Need input regarding a C-USA Texas team trophy

Harry

If you want a Texas corporate sponsor why not go with Acme Brick? While Im not sure they have offices in every city. Im confident they would like their product used in every city.

The trophy would be an oversized brick - i.e. The Battle for the Brick. Each year the team/school that wins will have their name and year etched into it and they keep the brick until the following season when a new winner is announced.

The brick will make an appearance at each applicable game giving ACME some facetime on televised games.

ACME could also pass out little foam bricks to the kids. Etc etc.

BTW - Always thought this a fun idea for a renewed series with SMU. That, or we just decapitate a horse every time we win.

Edited by adman
  • Upvote 2

A golden dumpster with silver flames would be the PERFECT trophy for UTSA, Rice, UNT and UTEP to play for.

img_3216.jpg

Texas A&M, Nebraska, Colorado, and Mizzou think you are the pot calling the kettle black. Enjoy the AQ Dumpster Fire until its no longer AQ. Big XII will follow the Big East into oblivion once Texas, OU, and KU hit the road.

The MWC will take you back, though, so you'll always have Albuquerque...you can let your fellow Baylor fans know where the best places are too not drink in the Mountain West. Non-alcoholic ticks will need to find new blood, though...

• Upvote 3

I like the overall idea of a competition between the C-USA Texas schools. You have my support for the concept but I can certainly see a lot of issues that would need to be worked out.

For some of the reasons a couple of y’all already mentioned, swapping the flag each game would cause logistic problems. Two options are to have someone volunteer to transport the flag when necessary or each team could have a copy of the flag and they could only fly it when they’ve earned the right to.

I don’t see “charging” the field to swap it out realistically happing. Some schools have strict rules about going onto the field after a game. Maybe the “cheer” groups or mascots or something could get involved in that.

The easier option would be to let the school with the most wins at the end of the year fly it till the end of the next season. I know this doesn’t create as much week to week excitement but it would be an easier idea to sell to the school administration.

We would also need to figure out how to determine the winner in the event of a tie. Not a hard thing to do but something to consider. Most points or best overall record or most wins against other Texas schools, etc…

I like the “Come And Take It” flag idea. I see that the school mascot pictures replace the cannon on the flag and it doesn’t look bad but I feel many may want to see something on there that actually needs to be taken. Like a picture of a football trophy or something.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I like the overall idea of a competition between the C-USA Texas schools. You have my support for the concept but I can certainly see a lot of issues that would need to be worked out.

For some of the reasons a couple of y’all already mentioned, swapping the flag each game would cause logistic problems. Two options are to have someone volunteer to transport the flag when necessary or each team could have a copy of the flag and they could only fly it when they’ve earned the right to.

I don’t see “charging” the field to swap it out realistically happing. Some schools have strict rules about going onto the field after a game. Maybe the “cheer” groups or mascots or something could get involved in that.

The easier option would be to let the school with the most wins at the end of the year fly it till the end of the next season. I know this doesn’t create as much week to week excitement but it would be an easier idea to sell to the school administration.

We would also need to figure out how to determine the winner in the event of a tie. Not a hard thing to do but something to consider. Most points or best overall record or most wins against other Texas schools, etc…

I like the “Come And Take It” flag idea. I see that the school mascot pictures replace the cannon on the flag and it doesn’t look bad but I feel many may want to see something on there that actually needs to be taken. Like a picture of a football trophy or something.

I like the Come and Take it as well. But I also like the DQ and the Four Corners concept...I like the "Armadillo Bowl or Trophy" too...maybe have Scott Bakula fly in and award the Armadillo trophy or Coach Genero...lol

I'm no math major but you have to figure that there are 3 Texas team games that each of us will always have in football because all four of us are in the same division. In the case of a tie you give the team the nod who won the head to head. So say UNT and UTSA both were 2-1 you would take the winner of the UTSA UNT game and give them the flag/trophy. If there is some math issue that doesn't allow you to use head to head as the tie breaker then you keep the flag with the team that had it the year before or somesuch.... or perhaps you draw straws.. the point is this is something that will add some fun and excitement and help to build RIVALRIES early on. Get a sponsor that agrees to provide the fans of the team that wins some free item at one of the games and you can use it to build attendance as well!

I like the Come and Take it as well. But I also like the DQ and the Four Corners concept...I like the "Armadillo Bowl or Trophy" too...maybe have Scott Bakula fly in and award the Armadillo trophy or Coach Genero...lol

I'm no math major but you have to figure that there are 3 Texas team games that each of us will always have in football because all four of us are in the same division. In the case of a tie you give the team the nod who won the head to head. So say UNT and UTSA both were 2-1 you would take the winner of the UTSA UNT game and give them the flag/trophy. If there is some math issue that doesn't allow you to use head to head as the tie breaker then you keep the flag with the team that had it the year before or somesuch.... or perhaps you draw straws.. the point is this is something that will add some fun and excitement and help to build RIVALRIES early on. Get a sponsor that agrees to provide the fans of the team that wins some free item at one of the games and you can use it to build attendance as well!

What about the possibility of 3 teams being 2-1 (with one being 0-3), which is a possibility this year with UTSA yet to really prove themselves. That would provide tough tiebreak.

Good points. Probably don't want fans rushing the field or anything. What if a spirit group brings the flag down off the flagpole and hands it to the team captain or something? There would have to be a changing of the flag in some sort of way on the field or else it kinda loses its luster. I also like something else in the middle that you actually want to "take" rather than the 4 team mascots previously shown... like maybe a cannon or something? Also, since UTSA plays in a dome, is there a place to put this flag that would allow for it to be taken down easily rather than hanging from some rafters or something?

• Upvote 3

What about the possibility of 3 teams being 2-1 (with one being 0-3), which is a possibility this year with UTSA yet to really prove themselves. That would provide tough tiebreak.

OK say UNT, UTEP and Rice are 2-1 and UTSA is 0-3. Maybe you take the point totals in the game between the three tied teams and give it to the team of those three that won by the biggest margin or scored the most points in those games? There has to be a way...

OK say UNT, UTEP and Rice are 2-1 and UTSA is 0-3. Maybe you take the point totals in the game between the three tied teams and give it to the team of those three that won by the biggest margin or scored the most points in those games? There has to be a way...

Oh, I'm sure there's a way.

Maybe give it to the team who has the best OVERALL conference record of the 3. If still tied, then your scenario.

• Upvote 1

Maybe we should consider this more as a regional pride thing than a school only pride thing. As was mentioned earlier, these games include 4 out of the state's 5 metro areas. Is there some way to work that fact in? Again, taking the Cascadia Cup model from the MLS (Vancouver, Seattle and Portland), it's not just team pride on the line, it's civic pride as well.

Additional scatter-shot thoughts:

• I like a flag. As far as figuring out, we should consider several tiebreakers - Texas on Texas record, overall record, points against, attendance, distance from a major highway (Rice would never win, it's a close call for the other three), selectivity (Rice needs something).
  • Having been to games at all of the schools and having lived in 3 of the 4 cities (sorry Swamp Castle), this is a big thing for everyone - let's not mess it up.
  • Corporate sponsorship isn't coming unless our broadcast partners talk about it. If they do, there are a lot of options - for example, anyone ask Southwest?
  • This seems like something that the CUSA would be interesting in finding a sponsor for over the individual schools.
  • Whatever we do, has anyone bothered to figure out how much it costs to by a Safeway shopping cart?
  • Upvote 2

If one school ever leaves the conference, we could it the Trinity Cup, but since there are four of us and we are widely scattered, I suppose the Waltz Across Texas Trophy might work. I like the "Come and Take It" idea.

• Upvote 1

The concept of having a flag that the team with the best record can fly at the games is really starting to grow on me... A the end of a big win I could see the winning teams cheerleaders waving the flag to the fans....

Each game Between the teams has a flag on the line, maybe attached to a goalpost or endzone. Winner gets to collect the flag. End the year with the most flags earns the trophy/flag for the next season.

Capture the flag, yo.

Actually, yeah!

We could do it such where every individual team has just their own logo....

lKqBAsf.png

Collect them all!

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1

It can be anything. Some of the coolest rival trophies are a jug, an axe, a skillet.

And I think this trophy is something that should change hands at the end of a game. Someone gets the trophy for having the most wins the first year, then it is up for grabs every time the current champion plays another Texas team.

Here are some ideas:

The Bluebonnet Cup (Just a cup trophy with a bluebonnet etching)

The Dutch Oven (just what it sounds like)

The USS Texas (a bronze replica of the official state ship of Texas)

The Texas Armadillo (a bronze critter with the Texas flag etching)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I like the Armadillo idea. It just has Texas written all over it! It's quirky. C-USA is a bit quirky and quirky is good! Get it rolling advertise it all season - celebrate Texas C-USA every Saturday this fall!

Armadillo Gold: Beat Rice Beat UTEP Beat the South Texas dirtybirds

GMG

• Upvote 2

A golden dumpster with silver flames would be the PERFECT trophy for UTSA, Rice, UNT and UTEP to play for.

img_3216.jpg

LOL!!! I'm sorry but I thought this was funny as hell.

How about the a Golden Pecan Cup. I'm thinking a trophy cup kinda like the one Ogre carried in Revenge of the Nerds filled with pecans.

• Upvote 2