Why Guts?

BIG DAWG

Since when did guts pass talent when fans discuss players? Especially when our QB position gets discussed...

Thompson is not good...not average...not decent...

Doesn't make him a bad guy...hell I'm not a good QB either, nor is my brother or any of my friends...we're still ok people.

BUT...I keep hearing he's got guts...he's tough...he's experienced...he bleeds green!

You know what I see? Overthrow...underthrow...pick...pick 6...slow...throws off back foot...

I hear the Kansas State game...they gave him the underneath stuff all night...the only passes he completed all year were underneath dinks and dunks...an extension of the run game.

Check out the "highlight" clips from last year...even the completions the WRs had to be high jumping contortionists...it's horrible!

I promise to be there every Saturday, but damn it may just kill me to have to watch him again this season!

It's nice if your QB has "guts", its nice if he's a "gamer", but what I want most, first and foremost...TALENT throwing the ball to receivers in a position to let them make plays!

THAT'S WHAT I WANT! Thompson cannot be that person

But....But....But....Top Five!

But yea, I hear ya, and feel ya, but I think we are in for more of the same on this front. I hope he proves us wrong.

• Upvote 1

This offense is way too good to be 105th in the nation in scoring. This is the best o-line we've had since Mac got here, the best receiving corp since he's been here, and the deepest backfield since he's been here.

That's just my opinion. You could make a case that it'll be tough to be better than last year's o-line, but since Mac has been here he has been building this team around our three junior lineman Johnson, Y'Barbo, and Lemon. Also, no more receiver excuses. If DT isn't producing we have to give someone else a chance.

This thread brings back a memory from last season. We love to make critical remarks here on the message board. I'm curious if any of you are as vocal at the stadium on game day.

I recall the Arkansas St game last year. Right before the half, they scored a touchdown and went up 30-12.

The facts of that day: I had my daughter with me and zero drinks in me.

That touchdown took place, I shook my head, and said, very calmly, in an inside voice, "They're making it look effortless. There's nothing we can do to stop them."

This woman angrily clears her throat and flashes a necklace at me, clearly her son's jersey number. She proceeds with a few choice words. I don't say anything, just calmly walk away.

I looked up that number in the program, and her son didn't even play on defense. Hell, he didn't even play.

But it was a reminder that when at the stadium on game day, it's apparently all unicorns and rainbows no matter what the situation.

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's less a case of certain people valuing "guts" over talent and more a case of people recognizing that we're 40 something year old men & women who are routinely drawn into ruthless criticism of 20yr olds and trying to instead highlight the positives of this young man.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

What is the story with the others QBs as we head into camp? Is there a chance that someone else wins the job?

McNulty surprised many with how he has developed.

BB was injured and has ground to make up this Fall.

Dajon Williams, Dual Threat Frosh. Should be interesting to see how he competes

Talent without drive is worthless.

Drive without talent is only a little better than worthless.

I would prefer a QB with both.

Wouldn't we all but who is saying that we have quarterbacks who are not driven? I dare say that every FBS level quarterback is driven or they wouldn't be Division I quarterbacks. It may come down to how hard you're driven but no one has the talent to just mail it in nor the pride to do less than their best. Likewise, every FBS level quarterback has talent or he wouldn't be there. My money's on the one with the most talent.

Wouldn't we all but who is saying that we have quarterbacks who are not driven? I dare say that every FBS level quarterback is driven or they wouldn't be Division I quarterbacks. It may come down to how hard you're driven but no one has the talent to just mail it in nor the pride to do less than their best. Likewise, every FBS level quarterback has talent or he wouldn't be there. My money's on the one with the most talent.

This

I think you can make up for "some" lack of talent with pure guts.Riley Dodge was not the most talented QB we have ever had,but had more guts that any Eagle that I can recall. Thompson is,in my opinion, an average QB who for the 1st time in his career is healthy and has a decent O line. In addition,he appears to be the "pick of the litter

",so how about some support for our starting QB.

I think you can make up for "some" lack of talent with pure guts.Riley Dodge was not the most talented QB we have ever had,but had more guts that any Eagle that I can recall. Thompson is,in my opinion, an average QB who for the 1st time in his career is healthy and has a decent O line. In addition,he appears to be the "pick of the litter

",so how about some support for our starting QB.

Don't confuse lack of trust with lack of support. We all support him, but our trust in his ability took a huge hit after watching him play last year.

Also, saying he didn't have a decent o-line last year is ridiculous. That makes it sound like you're using our o-line giving him no time to throw as an excuse. They gave him all day to throw last year and that's a major reason why their is doubt in his ability.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Don't confuse lack of trust with lack of support. We all support him, but our trust in his ability took a huge hit after watching him play last year.

Also, saying he didn't have a decent o-line last year is ridiculous. That makes it sound like you're using our o-line giving him no time to throw as an excuse. They gave him all day to throw last year and that's a major reason why their is doubt in his ability.

Most of McCarney's passing offense was designed for fast releases and few sacks. There were some plays were Thompson had time to throw but no open receivers. NT seldom used a full set of WR's and the te's were mainly blockers. I don't think Thompson had a good year by any means but he was running for his life as much as he was setting back in the pocket on any pass that took time to develop. I think NT's ol was maybe their best unit but they were not the powerhouse that some seem to think.

I guess you are right. Any team ranked in the bottom 10% of 1a teams in the nation must have a great O line. That's why we rank so high in rushing.If you can't run, you can't pass.By the by,when both 1a and 1aa rankings are combined,we will wind up somewhere between 150th and 175th.Without a winning season in 10 years, we have become the New Mexico State of Texas. In golf, it's called L.O.F.T., as noted by the number of Eagles picked preseason all conference,none.

I guess you are right. Any team ranked in the bottom 10% of 1a teams in the nation must have a great O line. That's why we rank so high in rushing.If you can't run, you can't pass.By the by,when both 1a and 1aa rankings are combined,we will wind up somewhere between 150th and 175th.Without a winning season in 10 years, we have become the New Mexico State of Texas. In golf, it's called L.O.F.T., as noted by the number of Eagles picked preseason all conference,none.

We were ranked where we were in rushing because teams put 12 in the box on 1st and 2nd down then went dime on 3rd...and always had the right defense called. Oh, and the wing zone had as many receptions from DT as Brelan did.

• Upvote 4

I didn't say we had a great o-line, just stating that your post makes it sound like you're complaining about our o-line not giving DT enough time to throw. We were fine at o-line last year, we will be again this year.

And yes, Emmitt is right. We were running with the box stacked all the time. Also, I feel that Brandin Byrd wasted a lot of good run blocking last year, but that's another story.

As for "LOFT" we had two players who could've easily been first-team in Zach Orr and Cyril Lemon. In many preseason magazines Orr and Lemon are first team and Akunne, Whitfield, Chancellor and fellow o-lineman Antonio Johnson and Mason Y'Barbo have been receiving preseason all-conference hype as well. We have enough talent, especially on offense.

Most of McCarney's passing offense was designed for fast releases and few sacks. There were some plays were Thompson had time to throw but no open receivers. NT seldom used a full set of WR's and the te's were mainly blockers. I don't think Thompson had a good year by any means but he was running for his life as much as he was setting back in the pocket on any pass that took time to develop. I think NT's ol was maybe their best unit but they were not the powerhouse that some seem to think.

Yeah that does contribute to the few sacks, but let's not take away from the job they did last year. There were more complex, long developing routes than you make it seem. Mac and Chico trusted our o-line to give DT time to throw and they called plays accordingly.

Yes the o-line was not a powerhouse, but they were consistent game in and game out. Something DT was far from.

Edited by BillySee58

There is a reason we are ranked preseason between UTEP and UTSA in CUSA/West,and in the bottom 10% in the nation and it's not because of below average QB play or just average O line play.It's because we are a bad TEAM .Orr and Lemon may be stars for the Eagles,but didn't even make 2nd team all conference..I see little difference in the 2a, 3a& 4a kids coach Mac is bringing in than those recruited by coach Dickey.And if Thompson is so bad,how come we have no one who can take away his starters role ? .Mac is in his 3rd year, and we are hoping for 4 to 6 wins. I have been following Eagle football since 61', and while we are certainly better than when coach Dodge was losing games,we are not nearly as good as when coach Dickey was winning them.Bottom line: are we as good a TEAM as we were when we won 4 Sun Belt championships in a row,because that is my gold standard.

Edited by wardly