but that's my point...we're both likely bottom half teams in our division this season. There's no huge gap between us so why puff your chest out at UTSA as if there is ?

(2) You really do believe that which I've highlighted in blue? :no:

The most respected of all college football magazine gurus, ie, Phil Steele (and his magazine's extensive research staff) hardly share your opinion about North Texas at all as far as where the Mean Green will finish. Some of Phil Steele's staff even have North Texas going to a bowl game in 2013, ie, just like we did our first year in the Sun Belt Conference and the next 3 seasons thereafter.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Again I would hope that UT at San Antonio would be more focused on their first opponent New Mexico who frankly will be a lot tougher to beat that NMSU was. Bob Davie is a good coach and I expect them to be improved. How about focusing on the Mountain West opponent you open the season with instead of a conference game in November? Let's hope your team represents better on the field than Incorrectcamino represents your fanbase!

Again I would hope that UT at San Antonio would be more focused on their first opponent New Mexico who frankly will be a lot tougher to beat that NMSU was. Bob Davie is a good coach and I expect them to be improved. How about focusing on the Mountain West opponent you open the season with instead of a conference game in November? Let's hope your team represents better on the field than Incorrectcamino represents your fanbase!

Yeah, because your fans have been gracious hosts. lol

You attack my school, I'll attack back. I had no problem with UNT fans when I initially signed up until I saw numerous fans claim theyre "too good" to have UTSA as a rival. Nothing I've said so far is false, you guys may think you're relevant and important in the state of Texas (lol at comparing yourself to the Steelers) but nobody else does. Unfortunately the truth hurts and that's why I'm getting all this backlash.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh, I don't think many would argue that we are relevant in the state of Texas. The deal is UTSA is even more irrelevant right now.

I don't blame UTSA fans getting mad at us. I just have no clue why we're even talking about the Roadrunners. Until the week we play them, they really deserve no more attention than any other opponent on the schedule. If they become our rival in a generation, fine. As of right now they're just another school we play. I hate that so many NT fans getting so bent out of shape over these guys.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

1) Damn good timing since the conferences you named had to replace members moving up a level. Plus...you're in SA. Growing fast, no competition, TV money...

2) Did I mention you're in San Antonio?

3) Michigan football was around for a long time before losing to Appy State. Regardless of this game (and let's face it, the last decade) we do have a decent history. Not Michigan level history, and not recent, but we know we're the poster child for "decent mid major who's still a mid major". But again, we do have history, whereas UTSA is a fairly unknown variable, having not fully competed at this level at any point in its brief period of competition.

As to the post showing our recent record, yup, we know. But go back a bit farther and it gets better. Farther than that, and it starts to get really good. But there's no real comparison here, as there isn't relevant data on UTSA until the season that is about to start.

As you pointed out that UTSA has a decent business program, let me use a business model approach here, as if selling the idea to potential shareholders. "We feel that with the same resources and ability conveyed against low-level competition, a few months of fine-tuning with a bit of new blood should make us instantly competitive at a higher level." It's a really ballsy claim, and some people may go for it, but it's also one that runs the risk of sounding over-confident. But you may want to get used to something North Texans hear a lot of...maybe, or maybe not, we'll see.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if all of our geographically close competition provided us with a whole slate of in-state and adjacent-state rivals. To have La Tech, Rice, UTSA, and UTEP all become exciting, well-attended games wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Excitement, attendance, media coverage, season ticket sales, etc. are all part of the same gestalt and building a conference where we all benefit from that is precisely the reason we have conferences in the first place, n'est-ce pas?

You can be optimistic about your team all you want, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. We're optimistic about our team too.

That's not what I reply to, what I reply to is when your fans act as if that optimism is fact. MarineVet posted your recent records and they show that until all that potential and optimism translates onto the field UNT fan should stop puffing their chest. Certainly shouldn't be thinking it's too good to be rivals with anyone. Not that any of this applies to you since you seem pretty reasonable, just kind of explaining myself.

That's really cool that your city is so shitty that its taken them so long to get a football team and that they're so desperate they're loosely clinging to an FCS startup!

Here in DFW, there's three other football teams to compete against. In Houston, there's three football teams total. In San Antonio, y'all are casual Cowboys and Texans fans with no team of your own...boohoo...

So that's why people were like "Oooh, the UT Junior College has a team! Beep beep!"

San Antonio loves the Cowboys, the biggest Cowboys market outside of the DFW area if I'm not mistaken. There's plenty of UT fans too since Austin is only an hour away. No team that belongs to San Antonio but still plenty of competition.

You act like being the only football team in town is a bad thing too. Your hatred doesn't let you see that that's coupled with other reasons are exactly why UTSA has so much potential.

(2) You really do believe that which I've highlighted in blue? :no:

The most respected of all college football magazine gurus, ie, Phil Steele (and his magazine's extensive research staff) hardly share your opinion about North Texas at all as far as where the Mean Green will finish. Some of Phil Steele's staff even have North Texas going to a bowl game in 2013, ie, just like we did our first year in the Sun Belt Conference and the next 3 seasons thereafter.

Predictions and potential are nothing until they translate to the field. UNT hasn't sniffed a bowl game since 2004, so I'm sorry if I'm skeptical about your ability to reach a bowl game. Especially with shaky QB play, you have plenty of talent in other areas (except maybe the d-line with Abbe suspended) but this is an offensive conference and I think whether NT can keep up or not is a legit concern. I'm not ready to crown them just yet. Like you tell us, you have to earn that respect.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It could be rightfully argued that the Steelers wouldn't ever have had the famed history they do without our most esteemed player anchoring the Steel Curtain defense...

I was going to mention this but forgot...it was only a matter of time until someone did. We have a fairly impressive history, just not one seen by anyone born after 1990.

You can be optimistic about your team all you want, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. We're optimistic about our team too.

That's not what I reply to, what I reply to is when your fans act as if that optimism is fact. MarineVet posted your recent records and they show that until all that potential and optimism translates onto the field UNT fan should stop puffing their chest. Certainly shouldn't be thinking it's too good to be rivals with anyone. Not that any of this applies to you since you seem pretty reasonable, just kind of explaining myself.

San Antonio loves the Cowboys, the biggest Cowboys market outside of the DFW area if I'm not mistaken. There's plenty of UT fans too since Austin is only an hour away. No team that belongs to San Antonio but still plenty of competition.

You act like being the only football team in town is a bad thing too. Your hatred doesn't let you see that that's coupled with other reasons are exactly why UTSA has so much potential.

Predictions and potential are nothing until they translate to the field. UNT hasn't sniffed a bowl game since 2004, so I'm sorry if I'm skeptical about your ability to reach a bowl game. Especially with shaky QB play, you have plenty of talent in other areas (except maybe the d-line with Abbe suspended) but this is an offensive conference and I think whether NT can keep up or not is a legit concern. I'm not ready to crown them just yet. Like you tell us, you have to earn that respect.

He doesn't understand.

How cute.

Y'all are already in the process of bandwagons go to the Texans from the last time I was there...seems to me SA likes new and shiny things.

This point about New Mexico is a good one. It sounded odd hearing Soza talk about that game as a "taking care of business" game ahead of the Oklahoma St. game when asked at CUSA media days. Is UTSA potentially going to be favored ahead of that game?!

For fun: I really think the most consistent indicator of success is returning experience in the lines...especially OL. We had the top OL in the country last year in terms of sacks allowed...and a darn good running game. Nearly all of that returns and we have IMO many more OL skins on the wall than UTSAs. Lucky (or unlucky, depending on the outcome) for them, this is played on the field and not on a spreadsheet.

As far as I'm concerned, they can have Johnny Football taking snaps for them but he can't score if he's not on the field.

I don't see the pont of this pissing contest. Both of your o-lines and d-lines are tiny. We overpowered and manhandled UNT's line in both 2011 and 2012. We will easily overpower UTSA too.

Here is our starting o-line and d-line as a comparison. (This is as of August 3rd, our first practice)

LT - Harper 6'6 300

LG - Cloud 6'4 314

C - Redman 6'1 285

RG - Forsch 6'3 307

RT - Oragwu 6'3 324

Notice how our center is the only one under 6'3 and less than 300?

(We run a 3-4 again)

DT - Braswell 6'5 268

DT - Mbu 6'2 312

DT - Mark 6'3 288

Rush LB/Stand up DE - Eiland 6'2 236

Notice how our d-linemen are all 260+ save for Eiland for had to cut down in order to be a stand up end. It's a shame how UNT especially is having d-line troubles when their HC is supposedly a d-line guru.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 3

I don't see the pont of this pissing contest. Both of your o-lines and d-lines are tiny. We overpowered and manhandled UNT's line in both 2011 and 2012. We will easily overpower UTSA too.

Here is our starting o-line and d-line as a comparison. (This is as of August 3rd, our first practice)

LT - Harper 6'6 300

LG - Cloud 6'4 314

C - Redman 6'1 285

RG - Forsch 6'3 307

RT - Oragwu 6'3 324

(We run a 3-4 again)

DT - Braswell 6'5 268

DT - Mbu 6'2 312

DT - Mark 6'3 288

Notice how our d-linemen are all 260+ save for Eiland for had to cut down in order to be a stand up end. It's a shame how UNT especially is having d-line troubles when their HC is supposedly a d-line guru.

What was Texas State's OL and DL like last year?

• Upvote 2

Oh, I don't think many would argue that we are relevant in the state of Texas. The deal is UTSA is even more irrelevant right now.

I don't blame UTSA fans getting mad at us. I just have no clue why we're even talking about the Roadrunners. Until the week we play them, they really deserve no more attention than any other opponent on the schedule. If they become our rival in a generation, fine. As of right now they're just another school we play. I hate that so many NT fans getting so bent out of shape over these guys.

I don't know. I don't think anybody's really getting bent out of shape about them. They have not done anything to warrant much attention, save for beating up on a JV schedule last year. I mean, give them their due for that at least.

LT - Harper 6'6 300

LG - Cloud 6'4 314

C - Redman 6'1 285

RG - Forsch 6'3 307

RT - Oragwu 6'3 324

(We run a 3-4 again)

DT - Braswell 6'5 268

DT - Mbu 6'2 312

DT - Mark 6'3 288

This would be awesome for a Houston thread. Do you want to start one?

• Upvote 1

Has nothing to do with who you are and everything to do with where you are located. Start 100 years ago and it would be completely different.

• Upvote 1